Options

Lost on career choices

mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
I made this post, because lately I've been feeling like I made a career mistake.

So I've been in IT for many years. Up until 1 year ago, I was a systems administrator handling everything from virtualization, windows administration, messaging, backups, AD. I worked on a two man server team, my co-worker handled linux, sharepoint, sql. I handled everything else. 1 year ago, I decided to take a network admin role because I studied for cisco certs and always wanted to try it. It's cool, I like it but not sure I'd want to do this at another company, and I kind of miss working as a systems guy. One of the driving factors for going networking was thinking I could earn more money. I'm currently making a little more 105k (prior to switching positions). I thought about going security route, but I think that's based more on money than interest.

I'm thinking about maybe switching back to being a systems side or something similar. Not sure what to focus on, or what knew skills to get. Money wise, it would be great to get to 125-140K, just not sure that's possible on the systems side.

These are things I'm pondering, just not sure what's the best plans

1) get my VCP back. I let it expire. I would have take the What's New course ($1650) or learn NSX and get VCP-NV first, then I can get my VCP-DCV

2) Learn Linux

3) Learn AWS (and other cloud technologies, azure maybe). I'm not a developer though, seems like cloud jobs are for developers

4) Go Cisco Data Center route

Anyone have any advice? TIA

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are in extremely similar boats my friend. I'm currently doing pretty much the same duties that you were in sys admin role, and I too chased the Cisco certs (CCNA, CCNA-Sec, and CCDA) as I was very interested in the how and why of it. But, I never had the opportunity to get into a Cisco-centric role (mostly due to my area), so I let them expire about a month ago.

I decided to go down the VCP route once I finish my master's degree. I do Hyper-V day in and day out among other things, and I've found that a lack of VMware experience is what costs me most of the positions for which I apply. I've kind of siloed myself into that, but Hyper-V is still a niche compared to VMware. Since the principles between VMware and Hyper-V are pretty much the same (tomato/tuhmato, I'm generalizing, but still), I figured it was the quickest avenue for me to go down to gain some traction. I looked at Linux and AWS (and a few others), but it does feel like a no steps forward, two steps back kind of thing.

Probably unlike you, I'm looking to relocate to a larger area (most likely Dallas) for better/more opportunities to work with technologies that I don't get to work with in my area, and the money thing applies as well. I'm at 90k base, and I'm almost certain I'd take a pay cut to go anywhere else given my lack of "big city" experience. I'm not the kind of guy that chases the dollar, but I'd like to be compensated for my work ethic and ability to quickly learn and apply new things, however I think you're right about hitting a cap on the systems side (I'm sure there are exceptions to that). Eventually I'd like to move one foot out of the tech side and into the management side.

-EDIT-

As far as the VCP course, there's Stanley and CCC&TI, if you'd be paying out of pocket. Both are in the 6.x track, and I believe CCC will be doing 6.5 courses starting in August (not sure about Stanley since they don't service my state).
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't come to Dallas LOL, to many people, JK but dont
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mnashe wrote: »
    These are things I'm pondering, just not sure what's the best plans

1) get my VCP back. I let it expire. I would have take the What's New course ($1650) or learn NSX and get VCP-NV first, then I can get my VCP-DCV

2) Learn Linux

3) Learn AWS (and other cloud technologies, azure maybe). I'm not a developer though, seems like cloud jobs are for developers

4) Go Cisco Data Center route

1) VMware's 2-year recert-window is a shameless money-grab. I definitely wouldnt spend the $$$ for another "bootcamp". The vcp-nv is probably another multiple-choice exam; I'm sure the answers are already on the internet (if need be). Personally, i'm not planning on recerting my vcp either.

2) Linux is Fun :]
    I'm thinking of doing the RHCSA/E if i don cut it in networking.

3) AWS is consolidating/eating sysadmin roles (imo). You may want to consider staying ahead of the curve.

4) How so? Do you mean Work in/at a DataCenter? Be an Infrastructure guy?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you want to stay in systems, then focus on DevOps and cloud. Automation, agility and elasticity is what is going to put some of out of work, so getting a head of that curve will be necessary to keep your job. If you want to stay in technical roles and earn more, then look at engineering, design and architecting. If you want to move away from the technical, then team lead and project management are stepping stones to management.

But I would say that the down side of systems is that it changes a lot, there's always new versions and new technologies and new Next Big Thing™. This is particularly true of technical roles. It seems like you are always running to keep in the same spot. Networking tends to be a bit more stable. I think that's why CCIE can exist where there isn't really an equivalent in systems - you can focus on learning the tech, rather than the new features in each release or the new tool.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. There's a few things I didn't mention. I do not have a college degree, so that's why I'm focused more on technical side of things. My long goal would be get into a great company, put in the work and move up the ladder that way. I also don't like to travel so that really limits the networking jobs that I can apply to (that pay more or equal to what I'm making)

After thinking more, I think my focus should be one of two places

Network security - continue studying this route, maybe that means completing the CISSP, I don't know

Cloud (AWS) - go this route and explore. In my area it's huge but is this a good long term (5-10 years) idea.? Maybe mix in some cloud security afterwards.

I enjoy learning so I don't mind staying up to date with technology.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies everyone. There's a few things I didn't mention. I do not have a college degree, so that's why I'm focused more on technical side of things. My long goal would be get into a great company, put in the work and move up the ladder that way. I also don't like to travel so that really limits the networking jobs that I can apply to (that pay more or equal to what I'm making)

After thinking more, I think my focus should be one of two places

Network security - continue studying this route, maybe that means completing the CISSP, I don't know

Cloud (AWS) - go this route and explore. In my area it's huge but is this a good long term (5-10 years) idea.? Maybe mix in some cloud security afterwards.

I enjoy learning so I don't mind staying up to date with technology.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
    tmtex wrote: »
    Don't come to Dallas LOL, to many people, JK but dont

I like it there...it's my kind of concrete jungle. My girlfriend and I like to make up excuses to spend a weekend in the DFW area every couple of months. I promise to stay out of the way when I show up. :)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I would recommend that you jump on the AWS/cloud train. OctalDump is right on, that AWS/cloud/automation will put a lot of people out of work, especially those sys admin/engineers that don't get on board ahead of time. Unlike the networking guys worrying about SDN, I do think that cloud/serverless/automation will be the next extinction level event in IT (like the old mainframes). Also, the money seems damn good in the cloud arena and you could definitely hit your salary goals in it. I browse LinkedIn daily and I'm seeing a ton of people from all IT disciplines jump on board the AWS cert train, probably because they realize it's not stopping anytime soon and only gaining more momentum so it's good to have at a minimum some base level knowledge, myself included.

I also highly recommend learning Linux as more and more jobs are adding it as a requirement from what I'm seeing. Also network security is a good area to get into as well. I'm curious, is it something that you don't like about networking or is it just that you really like systems stuff more?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    Best of luck in your endeavors.

Thanks! I agree with you on the VMware 2 year stuff. I think the only reason why I'd consider the VCP-NV is because NSX looks like cool technology.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread OP, but just wondering what JoJoCal19 and others recommending AWS would recommend for:

1. Order of AWS Certs to take
    2. Prep for AWS Certs
    3. Any prereq certs/knowledge to focus on before AWS?

Again, apologies, not trying to hijack thread, but I think the OP (and myself) would possibly like more info potentially :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I would recommend that you jump on the AWS/cloud train. OctalDump is right on, that AWS/cloud/automation will put a lot of people out of work, especially those sys admin/engineers that don't get on board ahead of time. Unlike the networking guys worrying about SDN, I do think that cloud/serverless/automation will be the next extinction level event in IT (like the old mainframes). Also, the money seems damn good in the cloud arena and you could definitely hit your salary goals in it. I browse LinkedIn daily and I'm seeing a ton of people from all IT disciplines jump on board the AWS cert train, probably because they realize it's not stopping anytime soon and only gaining more momentum so it's good to have at a minimum some base level knowledge, myself included.

I also highly recommend learning Linux as more and more jobs are adding it as a requirement from what I'm seeing. Also network security is a good area to get into as well. I'm curious, is it something that you don't like about networking or is it just that you really like systems stuff more?

I do agree, cloud seems good way to go. I think if I went the cloud, I'd try to do AWS and Linux at the same time. Maybe get a subscription to linux academy? I hear they are good.

I really enjoy networking, I'd like to dive more info network security, or SDN/automation, but whats really stopping me is that I don't like to travel. I hate airplanes, so the more I study networking, I feel like I'm wasting time in a sense.

If there was a way to blend both cloud (aws) and networking to keep both skills, I'd probably like to do that.
  • Options
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread OP, but just wondering what JoJoCal19 and others recommending AWS would recommend for:

2. Prep for AWS Certs

Again, apologies, not trying to hijack thread, but I think the OP (and myself) would possibly like more info potentially :)

no worries, the more info the better :)
  • Options

2. Prep for AWS Certs

1. It's recommended to take the Solutions Architect Associate > Developer Associate > SysOps Administrator Associate.
    2. acloud.guru and Linux Academy are the two best sources (as well as all of the AWS white papers)
    3. Nope but some familiarity with Linux will be helpful but you can learn as you go

I do agree, cloud seems good way to go. I think if I went the cloud, I'd try to do AWS and Linux at the same time. Maybe get a subscription to linux academy? I hear they are good.

I really enjoy networking, I'd like to dive more info network security, or SDN/automation, but whats really stopping me is that I don't like to travel. I hate airplanes, so the more I study networking, I feel like I'm wasting time in a sense.

If there was a way to blend both cloud (aws) and networking to keep both skills, I'd probably like to do that.

Travel isn't the norm (especially non-local) so I wouldn't base what you pursue off of that. There's tons of positions that are remote as well. Linux Academy is an excellent site.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for the info!

What do you guys think about Docker, Puppet, and Jenkins, especially in relation to AWS?
    It seems more like this thread is going towards recommending DevOps as opposed to, say, a cloud engineer or cloud security engineer, yes?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    When you move into Docker, Puppet, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, etc, you are getting into automation and DevOps which is more on the rapid development and deployment of systems.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Travel isn't the norm (especially non-local) so I wouldn't base what you pursue off of that. There's tons of positions that are remote as well. Linux Academy is an excellent site.

Seems like its the norm, a lot job descriptions talk about travel, and the ones that don't mention it specifically talk about supporting remote sites. if the equipment goes down there, someone needs to get there, I'd think.
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »
    Seems like its the norm, a lot job descriptions talk about travel, and the ones that don't mention it specifically talk about supporting remote sites. if the equipment goes down there, someone needs to get there, I'd think.

This is exactly what holds me back and makes me unsure
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »

I guess I just haven't seen near as many jobs requiring travel (networking, security, cloud) as ones that don't require travel. And aside from positions at consulting firms, travel is usually regional where you could drive.
  • Options
    This is exactly what holds me back and makes me unsure

Not sure where you're located, but hop on Indeed, do targeted keyword searches, and then look at descriptions. You'll find MORE than enough that don't require travel, especially outside of driving range.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I just haven't seen near as many jobs requiring travel (networking, security, cloud) as ones that don't require travel. And aside from positions at consulting firms, travel is usually regional where you could drive.

I'd rather you be right, because I feel the same way as the OP. I don't have to travel for my job, mainly because I've been here over 10 years and they know I hate it. When I look up jobs in NJ/NYC, travel is big, because there are a lot of global companies in the area. Even security jobs I see, seem to require a lot of travel. It actually annoys me :)

OP - where are you from?
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unless you really want to get into VMWare - getting your VCP might be worthless. Going the AWS/Cloud route is always a good choice. Linux will def help you out especially with your sysadmin background. Because you are up there salary wise, you might want to think about going the security route. Getting into something like say pen testing or red/blue team related stuff could certainly be an option. SANS courses are always a good bet too, and maybe you can get your employer to pay for some. Why not go for CISSP?

I think the bottom line is what do you really want to get into. Do you really want to dive further into Cisco? Think about it like this, if you know how to setup a system, and you know how to protect it (outside of A/V and firewalls), then go the security route. If you all about the money, then you are in it for the wrong reasons. Find something you enjoy and the money will eventually follow.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. It's recommended to take the Solutions Architect Associate > Developer Associate > SysOps Administrator Associate.
    2. acloud.guru and Linux Academy are the two best sources (as well as all of the AWS white papers)
    3. Nope but some familiarity with Linux will be helpful but you can learn as you go

JoJoCal19
    This was a great post, thank you for your insight. I think likely incorporate this schedule somewhere in my already cramped 2018!!!!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    I'm not trying to make a decision that's driven on money. My apologies if anything I said came off that way. Money is a factor for the simple reason of providing for my family and also part of my career goals

Also for the person who asked, I live in New York (Not NYC, upstate)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    JoJoCal19
    This was a great post, thank you for your insight. I think likely incorporate this schedule somewhere in my already cramped 2018!!!!

I might consider this as well down the road.. icon_lol.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    If I went the cloud(aws) route and then decided to go into security, would that make that switch easier. For instance, learn cloud, cloud security, and then ease into other types of security?
  • Options
    I've found it really easy to move around within security once I got my first pure security role. I think most people would agree it's easier to to move around in security, than to break into security. I've had IAM, risk management, IT security engineering, cybersecurity problem/project management, and GRC/audit roles.

You could definitely break into security by going into cloud engineering and then either adding cloud security duties to your role or obtaining a cloud engineering role with security duties, or moving from cloud engineering to cloud security. For example if you are working in a cloud role, knocking out your CCSK and CISSP would go a long way to that. Also Amazon has a new AWS Certified Security Specialty certification now.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    move to architecture and/or presales if you want money
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Specifically if you are interested in the Cloud/Virtualisation arena, then to be well rounded (and very good), able to work across public and private clouds, and able automate to work at scale, then from what I've read:

Cloud/Virtualisation infrastructure stuff:
    AWS Pro/Engineer level (AWS competency)
    MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Azure, mainly)
    VCP-DCV/74-409 (Virtualisation on VMware or Hyper-V)
    CCSK/CCSP/CISSP (basic Info Sec, and good Cloud Sec knowledge)
    Docker/Kubernetes or other containerisation

Infrastructure fundamentals:
    Networking fundamentals (eg CCNA)
    Linux fundamentals
    Windows Server fundamentals
    Expertise in Linux or Windows Server (eg RHCE or MCSE)

And the tricky DevOps stuff
    :
    Python/PowerShell or some other scripting - and half decent programming skills.
    Ansible/Puppet/Chef
    Git
    Vagrant/AutoLab
    Razor
    ELK
    Jenkins
    System Center

So if you have an infrastructure background, you are probably covered for the fundamentals and have some virtualisation experience, cloud exposure and have some scripting ability, then it's really about going deeper into DevOps tools and cloud (ie Azure/AWS), and getting cloud specific security knowledge.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM