Options

Finding a REAL full-time position

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been doing help desk for a year now, and have been on two contact gigs with slave traders, er "temp agencies." I'm sick of having most of my pay taken by the parasites, and would like a full-time job with the company where I am doing the work.

Any suggestions on how to leave contractor land? Seems like most IT jobs in my area are operated by the "temp agency" parasites so the companies can get around basic labor laws. How do I find out who actually hires and apply there?

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Look on job sites like Indeed and apply directly to positions you're interested in.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used Careerbuilder & Indeed...update your resume monthly on those sites, even if its a slight change. It seems when you delete an old resume & replace it with a new one, I got more calls/emails about new jobs...Go visit all of your local headhunter offices (the ones owned by small business owners, not big corporate entities). But you can try a few of the corp giants, like Robert Half Technology...I had good luck with them. There are several more out there for sure, keep looking.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    Robert Half? Do they recruit for actual positions, or are they just human traffickers like the other temp agencies? Trying to get OUT of contractor land, not INTO contractor land.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was brought on as an actual employee after 6mos of being a contractor thru RHT. I guess it really depends if the company is doing well enough to bring on fulltimers OR sometimes they just do contracting only & then they hook you up with another gig after that one is over with.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a job at Boston University a few months back. After been 1 year of Desktop Support and 2 Years of Network Analyst for the same company (it was my first job in IT).

I got many interviews by just applying to everything that matched, lets say, about 50% of my resume. Pretty much If I knew at least 50% of what they were looking for I would apply for it (within Networking). Then I started to get calls and calls. So I got sick of Recruiter's calls. I started to consider them but after a week or so actual companies were calling too so I dumped all recruiters. My goal was to apply to about 10 positions a day until I was set for at least 2 personal interviews, then stop applying and see.

I kept a spreadsheet of companies that I applied which included date, company name, login info, and some other stuff. By doing that I could refer back to it when someone called.

Within a month I had 3 interviews but I didn't get any of the positions. I stopped applying for 2 months and Boston University called. I interviewed with them and I got the job.

Just apply apply and apply. Google about how to perform in a interview, practice interview questions / answers, be polite, be direct, only answer what they ask and nothing more or less (if they want to know more, they will ask). Be on time, don't use perfume but make sure you use deodorant. If they offer water, accept it.

It worked for me
  • Options
    Kinda busy with work/school, so I figured on one or two applications per day. Any idea how to target to direct hire? I want to use my applications well, and not waste time with temp agency parasites.
  • Options
    masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what I used the most was dice.com. When you do a search check only full time positions only (I believe you have to register for free for it). When you register, you can 1-click apply to jobs. It takes 1 click on many of the positions listed.

When I was applying for positions, usually took me anywhere from 1 click to 20 minutes at most. Again, the more positions you apply the better change you have.

Make sure your Resume looks good and up to date too. There is a topic about resumes in this forum. They help you alot