Options

MCSA2003 --> MCSA2012 - Getting back on track

LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got my MCSA2003 a few years back. It seems that within the last year it has or it is going to be expired. Because of this, I need to upgrade it to MCSA2012. I gave MS a call and it seems the upgrade path is just doing the same 70-410/411/412 everyone else would need for the MCSA2012.

I've already paid a visit to the bookstore (if that gives you an idea of how much I love online shopping) and picked up the MS 70-410 Training/Exam Ref green books. Its hard to ignore the lack of certification books there are nowadays, vs lets say, when I was shopping for my MCSE2003 books/videos. Basically there was Sybex, and Microsoft literature. I see some changes took place for TrainSignal & CBTnuggets as well.

As Ive already got some 410 material, Im looking for other study material to add. I'm specifically seeking advice on study material that has the option for physical media (remember when this was the standard?!) I can purchase (not online subscriptions). I realize this is becoming more and more difficult, but just wanted to ask. I'm currently signing up for this Pluralsight website now for a free trial. I know there are guides for study material out there, but MCSA2012 isnt exactly the latest MS certification everyone is working on, but its what my customers have just upgraded to and are using. Any updated study material advice here would also be appreciated (I've looked at older threads on this topic) from those that have just completed the MCSA2012 track.

Thank you
CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
Microsoft: MCSA 2003

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, there's no upgrade path, you have to get it as new.

A few years ago there was an upgrade path 2003->2008 (3-in-1 exam)->2012 (3-in-1 exam), but 2008 upgrade exams are retired now.

I had Mackin book in pdf which I was reading on my Surface while commuting in public transport. Decent book. Check if there's a printed copy you can buy.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm still working on the 70-410 track.

Stuff you can get with no subscription:

Network minds:
    70-410 Exam - Networkedminds

Udemy - Company:infinite Skills Course name 70-410
    Going for $50.00 for a single course, but Udemy often has sales.

IT Free Training:

https://www.youtube.com/user/itfreetraining/playlists

Both IT Free Training and Network Minds only cover the 70-410 exam.

Udemy would be your best bet if you're trying to save money, because there is no subscription, you only pay 1 price for each course.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a upgrade path the 70-417 exam.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-417.aspx

[h=2]Who should take this exam?
    [/h]

This exam is intended for IT professionals who want to validate the skills and knowledge necessary to implement the Windows Server 2012 core infrastructure services. Candidates have already earned a qualifying Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2000, or Windows XP certification:

Hide all
    Windows Server 2008 certifications
    • MCSA: Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
    • MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
    Windows Server 2003 certifications (and earlier versions)
    • MCDST: Windows XP
    • MCSE: Windows 2000
    • MCSA Windows 2000
    • MCSA: Security on Windows 2000
    • MCSA: Security on Windows 2003
    • MCSA: Windows Server 2003
    • MCSE: Security on Windows 2000
    • MCSE: Security on Windows 2003
    • MCSE: Windows Server 2003
    • MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
    • MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
    • MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
    • MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, I'll have to check those out. Thank you.
    I'm still working on the 70-410 track.

Stuff you can get with no subscription:

Network minds:
    70-410 Exam - Networkedminds

Udemy - Company:infinite Skills Course name 70-410
    Going for $50.00 for a single course, but Udemy often has sales.

IT Free Training:

https://www.youtube.com/user/itfreetraining/playlists

Both IT Free Training and Network Minds only cover the 70-410 exam.

Udemy would be your best bet if you're trying to save money, because there is no subscription, you only pay 1 price for each course.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just as a quick note: the upgrade exam covers content from all three MCSA 2012 exams (410, 411, 412). You also have to pass each section with a 70% to pass even if your overall score would be a pass. It is advisable to study this as you would study for the individual tests just combining it all into one run.

As far as free resources, don't forget about the MVA videos on Microsoft's website. A lot of the content in those is generated from the same guys who write the tests so you may see the little pieces of info needed to get around one of the weirder areas.

Good luck!
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT