Options

Passed CISSP 4/3/17- First Attempt

Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed with about 2 hours to spare. It was about as difficult as I figured it would be. I only scored 60% on the 2 Sybex Practice Tests so I was worried how well I was going to do.

Study Materials:
11th Hour
Cybrary MP3s
Sybex Practice Tests

Special thanks to the WhatsApp group, kept me on track.

Now to find a new job!
Title: Sr. Systems Designer
Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP

Comments

• Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I see you haven't used that much material as other people did and you still managed to pass. What's you background like?
  • Options
    I've been a Systems Designer (though 80-90% of what I do is just drafting in AutoCAD) at a small engineering firm for 4 years which has involved network and wireless design/engineering, cyber security and physical security assessments, wireless and network troubleshooting. I've dealt with just about everything a little at a higher level. I'd say access control (non-physical), and auditing were my weakest points, and knowing NIST, ISO, etc which ones they were. I'd like to get into a more technical role with cyber/information security in an IT setting instead of engineering. Also, a lot of this I feel was covered in my CS degree which emphasized Information Assurance, I graduated in 2011 from a B&M college.
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Blade3D wrote: »
    Passed with about 2 hours to spare. It was about as difficult as I figured it would be. I only scored 60% on the 2 Sybex Practice Tests so I was worried how well I was going to do.

Study Materials:
    11th Hour
    Cybrary MP3s
    Sybex Practice Tests

Special thanks to the WhatsApp group, kept me on track.

Now to find a new job!

Congrats. Excellent effort. Did you use the Sybex book, or just the 11th hour. I failed last week and used eveything you did apart from the 11th hour. I was scoring in the 80's. I have a solid background in IT and Security as well.
  • Options
    I have the sybex book, I might have read the first chapter or two, don't remember. I do consider myself a good test taker.
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
  • Options
    dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow great job!!

Cybrary huh? Noted.

NOC-Ninja you have enough certs don't be greedy. J/k and grats to you too on your recent WGU achievement.
  • Options
    I have the sybex book, I might have read the first chapter or two, don't remember. I do consider myself a good test taker.

Do you have any tips or techniques? I'm an okay test taker, but many of my exams I do not always pass first time. Some of my Cisco certs took a few attempts as well. I have been studying since October re-read chapters of the sybex made flash cards and stuck them everywhere round my house, taken transcender, mcgrawhill and Sybex and got in the 80's. Listen to CBT nuggets and Cybrary over and over again. Done my own research on topics I don't understand. I did everything, but scored 695. Taking again at the beginning of May.
  • Options
    dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a pretty shiny CCNP-Sec you got there for being an "okay test taker".
  • Options
    That's a pretty shiny CCNP-Sec you got there for being an "okay test taker".

Yes, but as mentioned I had to take some of the exams twice. Whereas I have being reading a few posts on here and it would seem that some people appear to have done less study and test practice results have been low, but still smashed the exam. So I don't really attribute myself as being a good test taker.
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    fchaabnafchaabna Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Blade,

Congrats on passing.
    Can you please share the PDF version of Sybex Practice Test.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well done mate .. there people on here who have failed at the 4th attempt !

whats this WhatsApp group you speak of ?
  • Options
    Contact Umaraj on here, that's who added me
  • Options
    OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Contact Umaraj on here, that's who added me

cheers mate !
  • Options
    xcopyxcopy Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done!
    C|EH, CASP, C|DNA, ITIL, VCP6, MCITP:EA + others
  • Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RanjnasRanjnas Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Is there a What's App Group for CISSP?
  • Options
    CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Just passed this beast myself and like you, didn't really score well on the practice tests.
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Hoping to take the exam myself sometime next month.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Just submitted my endorsement, today makes 4 years, guess it's time to wait the 4-6 weeks. I got a trip to Cancun for Memorial Day weekend, hoping I get it that week after.
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of my friend got it in less than 4 weeks so you should be getting your soon as well.
  • Options
    Actually got the email yesterday saying my endorsement documentation has been received, so it would be awesome if it was less then 4 weeks. I could get started looking for a new job sooner.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. I got mine in December and haven't even had an interview since then. And my resume hasn't changed other than adding the CISSP. I use to get calls for interview requests at least once a month before I added CISSP to my resume. Absolutely nothing since then.
  • Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you looked into DOD?
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dehgrah wrote: »
    Have you looked into DOD?
    I'm near Pittsburgh so I don't think there are many federal jobs around here.