Options

Any of you taken an MS program that waived a class for CISSP?

josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
just curious. Bout to start the MS process again, and before going to WGU again, I'm looking around at options and just curious if anyone's had a class waived with their CISSP, and if so where, and which class.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Capella will give you 5 classes credited if you have a CISSP leaving you with 7 classes to obtain a MS. They also offer a Flexipath program which is very similar to WGU's self-paced program.

It is for-profit though. Worth looking into, I'm on the fence between them and WGU mostly because of the MS certs WGU offers as part of the curriculum (CEH, CHFI).
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know the CISSP covers a lot of material, I have one, but 5 MS level classes seems like a stretch for equivalency.
  • Options
    thanks.

I'll take a look. I've already got my CEH and no real interest in the CHFI.

and agree with Daniel
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It might not be relevant to your situation, but in Australia Charles Sturt University offers a Master of Information Systems Security which has 12 subjects of equal weight and the CISSP will give you credit for 2. You can get up to 6 subjects by credit from previous studies or certifications. CEH will give you credit for another subject. It's online and can be taken by international students.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know it is tempting for these sorts of things just to get the MS knocked out... but you might be putting the cart before the horse. There may be some job opportunity that you are looking at that has a masters "requirement," but usually that can be waived if you are in progress. Other side of that may be the money aspect.

Keep in mind... CISSP requires CPEs and school courses are the most easily documented and accumulated CPEs out there where every hour of classroom time counts as a CPE... a 3 credit hour course being 3 hours of classroom time per week for ~15 weeks of time... a single course covers an entire year of CPE. If you have work paying for it, that covers the cost.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    meman222meman222 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I graduated from American Military University (AMU) in 2015 with a Bachelors in Information Systems Security. It was not a bad program but I decided to move to another school for cost reasons for my Masters. I remember them having an internal credit policy regarding several industry certifications; I received nine credits towards my BS using CompTIA Security+ and A+ CE.

International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium - Graduate

They currently offer nine SH of credit towards one of their Masters programs as long as the CISSP is current.

Good luck.
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    I know it is tempting for these sorts of things just to get the MS knocked out... but you might be putting the cart before the horse. There may be some job opportunity that you are looking at that has a masters "requirement," but usually that can be waived if you are in progress. Other side of that may be the money aspect.

Keep in mind... CISSP requires CPEs and school courses are the most easily documented and accumulated CPEs out there where every hour of classroom time counts as a CPE... a 3 credit hour course being 3 hours of classroom time per week for ~15 weeks of time... a single course covers an entire year of CPE. If you have work paying for it, that covers the cost.

You're correct to a certain extent. Work will pay a nominal amount for a masters, not nearly enough to cover what I'd like to pursue. So for my actual interests I self study and I'm looking for a way to knock a masters out as practically as possible. I work in the DOD and holding an MS covers a lot of ground for certain positions so it's a necessary evil. As far as CPE's I've got them coming out of my ears.

Thank you though
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I cant find the info right now (posting from phone), but IIRC, the online MCCIS at Boston University will waive a course for CISSP holders.
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!