Now to get a VPN Solution due to Congress Vote?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
The big buzz of the political / IT news being now being that most ISPs will be able to do what they wish with your browsing data because of the overturn to vote away the previous FCC ruling to protect our online data proposed by the Obama administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/28/the-house-just-voted-to-wipe-out-the-fccs-landmark-internet-privacy-protections/?utm_term=.e4105b3de227

So, with that said... what is everybody considering doing? The popular solution being a VPN application which are widely available by the many out there. This is just a feeler to discuss opinions of the matter and if people are going to VPN solutions and what they are using already / will be using?

I see this one advertising already on a tech site I frequent for daily news:

https://www.extremetech.com/deals/246779-et-deals-save-96-lifetime-subscription-tigervpn
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I have thought about it and now I just need to go about implementing it. I'm going to go this route:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/how-to-make-your-own-free-vpn-using-amazon-web-services/
  • PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm looking at using NordVPN. Here's an interesting site: Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017?

As well, I was picking up acloud.guru courses on Udemy yesterday and spotted this: The Complete Cyber Security Course: Volume 3 : Anonymous Browsing, Hide my IP, Internet Privacy, Hacker OPSEC, Tor, Proxy Servers and Best VPNs, so I snagged it for $10 as well. I'm too lazy to go searching around the internets for all the info so $10 isn't bad to get it all in once place.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely going to be staying away from any sites where I have to enter my email and a password in that don't use https icon_eek.gif
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Heh, even TechExams is not secured.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I'm looking at using NordVPN. Here's an interesting site: Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017?

As well, I was picking up acloud.guru courses on Udemy yesterday and spotted this: The Complete Cyber Security Course: Volume 3 : Anonymous Browsing, Hide my IP, Internet Privacy, Hacker OPSEC, Tor, Proxy Servers and Best VPNs, so I snagged it for $10 as well. I'm too lazy to go searching around the internets for all the info so $10 isn't bad to get it all in once place.

I had a good experience with NordVPN and I will be starting my subscription again soon.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Use Opera browser, go to settings & enable VPN. Kinda sluggish though.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

Thanks! That is an AMAZING resource icon_thumright.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Thanks! That is an AMAZING resource icon_thumright.gif

I'm glad to help!
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

The last time someone said that in a thread it got deleted.....*cough* yesterday *cough*
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Because 95% of people haven't already agreed to let their ISP's sell their browsing habits when they sign up by agreeing to the EULA, privacy policy, etc. The latest move just means they don't have to inform you of what they have already been doing forever. It is good to see people finally pay attention though.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now the president signed it into law. Bye bye illusion of privacy. Hello endless tailored ads that ruin any sense of privacy if you're targeted in the presence or company of other people. This is a round-about way of curtailing online behavior by enforcing superficial societal norms. Give it 5 years, people will know all about you by the ads that target you on your radio, your tv, your phone, your browser, stores you walk into... Hello Minority Report.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□

You could've fooled me. I can't even access my own profile or start a thread without it having to go through moderation.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VPNs aren't that expensive. But it's only worth it if you have a higher level of trust for them over your ISP. Majority of VPNs are pretty sketchy, so pick a good one.
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should I trust TigerVPN, it was on a StackSocial deal...?
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
    Here's a good comparison chart if you're hunting for a VPN: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

I like PIA and F-Secure personally but there are some other good ones.
  • bornwithbornwith Member Posts: 21 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not going to do anything different. Six months ago my ISP could sell my browsing history and they can again today. They aren't selling individual browsing histories. I can't go to Verizon and buy Paul Ryan or Elizabeth warren's browsing history. Mostly because I don't think either one knows how to turn a computer on never mind browse to the internet. This problem isn't a liberal or conservative problem. Our elected officials are of an age where it's cool not to know anything about computers and they are proud of it.

Techology is changing faster than our society can absorb and having elected officials who have no knowledge or interest in technology isn't going to cut it. We need the Department of Education to get on board with the fact that in twenty every job will involve technology. We can no longer sit idlely and let the tech guy fix it. We need to do it now. Tomorrow will be to late.

End rant
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bornwith wrote: »
    I am not going to do anything different. Six months ago my ISP could sell my browsing history and they can again today.

Are you sure? Because they can't legally do that without your consent and majority of them have privacy policies where they state that they don't sell your data and don't collect content. Check your terms of service with your provider. Have you ever read your contract?

I've read mine (AT&T) and here's an exempt:

We don’t sell your Personal Information to anyone for any purpose. Period.
    We keep your Personal Information in our business records while you are a customer, or until it is no longer needed for business, tax or legal purposes.
    We will keep your information safe using encryption or other appropriate security controls.

And more in details here:

Full Privacy Policy | Privacy Policy | AT&T

This privacy hype concerns me. I'm all for privacy, but suddenly everyone cares about this act, probably because all the media is picking on Trump which makes this thing political.

I suggest we keep calm and research the topic responsibly instead of just pouring it on following someone's agenda.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    There was no privacy a long time ago. Its not a secret that NSA and CIA were watching. They just made it LEGAL now for ISP to sell your history. Although, ISP have been selling it for a long time behind everyones back.

Ive been using PIA VPN. Although, I know I can never hide what I look into the web.
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought a RT-N66U router for $50 on ebay, installed Merlin Firmware, and have PrivateInternetAccess.com configured as an OpenVPN client so now my whole house is always tunneled.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use PIA (Private Internet Access) and like it well enough. It isn't expensive and performs as well as it needs to.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Surprised no one mentioned Tails or Qubes OS
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought a RT-N66U router for $50 on ebay, installed Merlin Firmware, and have PrivateInternetAccess.com configured as an OpenVPN client so now my whole house is always tunneled.

Thanks, I'll look into that - I like the idea of tunneling from my edge router/firewall instead of worrying about additional overhead from software installed on every single device I use to reach the internet.

I can appreciate what the Privacytools site said about VPN services in the US - they are subject to US courts, etc. But that raises the question of trust - do you really want to trust that guy in some foreign country with your web browsing data? There are varying levels of shadiness, to be sure...
    Pretty good resource there.

One thing to note on that is that it's pretty much 100% privacy focused and not necessarily focused on security.