Options

Looking for cyber security internships.

Hi guys,

I had a question about looking for internships in cyber security. I recently got my security+, and I was hoping that I would be able to find an internship in cyber security/information protection. I'm a Junior in an MIS bachelors degree program. I have about 2 years of work experience in a semi-technical capacity (repairing laptops, working the phones, doing lectures, etc.), and a competitive gpa.

My big problem right now is two fold-

1. Most of the internships for this summer have already had their application windows close.

2. I have basically no connections.

Luckily, I already have an internship lined up with an insurance company for the summer, but they might not be able to give me a security role. They've said its a possibility. I'll probably get stuck doing project analyst, something I don't want to do anymore and I feel would run counter-intuitive to the hard work I've poured into getting the certs I have now.

I'm willing to literally move to anywhere in the country to get something that will advance my career. What would be a good place to look right now? Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks.
"The winner takes it all"

Comments

• Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't understand this trend where people want to start in security. No offense but you need to be in the trenches for a bit and learn some networking before you can add value in a security role.

When you say cyber security, what do you mean? I think of SIEMs and staring at logs all day. Maybe you think of firewall rules and IDS/IPS. The former sounds awful to me.

Anything is possible but you may want to consider a different career path/route.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sent you a PM
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's an internship...unlikely you will do much of any significance either way. I would try to get an internship at THE BEST company you can as a lot of companies use internships to find entry level talent.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Cyber Student Volunteer Initiative (CSVI) is designed to give current students an opportunity to work alongside cyber leaders with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

https://www.dhs.gov/homeland-security-careers/cybersecurity-internship-program

Try searching for volunteer opportunities on ISSA:

http://issa-jobs.careerwebsite.com/c/search_results.cfm?site_id=513
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    @NetworkingStudent. It looks like the application period closed on January 20th. That would have been awesome...bummer.
    The ISSA site looks very helpful though! I already notices a few opportunities that interest me. I'll have to spend some with it. Thank you.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm willing to literally move to anywhere in the country to get something that will advance my career. What would be a good place to look right now? Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks.

Since you are willing to move anywhere, have the government pay for your education (bachelors, masters, doctoral) with CyberCorps Scholarship For Service. You pay back your assistance with government service. https://www.sfs.opm.gov
  • Options
    Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Interesting. I'll have to do more research into this. Sounds awesome.
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out https://www.uscyberpatriot.org

My company, Northrop is the diamond sponsor for this. We recruit lots of interns from this program because they've proven to be the best. But sounds like you're done with school. We still seek interns all the time. For my team, we have the same 2-3 coming back year after year. But $20/hr fresh out of college is a great pay for an intern!
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP