Options

Do you have a video resume, yet?

shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
So, do any of you have a video resume out there yet?

I've been wanting to do one, but have been pondering it. I would think the best way to get recognized quickly is to create one & see what happens...I would think it would stand out over the typical resume, right?? I suppose a typical YouTube video resume would work & put a link at the top of the resume by your contact info. Another thing to think about is what to talk about without sounding like an ID10T. If you have done one already, post some links...I would like to see them and possibly get some ideas on what content to talk about.

Cheers & HI5!
CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is this a thing now? I've honestly never heard of a single person doing a video resume before.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never heard of it. If it's for a video position, show them your YouTube channel or whatever as a 'portfolio'. If it's for any other position - why?

I wouldn't do one. Maybe I'm old fashioned and like the resume and face to face interview (or Skype, still - personal and not pre-recorded). I am going to age out of this career, aren't I? Time to look for that old history teacher job. I'm going to become a relic of the old IT days.

Is this the next job seeking trend?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Thank you for that lol hahahahaha, I imagine someone come dancing into the interview room with a band playing behind them, top hat and cane with a resume tucked in the red striped hat hahahaaaaaaa.

No recruiter, whether for contracts or companies, will want to take the time when sorting through possibly hundreds of resumes, to watch a presentation on yourself. That could get so many kinds of funny if they did though, oh the rick rolling would make an epic come back :D
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Video resume? I file that under "H", in the "HELL NO!" category.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is actually kind of interesting. The only problem being there isn't much you really need explain for a resume. Generally HR is looking to hit a few dot points to determine if you're suitable and then get you in for a face-to-face chat. It's hard to skim a video like it is for bullet points.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Video resume? I file that under "H", in the "HELL NO!" category.

I remember videos for college applications were all the rage ten? Twenty? years ago, but I think it was more of a short lived fad. I can't say I ever heard of anyone applying for a job using a video resume. While it's a neat idea, as others pointed out, recruiters sometimes have to read hundreds of resumes for some jobs, it's far easier to take a quick look at the resume and see if you have EIEO Programming experience then it is to listen to a five or ten minute video to find out weather you do or don't. I think a resume video would end up in the trash/recycle bin without ever getting viewed.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I wouldn't do any sort of formal video resume but I could easily say that my branding through blog posts, youtube videos, and some stuff I plan on doing in the future is sort of a resume in itself. There's probably a lot more value in showing that you know something and building a name for yourself that way than filming a cheesy video resume. It would provide a body of work to give to employers and get your name out there.

Just my 2 cents.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hard to skim through a video resume.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Hey guys...my name's Tom...and uh...I know routing and switching. So you need someone to route and switch stuff, pick me, alright? I also like cooking, flying model airplanes, and dentyne."

Yeah...no. Don't see it working.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't do a quick search To find key words.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Hey guys...my name's Tom...and uh...I know routing and switching. So you need someone to route and switch stuff, pick me, alright? I also like cooking, flying model airplanes, and dentyne."

Yeah...no. Don't see it working.

That's not how it works. There is a list of questions that a recruiter or possible requisition may have. When I applied to the IRS as Sr. Infosec officer, they asked about maybe 20-30 questions that were inqusitive to the role and could be better explained in a resume/application video.

Youtube states that the attention span for a video is something like 5 - 10 minutes. So, I can see where a 5 minute video that gives a synopsis of your ambitions and skill set in technology makes sense.

It wasn't until Linkedin that people started posting their pictures to their profiles...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The OP talks about a video resume, where you are promoting yourself on your own terms. What Remedymp described is a video interview which is on the potential employer's terms and tailored to what they specifically want to know.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't do any sort of formal video resume but I could easily say that my branding through blog posts, youtube videos, and some stuff I plan on doing in the future is sort of a resume in itself. There's probably a lot more value in showing that you know something and building a name for yourself that way than filming a cheesy video resume. It would provide a body of work to give to employers and get your name out there.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, personal branding is where it is at Twitter, blogging, linked in ect.

When anyone goes to a job interview, they're selling themselves to an employer.

I don't think a video resume holds much substance. However, if you do decide to do a video resume it should look like this:
    https://youtu.be/wO4VYg_Oadg?t=1m53s hahaha icon_lol.gif

The big thing now seems to be applying to jobs using linked in.

Spice works has a nice profile feature:

https://community.spiceworks.com/people?source=project_cta
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□

I don't think a video resume holds much substance. However, if you do decide to do a video resume it should look like this:
    https://youtu.be/wO4VYg_Oadg?t=1m53s hahaha icon_lol.gif

That's hilarious! Maybe you could have that video playing when they open your linkedin profile. :D
  • Options
    I figured this subject would be a humorous one! Thanks for the giggles! LMAO!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hopefully, in a few months I can use this for my video resume - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whEWE6WC1Ew

I have a decent online "brand" (boss found me online a couple years ago, after I was hired... then, I got some more stuff to do). I need to start moving it more from the consumer side to the enterprise side, though. I just really love the consumer side more as a hobby than a job.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kaladi Brothers Coffee does video interviews. They upload the interviews so management can decide who to move along in the hiring process.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recruiters spend seconds on a resume, I don't see them spending the time required to watch a full length vid. I think that's the main reason video resumes kind've dropped out of existence 10-20~ years ago.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I was a hot girl I would. But I am unhot man. So no.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I imagine with enough pyrotechnics and CGI I could make a decent one. Maybe explain to them that during my last job I was able to save $100,000.00 by implementing wireless keyboards and mice company wide....while sticking my head between the jaws of an alligator.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would make my resume like Naked and Afraid. "Hey everyone, hire me while watching my unattractive body fail to make a fire in a jungle covered in ants!'

-scott
  • Options
    y'all are frickin HIGHlarious!

These peeps went all out!

https://loftresumes.com/blogs/news/6000724-5-of-the-worlds-most-creative-video-resumes
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Nah, I don't think so. I think, though, that a youtube channel along with a blog that shows off your skills in a more "this is how you do these things" way could be really good for branding and getting yourself attention.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM