Options

Understanding the VMWare Cert Structure

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm wondering if I understand this correctly: The VCA6 exams are not prerequisites for the VCP6 exams, or for anything for that matter. So instead of a traditional cert structure where one passes associate first, then prof, etc, VMWare created a single associate exam for each associate track that has value for the associate track only. And then for the professional track, they created a double exam set, the first of which (vsphere foundations) does not award any certification. Is that accurate?

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    9bits wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I understand this correctly: The VCA6 exams are not prerequisites for the VCP6 exams, or for anything for that matter. So instead of a traditional cert structure where one passes associate first, then prof, etc, VMWare created a single associate exam for each associate track that has value for the associate track only. And then for the professional track, they created a double exam set, the first of which (vsphere foundations) does not award any certification. Is that accurate?

VCA6 are very basic certification. I think they exist because they are requiring a mandatory training course for the VCP level certs. Also they broke up the VCP6-DCV certs in to 2 exam, so depending on the track you want to follow, you can take only the first basic test then progress toward the path you wan (DV, DCV, and another but my memory is failing me).

In my opinion, don't do the VCA6 certs if your intent is to do the VCP. Keep your money to pay for the mandatory training. I did the VCA when they were Beta, I did then for nothing or like 20$. They are not worth more in my opinion.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes. However, if you keep current and recertify regularly (before it expires), you only need to recertify at the same level with one exam. So you should only need a foundation exam once. The foundation exam isn't a real challenge if you are actually going for VCP.

The VCA's are aimed more at people who might be selling VMware or only using it occasionally. The VCP's are where it's at. Like SteveLavoie says, if you plan on doing VCP, don't mess with the VCA.

For the mandatory training (only required once, if you keep on top of the recertification), try to find a VMware Academy as it can be much, much cheaper.

Not ideal (nor is the 2 year recertification period), but not horrendous.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I put myself on the waitlist at Stanley for the vsphere foundations course. I'd like to get the VCP6-DCV eventually.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The first VMware cert to exist was the VCP.

They stepped upwards from VCP with VCAP and then VCDX, long before they released the VCA - which kind of explains why VCA is standalone while the other certs are linked together.

Most people still start their path with VCP, and it really is considered the minimum benchmark by employers/recruiters - as others have already said.

Up til the v6 VCPs, only 1 exam was required. Why 2 exams now? The vSphere Foundations exam is a "core" exam, common across all 4 solution areas that have a VCP - DCV, DTM, CMA, and NV - so you pass it once but it can lead to different VCPs.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on this path!

I am VCP since vSphere 3.5, and I had to renew for version 4, 5. Then VMware change their policy that now you update each 2 years and not at each major version, so I had to renew on 5.5. Now 2 years later, in January, I renewed on version 6. Every renewal, it is a mandatory 2-3 month of study and labbing for feature I won't use. It's part of my job as I work as my company VMware SME (we are a VMware Partner).

I did the Design Class in 2014, I will eventually do the VCAP-DCD. Just waiting to to my CISSP before and other certs.