Who wants a great cybersecurity job in San Diego?

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
My employer (Northrop Grumman) continues to hammer us to reach out to our peers, seeking great cyber talent. We're slated to hire 350 people for just for my program here in San Diego. My cyber team needs talent too, the more the merrier!

Job requirements:
- Active Security Clearance
- Cybersecurity Experience (the more years, the higher your starting level)
- BS or MS degree
- DoD 8570 certification (Security+ at minimum)

I know I don't know any of you personally, but I've been on this forum a while and feel that we have some great talent here. Having worked at this employer now for almost 2 years, I do feel its a great opportunity, great pay, and great learning experience. We have a large cyber team of 22 people, and it's only growing.

We have rotational off Fridays, meaning every other Friday you get a 3 days weekend. We have work from home/Flex arrangements, great benefits, retirement, etc.

If you'd like to learn more, please PM me.

Having the opportunity to have someone on the inside has a far more likely chance of getting past HR and into an interview. So if you're looking for a move to a new city (San Diego is awesome), and want to find a great new career, I think this is a great time to work for one of the top DoD contractors who need great cyber talent.

Please PM
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm from San Diego, and I would LOVE to go back one day (I work 100% remote but all our family & friends are here). Agree with you, such an awesome city! Hopefully you can recruit someone from TE icon_thumright.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is, I know first hand. Actually they'll take someone with it over someone without, but doesn't mean they wont sponsor it if you dont have it. Its just the process is so damn long, it could be years to "become active".
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man, I'd love move to California. I'm from Canada and I'm tired of our cold long winters... it's snowing right now icon_cry.gif
    Yep, I spent 9 cold months in Toronto searching for jobs, only to come back home to California. My wife is from Canada. She misses home, but the weather definitely keeps her from wanting to move back.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Does it pay over $120k?
    Yes it can. Depends on what you can negotiate and years of experience, degree, etc
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That does sound nice. Wish I was out or headed out there. Any chance you can list the types of jobs?
    I will see if I can get some job reqs posted here
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I will see if I can get some job reqs posted here

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    This req is probably for my team, as it was posted on the 4th. However, we have 5 positions total with the word "cyber" in the title, and 22 with "systems engineer" in the title, which are usually still IT jobs, but not cyber focused. We have 229 current openings though in San Diego. (again looking to fill 350 this year I was told)

Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Cyber Security/Information Assurance Engineer to join the Resilient Network Solutions (RNS) operating unit. As part of Northrop Grumman's business focus area on Communications, RNS
    provides world-class communications with a range of capabilities spanning from quick reaction/urgent need programs to complex communication integration efforts. Our Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN) program is the leading supplier of airborne networks, providing flexible content delivery solutions for C2, ISR and disaster relief customers worldwide.

Work performed in San Diego, CA with the possibility of up to 10% travel (CONUS & OCONUS)

Roles & Responsibilities:
    The Information Assurance Engineer will provide expertise in the implementation of Department of Defense (DoD) Risk Management Framework (RMF) in accordance with DoDI 8510.01.

Tasks include:
    -Provide analysis, design, development, implementation and security assessments to ensure compliance with National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication (SP) 800-53, CNSSI 1253, and DoD RMF Knowledge Service guidance.
    -Support the transition from Department of Defense (DoD) Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP) to RMF.
    -Support the development of RMF documentation created from existing DIACAP documents.
    -Serve as a Cyber Security engineer (ISSE) supporting high-level technical and practical expertise
    -Apply Cyber Security technologies, including COMSEC, COMPUSEC, EMSEC, and OPSEC, computer systems, digital communications systems, network protocols, computer architectures, and computer security penetration tools and
    techniques
    -Apply analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to issues or studies concerning the efficiency and effectiveness of Cyber Security implementation
    -Support the continuous assessment of IA Control compliance for the program
    -Creates milestones, metrics and monitors adherence to software plans and
    -Schedules, identifies problems and obtains solutions, such as allocation of resources or adapting to changing contractual specifications.
    -Leads the documentation contributions of others assigned to the program from technical, support, and administrative areas
    -Communicate clearly and effectively with the development team and management.

There is the expectation that the hired candidate has the ability to provide recommendations for improvements and enhancements of platforms, systems and labs. A qualified candidate must be able to work in a dynamic and fast paced team environment and provide mentorship and guidance to junior team members.

Qualifications:

Basic Qualifications:
    -BS – Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM)and 5 Years with BS; 3 Years with Masters; 0 Years with PhD. 9 years of experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
    -A minimum of one IAW DoD 8570.01-M certificate at Level II for IAT, IAM, IASAE, or CNDSP is required
    -5 years of systems engineering experience with an IA background
    -DIACAP (documentation) and IA risk management experience
    -Candidate should have good interpersonal skills and be willing to work on a team project
    -Must have active Secret Security Clearance

Preferred Qualifications:
    -DoD 8500-series and 8510.01 IA policy directives, approaches to cyber security, knowledge of security procedures, IATO and ATO requirements
    -4 years experience with communication systems and able to work in a quick reaction program environment
    -Experience with Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN); BACN Intra flight Data Link Subsystem; Multifunction Advanced Data Link; interoperability testing; and data link simulations and products.
    -Additional skills including a combination of one or more of the following: Security+ certificate desired, CISSP preferred.
    -Software engineering experience/familiarity with (JAVA, C++), relational databases; kernel device driver configuring with JBoss and XML files; virtualization (e.g. with VM Ware)
    -Working knowledge of Linux System Administration with hands-on experience
    -Experience with Fortify, Splunk, Nessus and RMF controls analysis.
    -Excellent communication (written and oral), negotiation and interpersonal skills necessary to support known ISSE activities/challenges working with engineering teams, management, customers, partners and government.
    Verities , I see you have RHCSA and other Linux certs. You'd be a god among men (and women). RHEL expertise is always desired!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good luck. i hope you make some lasting friends in the process!

now if anyone wants to do the same in Denver :)
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Someone else asked about Colorado. We have openings there too (167), and quite a few for Cyber:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rktr0vcx5yuzpzh/Screenshot%202017-03-24%2014.41.30.png?dl=0

Just know that a level 4/5 job is awesome, and rare from what I've heard. Many people spend 20 years working their way up to a 5. Fastest way though is to have your certs, your experience and just be kick ass and come in at that level.

I can get more info on a req if anyone is interested, but San Diego is my focal point!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice I work in Aurora right now (ten miles east of denver).

Im just concerned with clearance. Will I fail because i cheated on a math test in high school or snooped on an ex's cell phone forever ago?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Nope. As long as you're not an avid drug user, have your finances in order, and loyalties are to the "right" country, you'll be fine. Just be upfront on the form about anything. You dont want them to find things later. Honesty is their "zinger"...they'll accept bankruptcies, past drug use, etc, but if you lie about it...it's almost a closed door forever.

The process just takes FOREVER....
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would love to take you up on that but SD is too far from Pittsburgh. I do have a Public Trust clearance thoughicon_lol.gif
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    interesting.

I'm actually looking to shake things up a bit, and my wife is from so cal and I have a clearance and degree/certs

Think I'll shoot you a pm.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you did something they will find it.........

Was at a party in high school, no formal charges anything but one of the kids had drugs. It was on their report.......
  • GadflyGadfly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in SD and have an active clearance. Unfortunately, I can't send PMs. Any other way I can get in touch or get more info?
    Looks like you dont have enough posts to send/receive a private message. I'd go comment on some posts to meet the requirement.

I'm still working on getting info on relocation assistance and salary range (if they'll post that). It might be only available to the candidate. But the positions are my team are level 3s, which is good and has a wide salary range depending upon experience and certs. Most people in here I think would come in on the higher end if you have some good certs, clearance, and some good experience.
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh man, wish I could jump on this! My clearance hasn't been around since 2012, so no dice there. I've been wanting to move to San Diego for the last 3-4 years. I tried moving there when I was still managing a paint store, but got tanked by my boss so he could keep me in Texas... Left anyway to go work in IT, but landed in Oklahoma instead.

I studied Arabic with a woman who worked for Northrop Grumman as a programmer. She absolutely loved the company, made a ton of money. The only reason she left was because she burned out on just being a developer, ended up shifting over to teaching math at a university and working on her PhD. But she always had good things to say about it.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hey dragonsden, does Northrop Grumman have any cyber staff out of their St Augustine, FL complex? I used to always check years back when I lived near it but never saw any over there. Just curious.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    I will check and get back to you. If there is something, I can see if I can get a resume to that team directly.
    @JoJoCal19: I've spoken to the recruiter in San Diego, and she is getting me contact info for the recruiter in St Augustine. When I hear more, I'll let you know.
    Also, thanks to all who have sent resumes over to me. I've submitted to my team. We have another opening that just came open, so they are hoping to fill quick. In case this thread gets revived, some great technical skills need on my team:

- ACAS (Nessus), STIGS, RMF, HBSS, GPOs, SHB (Windows 10), DIACAP, Networking, Vuln Management, and general DoD knowledge.

It really helps to have the DoD 8570 cert in hand (Security+ at min), but CISSP is always desired.
    Clearance is a must as well.

I'll continue to post updates as interest in this demands. Not sure when we'll slow down, but the team seems to just keep growing.
  • amicmanzoamicmanzo Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd jump on the wagon for this but I still have 6 months left on my military contract... Whhy
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are the chances that you could sponsor someone for a clearance and place them in Florida? It has crossed my mind that it would be good to move to Florida since my wife and I love the warm weather. Just curious nothing serious at the moment.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmmmm, Maybe I'll loot at a RHEL cert now. I love certs.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm interested! PM Set :>
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I saw your post and am interested in a job in SD with your company. However, I dont know if I meet the reqs. I had a TS/SCI w/CI poly while in the military (not sure if still active) and now I use my SECRET clearance working at a military base in Hawaii. The current job I have is only a temp contracting job (not to exceed June as I have been told) as an IT field service tech. However, although I have SEC+ and NET+, I only have 6 weeks of IT experience as this is my first IT job. I am studying for CASP right now and hope to take it in the near future. Do you think if I passed CASP I could have a better chance of being hired for a position within your company in San Diego or should I just wait and get more experience? Thank you for your time.