Options

Finished MSISA at WGU!

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
Yesterday, I passed the last subject which is the CAPSTONE for MSISA.

I started Oct 2015 and finished March 16. It took a long time since work and LIFE. I had to juggle CCIE-Security written test while studying MSISA. Anyway, I have to stay at my current employer for a year, so that I can pay back the tuition. icon_cry.gif
My next move is CISSP. icon_study.gif Ive read the books 3x. Ive watched the CBT videos twice now. Im going to do it 1 last time and then get cccure. Any advice to pass in 1st attempt?

What did you guys do after Masters?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! The answer to what comes after the masters: DRINKS!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations!!! Drinks on me at CLUS!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hell yeah! Congrats.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on finishing! For the CISSP hit up that forum, lots of threads there detailing their plans. Check out the official Sybex book, the 11th hour book, CCcure quiz engine, etc. I highly recommend the free cybrary.it videos, very helpful.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Way to go icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Well done.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    Congrats !!

Treat yourself to somethin good :)
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have been thinking about the WGU MSISA. You did it in about 6 months? That's great!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! I am 75% in w/ my written capstone....How was the oral presentation? Was it hard?
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Yesterday, I passed the last subject which is the CAPSTONE for MSISA.

I started Oct 2015 and finished March 16. It took a long time since work and LIFE. I had to juggle CCIE-Security written test while studying MSISA. Anyway, I have to stay at my current employer for a year, so that I can pay back the tuition. icon_cry.gif
    My next move is CISSP. icon_study.gif Ive read the books 3x. Ive watched the CBT videos twice now. Im going to do it 1 last time and then get cccure. Any advice to pass in 1st attempt?

What did you guys do after Masters?
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    yellowpad wrote: »
    Congrats!! I am 75% in w/ my written capstone....How was the oral presentation? Was it hard?

I found the Oral Defense pretty straightforward in the MS - ITM degree program at WGU and I'm sure it's the same for the MSISA as long as you cover all the points in the rubric. They asked me no questions on mine after the presentation. I hope this helps!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thank you...I am trying to wrap it all up next week. Are you going to Utah for the walk?
    I found the Oral Defense pretty straightforward in the MS - ITM degree program at WGU and I'm sure it's the same for the MSISA as long as you cover all the points in the rubric. They asked me no questions on mine after the presentation. I hope this helps!! :)
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

dakinggamer is correct.
    It wasnt hard. 9 people showed up on mine but the questions were very easy. You will be fine as long as you stick to your written capstone.
    I would say your capstone is the real work.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats !!!

To answer your first question:
    Since you went through your Masters you will have an easier time to pass the exam. You have to think like a manager. cccure will help. Clement DuPuis is a CISSP god and the others on the site will assist with questions. Read the OIG (original ISC2 Guide) and the AIO (All In One) as well. There are some other free resources that may help but you should be able to kill it. Careful with the MOST, LEAST questions...

To answer your second question:
    I am currently working on my Masters. I am doing a B&M because of location and mostly NSA accreditation. I challenged some of the profs since they know me outside of class..... so I think if I were you, I would empty my third leg and drink.
  • Options
    dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Glad to hear someone in my same program who is of the calibur for the CCIE-Sec! I myself cannot seem to pass the bloody CCNA-Sec. After I finish WGU, in a few months hopefully, going to try professional graduate certificate at Harvard Extension, then apply and try to get into Georgia Tech's MSci in Computer Science, then MSISE at the SANS Institute.

Then the CCNA Sec icon_neutral.gif

I'm hoping that our WGU degree suffices to pull in top jobs. The rest is just to stay on top of the field.

I currently have only novice coding skills but am looking for open source projects to contribute to in order to build up a profile for computer science (starting with simple bug fixes). It seems all the top admin jobs expect strong scripting skills so I'm doing that in hopes to get beyond being a mid-level system admin.
  • Options
    Thank you...I am trying to wrap it all up next week. Are you going to Utah for the walk?

Yup I will be going in July with a few other TE members. :)

• Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    dakinggamer is correct.
    It wasnt hard. 9 people showed up on mine but the questions were very easy. You will be fine as long as you stick to your written capstone.
    I would say your capstone is the real work.

I'd agree once I got the prospectus to pass it was smooth sailing. :)

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Hoping to be joining you soon.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I'm in a similar timeline as you. Started Oct 15'. Expected to finish in May I guess. Was hoping I'd be done this month, but life happens. I did my CISSP while doing the MSISA, so that delayed things a bit, but glad its done. My biggest tip: Have someone read you questions out of the CISSP test question book and you answer. You really have to think about the question vs picking from the multiple choice.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    Lets party...I can't miss this. I skipped all the walks in my life and this will be my first and last :D Lets party!
    Yup I will be going in July with a few other TE members. :)
  • Options
    Lets party...I can't miss this. I skipped all the walks in my life and this will be my first and last :D Lets party!

Sounds great!! :)

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats, that's a great achievement.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on finishing your MSISA! I definitely know all about it taking too long due to life and other pursuits icon_wink.gif. I'd recommend skipping the cccure and picking up the official practice exam book instead.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your accomplishment, I hope to join you sometime this year. As for what I would do, I plan on resuming my certification track about 2 weeks after completing my MBA:ITM!!!

Again, way to go NOCNinja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cccure is great. I took mine before the refresh, so I don't know that this is still valid, but the best study aide for me was the McGraw hill test engine. primarily because it explained the answers even when you got a question right.
  • Options
    I passed my written Capstone today................pending the Oral defense. Do I wait for the evaluator to contact me? Should I upload my PP presentation? This is not clear to me........ help :)
  • Options
    I passed my written Capstone today................pending the Oral defense. Do I wait for the evaluator to contact me? Should I upload my PP presentation? This is not clear to me........ help :)

You will get an email with all the instructions for the Oral Defense shortly after passing the Capstone. :)

• Options
    vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations OP! I just finished my written report and on to oral presentation. I will be submitting my slides and oral presentation so no phone call. Anyway planning to do my CISSP after the program. Hoping the see a few of you guys in LV in July.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vaneets wrote: »
    Congratulations OP! I just finished my written report and on to oral presentation. I will be submitting my slides and oral presentation so no phone call. Anyway planning to do my CISSP after the program. Hoping the see a few of you guys in LV in July.

That's my plan! Right before Defcon.