Options

Passed 70-246 Today

rexnewmanrexnewman Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed this baby today by a comfortable margin, though I had not felt comfortable at all during the test, having marked at least a third of the questions for review with no confidence in the answer.

70-246 is the so-called "Private Cloud" monitoring and operations exam. It's really all about System Center, and in a real-world IT organization the skills tested would be on the upper tier of operations, mostly bordering on engineering tasks.

I'm by no means a System Center SME, but I have a pretty good understanding of SCOM and CM. My only virtualization experience is with VMWare, so my VMM knowledge was all theoretical, as were Service Manager and Orchestrator.

To prepare I used the System Center 2012 official course books, which brought back some memories from the official course and lab work I did a couple years ago; and caught up with the R2 additions on Technet and other sources. I got a hold of some practice questions which were a lifesaver in terms of preparing for the types of questions asked, although only a few of them resembled the questions on the actual test, and there were no case studies in the prep material. There are some patterns they ask over and over and it really helps to know what each server role does.

Three case studies on the test. One of them really irked me off because two of the questions were about a management pack that had hardly any detail in the description.

I'd recommend this test to anyone with the Server 2012 MCSA, as it grants an MCSE title. It might be all System Center, but any cert with "Cloud" in the title looks good on a CV. icon_cool.gif