Options

CISSP-ISSAP Prep - quick question pls

scascscasc Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Dear all,

Have heard that if one knows the CISSP domains relevant for the ISSAP pretty well (from the CISSP CBK + bibliography references from the CBK) then that should be enough to pass without having to go over the ISSAP CBK.

Can anyone advise/confirm?

Best wishes
AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Didn't read CBK and passed by knowing domains pretty well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. Did you know the domains from your cissp studies that enabled you to attempt issap?
  • Options
    Not sure if I understand the question. Sure, there's some intersection between them and I was aware of that. As for CISSP studies I didn't use CBK for CISSP as well.
  • Options
    Right, I understand sorry. You knew the domains well beforehand and you attempted the exam. Do you know if its worth getting the ISSAP book if I have the CISSP CBK? Wanted to find out which one to use as have heard from some sources getting the ISSAP book is pointless if you have the CISSP CBK? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Can't say for sure as I didn't read it therefore I have no opinion. From what I'm gathering on this forum, people say that CBK is bad and not enough anyways for those who don't have much experience in the field but are trying to enter it instead and therefore lack a lot of knowledge that could have come via experience. Many use "Security Engineering" by Ross Anderson to complement their studies. I didn't read this book in full, but i've read 5-6 chapters I needed and the book is very good and of high quality.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response - I was going to mention that book also but a friend said it did not help for the exam though was a good read.

Anyone else know between either books (ISSAP CBK or CISSP CBK)?

Best wishes
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think OP is asking, if you can just use the CISSP material/topics. Master those topics and it will be enough to pass ISSAP without study or reading any ISSAP related books.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was interested in doing the ISSAP test but the only official documentation seems to be the CBK and the reviews about it list it as not covering all of the necessary topics contained in the actual ISSAP CIB.

There has to be material out there that is of high enough quality to use as a valid reference.
  • Options
    @chrisone - spot on - that is exactly what I am looking for, to see if anyone can confirm or not.

I guess I will have to freestyle it a bit - since I am an ISC2 member, get the ISSAP book for discount, perhaps also get these new CISSP test papers ISC2 have released to get my mind focusing on the relevant topics coupled by perhaps looking at the bibliography for some further reading.

Appreciate the book is not perfect, but gotta start somewhere.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to pass on

Best wishes...
  • Options
    denjindenjin Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I glossed over the CBK and passed. Just note the domains the test covers and perhaps look at some material referenced in the CIB.
  • Options
    Awesome - to confirm you glossed over the cissp CBK relevant sections and did some further reading via the CIB. So no need to get the ISSAP book?
  • Options
    Did you use the latest CISSP CBK book as I have the one I used prior to the syllabus changes? Presuming its still relevant and similar?
  • Options
    denjindenjin Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the ISSAP CBK from 2013 I think. It's not been updated in a while. Not read the CISSP one - my reference to glossing over the CBK was for the ISSAP CBK. I don't think it was particularly useful. CIB has lots of good references.
  • Options
    Many thanks for confirming. Have just downloaded the CIB - lots of references from books I suspect. I will get the ISSAP book as I get it a member discount and will go over the references in conjunction with the knowledge areas - I suspect that should hopefully get me through.