Options

Anyone else have difficulty fitting in with your IT coworkers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »
    A slight tangent but what are people's personal rules on interactions with coworkers outside of work? In previous jobs I've found that getting too close to coworkers only leads to problems and difficulties as you end up getting roped into functions (Birthdays/Parties/Events) and it becomes very hard to say no to favors/requests as you have a weird friend/college relationship.

Do most people keep it strictly professional?

As a married guy, I tend to skip a lot of social things with coworkers. Most are single guys, so the motivation for going out isn't really the same for me. But I do still talk and hang out and play games online with several coworkers.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A slight tangent but what are people's personal rules on interactions with coworkers outside of work? In previous jobs I've found that getting too close to coworkers only leads to problems and difficulties as you end up getting roped into functions (Birthdays/Parties/Events) and it becomes very hard to say no to favors/requests as you have a weird friend/college relationship.

I keep it pretty professional. My wife and son keep me too busy to socialize after work anyway. If I must hang out with co-workers (aka "mandatory fun") then I make sure alcohol never gets mixed in.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod

It's a big NO for me. It's all fun and games, until you sneeze and someone gets offended and goes to HR...sure that's not common but I don't need this in my life. My social life and professional are completely separate.

I do work lunches but that's it. Birthdays or drinks after - thanks but no thanks. I say im busy or got other plans (which is true).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My current job we are geographically dispersed so I am the only one within a couple hundred miles and we all work from home anyway but my last job me and a couple of girls from another dept. went out for dinner once or twice (my wife went also) but I never went anywhere with my manager other than a couple of lunches on company time (and company
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I think people make too much of this. Admittedly I generally don't because I tend to have other things I am already committed to doing, but I also don't feel overly anxious/worried something will go wrong or adversely affect me at work whenever I have done it. Alcohol or not.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've always gotten along fine with everyone at work. I prefer to not have much social interaction with coworkers outside of work though. Happy hour now and then is fine, but I don't want to get caught up in someone's drama that affects my ability to make money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People can be annoying sometimes. So I play it safe and try to stay away from people in general.
  • Options
    Dzeko2014Dzeko2014 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

I plan on being to myself I dont want people at work to know my personal life.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I generally get along with most everybody at work. My current job is the most drama-free that I've every worked at. Probably because everyone's too busy to sit around and complain.
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't say I really fit in. Where I'm at, we are all really different from each other, but I really enjoy working with them.