Options

CPE from Cybrary

SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hi, I want to record my CPE from listening to some Cybrary course. Usually it is 1 CPE by hour, but many course have greater CPE than that ? By example, the CISSP course from Kelly Handerhan proposed 15 CPE while the course is 13h. Many other are like that? Would you submit the proposed CPE or I should stand by the 1 CPE by hour as per ISC2. Anyone have experience on that?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1 cpe for every hour.
  • Options
    Thanks, that confirm what I thought. In case of an audit, I can only be the loser if I submitted more (even if they are telling otherwise).
  • Options
    dayglodayglo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perhaps I am wrong, but I would assume that it would depend on which course.

I can understand if you have a SCCP that watching a Cybrary CISSP course would earn CPE's... But if you have a CISSP, what class would be "valid" for CPE's?
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have got CPE's for CISSP for the Nessus micro cert and the CCSP course from cybrary. ISC(2) accepted both of those.
  • Options
    ddaygloddayglo Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I have got CPE's for CISSP for the Nessus micro cert and the CCSP course from cybrary. ISC(2) accepted both of those.

Thanks! Did you need a cybrary certificate of completion as proof?
  • Options
    I have no experience(first year as SSCP), but from what I read, if it is pertinent to security and can be mapped to a CISSP domain, it could be added as group A CPE. If you do a Python class, it would count as a Group B CPE (non-security related).

I have read the CPE guideline thorougly, and that's what is said about required proof:

Proof of CPE credits earned may be in the form of course transcripts, awarded diplomas, certificates or receipts of attendance, research/prep notes for speaking or teaching, copies of official meeting minutes, or rosters or documentation of registration materials. For online courses that do not provide any of the above, a screenshot is sufficient.
    For book and/or magazine CPE credits, members should retain “proof of possession” such as the book or magazine itself, a sales receipt, invoice, or library record. At a minimum, the proof should include the title and, if
    a book, the author and ISBN number; or, if a magazine, the publisher. Acceptance of a book review by (ISC)² will also constitute sufficient proof, even in the absence of other proof.

I think you only need to be smart and exercise your good judgement and everything will be fine.
  • Options
    ddayglo wrote: »
    Thanks! Did you need a cybrary certificate of completion as proof?
    I did not need any certificates but do have them in case I need them. I submitted the Nessus under Security Assessment and Testing and the CCSP under Multiple Domains (Group A). I also did Cyber Risk Management for Technicians from FedVTE under Security and Risk Management. No issues with any of them
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Folks, can anyone suggest cpe for me? new to this and not sure what specific courses reading I can do for them?
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »
    Folks, can anyone suggest cpe for me? new to this and not sure what specific courses reading I can do for them?

https://www.brighttalk.com/community/it-security#upcoming

You get CPE's for everything ISC2 from the above site. I've used it and still do.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 CPE per webinar?
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »
    1 CPE per webinar?

If the webinar is 50-60 minutes then yes, you get 1 cpe.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I submitted for CPEs (SSCP) on the the Advanced Penetration Testing course on Cybrary and they approved it ...
  • Options
    Cool. I submitted CCSP training from cybrary and they accepted it
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious, since it's 1 hour = 1 CPE, can you accumulate the time for multiple video sessions in the same series?

For example, a security course with 10-20 videos, some of them are less than one hour, but the total time for the course is let's say 15 hours. Can this count for 15 CPEs?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Just curious, since it's 1 hour = 1 CPE, can you accumulate the time for multiple video sessions in the same series?

For example, a security course with 10-20 videos, some of them are less than one hour, but the total time for the course is let's say 15 hours. Can this count for 15 CPEs?

I dont think you can do that. Usually they will accept a course or webinar that is about 50minutes as 1 hour =1 CPE. But they will not accept 30 minutes from 1 course and 30 minutes from another course as 1 hour cpe.
  • Options
    I have submitted mine as accumulative. I had one that was 6 videos totaling 14.6 hours. I entered 14 hours for the whole course and was approved. FWIW-the course was CSA+ on Skillsofts site.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Noted, thanks TheFORCE and dhay13!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question about cybrary studying. I passed the CISSP on Jan 2017, but recently went through CISSP on cybrary for refresh. Would that be eligible for CPEs for CISSP?

May not be thinking too clearly when posting this since working 2am-11am is tiring on my behalf haha
  • Options
    logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for OT however how does one calculate CPE for tech certs like CCNA, CCSA, Proxy,SIEM etc etc?
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the CISSP course from Kelly Handerhan proposed 15 CPE while the course is 13h.
    If there are supplemental study materials, and you actually took time to study them, then you could justify the full 15 hours. Otherwise, it's 1 CPE per hour so you would be eligible for the amount CPE's based on the of time you spent on the course.
  • Options
    Thanks! Now it won't matter much... I have twice the CPE required for this year and I took them in less than 3 month.

It's not that hard to get them.