Current company asking for an updated resume?

SylabicumaSylabicuma Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I think this is weird. My current company is asking everyone to send in an updated resume. There hasn't been any reorganizations or anything. Should I be worried?

Comments

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could be interviewing for your own job, or they could be about to roll out an incentive track/plan based on training and certification. Hard to tell. Have you seen lots of closed door meetings and people around you don't recognize? I'd polish up that resume as fast as can be and get it submitted. keep it on hand to fire-off to would-be recruiters.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • SylabicumaSylabicuma Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    You could be interviewing for your own job, or they could be about to roll out an incentive track/plan based on training and certification. Hard to tell. Have you seen lots of closed door meetings and people around you don't recognize? I'd polish up that resume as fast as can be and get it submitted. keep it on hand to fire-off to would-be recruiters.

I don't work in office. The people that would be in the closed door meetings are halfway across the country. I only see those people about twice a year.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What kind of company/service industry are you in?

Many consulting/service companies keep employee resumes on file as they have to attach resources/skills/personnel for bidding on work. Some also keep track of this information at a more granular level to identify if their organization has skills gaps or untapped talents as they look to expand into other opportunities.

If the organization happens to be going through a re-org, merger, or acquisition then this could be part of re-aligning everyone and evaluating "synergies" aka duplicative efforts/personnel.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe some form of cost-analysis and appraisal of resource v. skill assessment. It seems you are worried now, so I'd say follow those instincts and spend a little time fixing that resume to make it just as appealing to your current boss as it would be to a future one.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pray for the best, plan for the worst.

The fact that they're asking for an updated resume without articulating "why" would concern me.
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We update our resumes every year to ensure that we have an accurate database of current employee skills/knowledge to help in bidding contracts. Don't worry, unless you've spent your time at the company just holding down a desk chair and not actually contributing :)
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you work for a contracting company or a company that provides services to other companies I'd say that's normal. They could be just taking inventory of what skill sets they have and what additional services they could provide.

If your a direct hire for a company and you work directly for the company I'd be more worried.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a former employer randomly ask for updated resumes from all employees because they wanted updates on certifications and educational progress. No one was fired or even promoted from what I remember, but they wanted to update their records internally.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They did that at a company I worked for. Resulted in an approximately 10% boost in pay.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me