Options

Living in Canada

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
Is there any one on this form that has tried Moving to Canada to work as an IT professional? If you have can you share with me what the process was like?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I lived in Toronto for 9 months. I didn't really look for IT jobs at that time as I was still trying marketing. However, when job hunting, the result was the same. Since I'm just another "english speaking dude" to them, why should they hire me and not a Canadian? I was told this a few times. Did I speak French? Nope. Spanish? Nope. I believe it costs them a bunch of extra cash to hire a foreigner, so you have to have an edge for them to justify to their management the extra cost and hassle to get you a Visa.

Maybe I would have had better luck w/ IT or Cyber type jobs, but it wasnt a great experience for me.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dragonsden wrote: »
    I lived in Toronto for 9 months. I didn't really look for IT jobs at that time as I was still trying marketing. However, when job hunting, the result was the same. Since I'm just another "english speaking dude" to them, why should they hire me and not a Canadian? I was told this a few times. Did I speak French? Nope. Spanish? Nope. I believe it costs them a bunch of extra cash to hire a foreigner, so you have to have an edge for them to justify to their management the extra cost and hassle to get you a Visa.

Maybe I would have had better luck w/ IT or Cyber type jobs, but it wasn't a great experience for me.
    You seem a little bitter but in reality that's what mostly all Countries do. They hire their own citizens unless you can provide a high level skill a Canadian cannot.
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You seem a little bitter but in reality that's what mostly all Countries do. They hire their own citizens unless you can provide a high level skill a Canadian cannot.

Yes it is much like the US. The employer has to jump through hoops in order to prove they need to higher a foreign worker.

There are NAFTA Professional (TN) Visa for certain positions.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/employment/nafta.html
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Before any other consideration, I would ask you why move to Canada! The weather is awful.
  • Options
    Before any other consideration, I would ask you why move to Canada! The weather is awful.

It would open my family to much better opportunities in regards to health care and education. and most importantly the salary where I live sucks for IT and the salary range in Canada even for entry level jobs is almost double what I make now as an IT Technician. Any help would be very appreciated!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to discourage you, but the job market here is tiny and salaries are dismal compared to the States and most of the jobs are concentrated around GTA and GVA where the cost of living is astronomical and real estate is at NYC/SF level. I mean, the average detached house in Toronto is over a million bucks now and in 800K range in suburbia.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    I do not know about Canada, but I heard Canada is not what it used to be ?Are there any Canadians here that want to comment on this?I heard Australia is way better to live and work?
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    Interesting......I like the info guys keep it coming.
    :

• Options
    Right now I make about 30,000 a year and that is on the top end of what could be paid basically unless I become a manager or director in I.T. so believe me when I say that the salaries for IT are way better in Canada. I would like to know what type of process you guys went through if you have lived or tried to move to Canada.
    :

• Options
    Just googling
    In Canada " A Computer / Network Support Technician earns an average salary of C$42,181 per year. "

In US "Computer Technician 6,527 salaries reported $15.15 per hour"
    "Network Technician 3,428 salaries reported $23.95 per hour"

In Canada I would say from what I have seen around me low $20 an hour is a normal starting wage in a area with average $300K homes.
    Jobs are harder to get in the smaller cities, but that is probably the same in the US.

Toronto and Vancouver are very expensive and 2 of the biggest cities in Canada, but out side of those 2 cities house affordability is not so crazy.

Ottawa and Montreal have lots of IT jobs.
    Ottawa and Montreal average house prices are around $350K.

The exchange rate is about 35%. 1 US dollar = 1.35 Canadian dollar. Which ends up making most things more expensive in Canada.
  • Options
    dragonsden wrote: »

Maybe I would have had better luck w/ IT or Cyber type jobs, but it wasnt a great experience for me.

I believe you would find something in IT if you tried now. If you have any type of experience with the certs you have I am sure you would find something.
    :

• Options
    Toronto (6.5ish million people) average house is $770K
    Vancouver (2.5 miliion people) average house is $880K. $880K and that has gone down due to the foreign owner tax. "The government has introduced an additional 15% property transfer tax on foreign nationals, "

Ottawa 1.3 million.
    Montreal 4 million.
  • Options
    IronmanX wrote: »
    Just googling
    In Canada " A Computer / Network Support Technician earns an average salary of C$42,181 per year. "

In US "Computer Technician 6,527 salaries reported $15.15 per hour"
    "Network Technician 3,428 salaries reported $23.95 per hour"

In Canada I would say from what I have seen around me low $20 an hour is a normal starting wage in a area with average $300K homes.
    Jobs are harder to get in the smaller cities, but that is probably the same in the US.

Toronto and Vancouver are very expensive and 2 of the biggest cities in Canada, but out side of those 2 cities house affordability is not so crazy.

The exchange rate is about 35%. 1 US dollar = 1.35 Canadian dollar. Which ends up making most things more expensive in Canada.

Thanks for the Info IronmanX that is definitely better then what I am getting now. So you live in Canada is what your saying?
    :

• Options
    greg9891 wrote: »
    So you live in Canada is what your saying?

I do. I was born here so I can't help with immigration questions.
  • Options
    Also, you have to keep in mind that taxes are higher here. I live in Quebec(that explain my bad english), in a small 120K citizen town between Montreal and Quebec city. I earn between 60K to 100K$ a year(I am lucky to be a key player in a SMB IT Compagny - 60 IT people), and I pay 35-37% of tax on my income, and I don't count the 15% GST/PST on almost all purchase, city tax, and so on.

Sure we get more public service, health is "free", kid care and education are affordable. But unless your intent is to earn under 50K, you will pay it in tax for you and for all other "poor" people.

However, Canada is still a very nice country, crime rate are very low, economy is stable, and there is a social net if you need it.

Also keep in mind that all certification are paid in US $, so 1.35 change rate.
  • Options
    Here's the Toronto Real Estate Board report: http://www.trebhome.com/market_news/market_watch/2017/mw1702.pdf

So in February 2017 the average detached in 416 is $1,573,622 and in 905 is $1,106,201
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that one needs to speak French to realistically find a job in Montreal and many positions in Ottawa are government related and require one to be bilingual and possess a security clearance which is all but impossible for a newcomer.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gkca wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that one needs to speak French to realistically find a job in Montreal and many positions in Ottawa are government related and require one to be bilingual and possess a security clearance which is all but impossible for a newcomer.

It is a bonus if you speak French but depending on the company it's not a need. At my current job, we speak English 98% of the time. I even have colleagues who don't speak french at all.
  • Options

Its already been said that it depends on the company.
    I've ran into quite a few people born and raised in Montreal who do not speak french.

I worked in Ottawa with a secret security clearance and I do not speak french.

Its good to speak French though. Can't help but feel bad when you walk up to someone in the service industry in Montreal and they say "Bonjour ...something in french I don't understand.." and I reply hello and they then repeat what they said in English.
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is a bonus if you speak French but depending on the company it's not a need. At my current job, we speak English 98% of the time. I even have colleagues who don't speak french at all.
    How are openings for NOC and networking jobs in Quebec? Nova Scotia is horrible and I'll probably have to look at a different Province soon.
  • Options
    In Montreal, you can live and work without speaking french. Almost all IT guy in MTL are either english speaking or bilingual. However outside Montreal, you need french, english is the bonus thing to have, you will work in french, but have to call customer or supplier in english.

For federal governement work, being bilingual is a very big bonus specially in Ottawa, often it is the edge to keep or get the job. That what someone told me because he work in IT in a federal institution.
  • Options
    I worked in Ottawa with a secret security clearance and I do not speak french.
    You do realize that one has to be a Canadian citizen and live in Canada for at least 10 years to be eligible for a secret clearance, don't you? That's pretty much the reason most newcomers settle in Toronto and Vancouver as it's much easier to find a job here, but the cost of living is really high.
  • Options
    This is some good stuff guys! Also do you get tax breaks for being married, having children? and which area of Canada would you guys recommend me moving to or at least attempting to move. Is Alberta is nice place?
    :

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    greg9891,

No offense with Canada, why can't you relocate in the states?

Remember the taxes including the GST / PST that you have to pay out as well.

I don't know where you live but there are other cities with a lower cost of living.
    You can also apply for grants and low interest loans to help with your education.
  • Options
    Compared to USA, the only advantage to come to Canada is health care and security(low crime rate, gun law, less racial conflict)
  • Options
    You do realize that one has to be a Canadian citizen and live in Canada for at least 10 years to be eligible for a secret clearance, don't you? That's pretty much the reason most newcomers settle in Toronto and Vancouver as it's much easier to find a job here, but the cost of living is really high.

"14. Are newcomers to Canada eligible fora Security Screening and/or SecurityClearance?Newcomers to Canada are eligible for asecurity screening and/or security clearance.However, the individual must be a residentof Canada for the past 5 years, and holdvalid Permanent Resident status orCanadian Citizenship. Individuals who donot meet these criteria may be granted aclearance, although limitation on access andcertain types of information may occur."
    http://ottawa.ca/cs/groups/content/@webottawa/documents/pdf/mdaw/mtkx/~edisp/cap201212.pdf

Top Secret (Level 3) I believe is 10.
  • Options
    Most of the IT jobs require either secret or top secret clearance, not the reliability status and those clearances have very strict requirements, you can take a look here if you're interested: Personnel security clearances?What type do you need? ? Organization and personnel security screening ? Security requirements for contracting with the Government of Canada ? Canada.ca
  • Options
    bigdogz wrote: »
    greg9891,

No offense with Canada, why can't you relocate in the states?

Remember the taxes including the GST / PST that you have to pay out as well.

I don't know where you live but there are other cities with a lower cost of living.
    You can also apply for grants and low interest loans to help with your education.

Hey bigdogz I like the united states If I had to choose a location it would probably be Florida, but I have always had a dream of moving to Canada. At this point I would like to find out from Canadian IT techexams family is where in Canada would be the best place at this point.
    :

• Options
    Most of the IT jobs require either secret or top secret clearance, not the reliability status and those clearances have very strict requirements, you can take a look here if you're interested: Personnel security clearances?What type do you need? ? Organization and personnel security screening ? Security requirements for contracting with the Government of Canada ? Canada.ca

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
    :

• Options
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
    I should clarify that I was referring to the public sector jobs and some private sector positions that are doing the contract jobs for the govt.