Options

Trainee Cyber Security Oficer

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm 18 and currently work on service desk for large organization contracted by a recruitment agency. However, I would like to find permanent employment before my contract is up. I have just found a trainee Cyber security officer position at a large financial commission in my local area. I'll post the job description, does this sound like a good opportunity? I've always wanted to pursue a career in security, preferably network security and I feel like this is a great stepping stone to achieve that. What do you guys think?

Work with the Senior Manager, Cyber Security, to implement Cyber Security solutions aligned with theCommission’s strategy.
  • Proactively support the Senior Manager, Cyber Security in identifying Cyber Security risks, assisting withclassifying and rating these, and advising on mitigation strategies
  • Where necessary, work with the Commission’s service providers to diagnosing and resolving problemsin a manner that minimises disruption to the Commission.
  • Gaining and maintaining an up to date awareness of the Cyber Security industry, focussing on improvedsecurity processes and the latest threats\attacks.
  • Produces timely analysis of security events and incidents as and when requested.
  • Initiate continuous improvement ideas and suggestions to increase efficiencies and productivity of The Cyber Security function
  • Organises time effectively and adheres to deadlines as agreed with line management.
  • Assists in the compliance of the department with BCP and data protection. Ensures conformance to theCommission’s information security policy and acts as Security Administrator in the absence of theSenior Manager, Cyber Security
  • Documents and constantly reviews relevant aspects of security procedures to ensure that they arealways fit for purpose.
  • Undertakes research on future Cyber Security developments and reports findings, as directed by linemanagement.
  • Executes additional tasks in order to meet Commission projects or development and change objectives.

Comments

• Options
    Also I forgot to add, this trainee position is also part of a development programme, where basically they want you to study towards industry certifications, two I already have I might add.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does that job ad also happen to have a requirements section? Not to be pessimistic, but looking at the tasks I would assume they would want some one with a few years of experience.

But either way, if it looks like something you have an interest in you should apply. Never know what can happen if you don't!
  • Options
    Nope, no requirement section, it looks like it's an entry level position. They have a number of progression Blocks of this development program and the first blocks objective is "Learn the fundamentals of Cyber security".
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like an administrative job to me, all paperwork, but you have to start somewhere. You be surprised at the amount of paperwork a company has to do to prove they are in compliance with cyber security rules / policies a government agency requires. Where I work it's the NRC, but I'm sure a bank has someone they have to answer to.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.