Options

Senior Systems Administrator / Engineer - Interview - Quiz?

kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
Hello Everyone,

I have a senior level Systems Administrator/Engineer interview soon.

This role will have me doing The Design, Implementation as well as the support of the organizations System.

They are looking for someone with Microsoft Infrastructure skills - you know the usual Microsoft stack.

Can someone ask me questions regarding this?

So I could be better prepared !

Cheers :)
live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is this just related to MS systems or will you be involved with connectivity to non-MS stuff as well? Citrix, VMware, NetApp, EMC, etc. That's where real systems engineering comes into play, being able to discuss thee difference between iSCSI and NFS and knowing the iOPS requirements for different systems under different loads.
  • Options
    I have no idea about that ,

but in the advertisement it stated the technologies that I will be working in is in the following domain.

* Office 365
    * Azure
    * Windows Server Stack / Windows Client OS
    * System Centre Suite
    * Identity and Access management
    * Scripting and automation
    * Wsus
    * Data Protection
  • Options
    can anyone ask me any questions yo ?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You are designing a multisite active directory implementation. There is one head office of 150 users, and 3 branch offices of 20, 10, and 100 users. You have one forest and 3 domains. What roles must you deploy? What roles must you keep separate? How many domain controllers would you use, what sites would you deploy DC to? Why?

When would you favour System Centre over WSUS?

How would you manage an upgrade of client PCs running a mix of Windows 7, Vista and 8 to Windows 10?

What deployment model of Office 365 would you use for a legal firm of 80 users?

How would you ensure continuous uptime and back up for Exchange 2013?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I can give you a couple of the ones I've been asked during interviews, lately:
    -
    1. Discuss Active Directory replication, in particular KCC, intersite transport, and bridgehead servers. What tools would you use to troubleshoot replication issues?
    2. What are the FSMO Roles? What does each one do? Describe the process for moving or seizing a role.
    3. What are the partitions of Active Directory. What do they do, how are they used? How would you go about viewing or modifying them? Under what circumstances would you ever modify an Active Directory partition?
    4. What is the PowerShell pipeline, and how does one cmdlet know how to handle objects passed through it from another?
    5. What are the benefits of IPSec, what is needed to set it up, and what are the drawbacks?
    6. A Linux administrator asks you to confirm LDAP and LDAPS on a Domain Controller, what tools could you use to test it? Can this be done in PowerShell, and if so, how?
    7. An old Domain Controller goes offline. You decide to remove it from Active Directory and build a new DC with the same IP address. Do you give this Domain Controller the same name as the old one? Why or why not?
    8. How does ADFS work, how does it relate to Active Directory Domain Services, and what are some examples of cases to deploy ADFS?
    9. Describe how you would capture and output errors that occur in a PowerShell script.
    10. What are the top five security problems a Windows administrator faces? Why do you think they are the biggest issues? How would you go about addressing them?
    -
    Those are some of the more straightforward questions I've been asked in interviews for senior-level Windows/AD admin jobs. More commonly, you're asked bigger, hairier scenario-questions that are testing your ability to think on your feet and determine your process for troubleshooting, delegating tasks, and dealing with stressful situations.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.