Options

Etiquette on terminating a contract position early

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm 18 and recently just secured a 3 month contract service desk analyst position. The contract is originally a 3 month period, however it is usually extended. It's a great job, I'm gaining some great experience. But, of course I would like to find a permanent job. Preferably, before my contract ends, as I don't want to rely on them extending it when they could turn around and say we don't need you anymore.

My question is, if you found a permanent job that paid more, better benefits etc.. That you thought was a great opportunity. Would you end the contract position early to start this permanent job? What is the etiquette on this? The place where I'm contracted to, understand that most people come here for money and experience while they find permanent positions. Also, how would I find the time for interviews, as I work 8 hours, 5 days a week. I would probably have to take a whole day off when I have an interview that day?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Etiquette is two weeks notice. These days by email is acceptable, though I prefer printing it out myself. You're not on the hook for three months. If you were, it would involve forfeiting getting bonus pay or having to pay back tuition reimbursement. Since that's not the case, don't worry about being impolite.

Finding interview time can be tricky. Having a Dr. appointment right around lunch time is one way to be discrete and buy you an extra hour or two without having to take an entire day off. Also can trying having an afternoon "appointment" and work an hour earlier if possible so you minimize the hours lost.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a standard two weeks' notice is perfectly acceptable, especially since they already understand it's just a transitional job. And if the prospective employer isn't happy that you need to give two weeks' notice to your currenyt employer before you can start, then they aren't the type of company for whom you want to work.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you got a FT job I would bail out of the contract job, however yea give the 2 weeks