Options

Would it be weird/inadvisable to do CCNP Sec without having completed CCNP R&S?

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just curious...

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you can be okay since the CCNP Sec will probably rely more on the CCNA Sec than the RS. However knowing some of the CCNA RS might help. I don't have the certs so please don't take my words as final verdict. This is from my observation.
    9bits wrote: »
    Just curious...
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    I don't think you would need CCNP R&S. I got my CCNA R&S before my CCNA Sec, but I could have done it the other way around. Keep in mind that's the CCNA and not NP though.
  • Options
    Alright, sounds good. I never planned on going down the Cisco security path, but since that's mostly what I'm working with I figured it was my best bet. Starting on the CCNA Sec soon.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security is the prerequisite for CCNP Sec. I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap between the CCNP Sec and the ICND2 (this is the difference between the CCNA Sec and the R&S certs.) Anything that happens to be covered in both ICND2 and CCNP Sec would not hinder someone from going for the CCNP Sec.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did CCNP Security without CCNP R&S. It was not a problem.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Good to know. I wish I could just jump into CCNP Sec without CCNA Sec, since it seems the material in CCNP Sec is most relevant to me. But as some great architect once said, "Foundations are important."
  • Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    CCNA Security was a good foundation to what comes in CCNP and have refereed to somethings while currently studying 300-209
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC