Can a HIDS crash a windows computer?

Hey Guys,

Question, have you ever seen a HIDS service/agent crash a windows computer? As we all know windows O/S can be quite fragile at times. (infamous BSOD).

Has anyone experienced this or heard of a HIDS crashing a windows pc?
Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Question, have you ever seen a HIDS service/agent crash a windows computer? As we all know windows O/S can be quite fragile at times. (infamous BSOD).

Has anyone experienced this or heard of a HIDS crashing a windows pc?

Off the top of my head I don't recall it ever seeing it personally but I could see it happening especially if the resources on the local workstation are being taxed by the HIDS.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There really is no way to rule out that it could happen. A million different configurations and situations, who is to say nothing will ever cause a conflict?
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Absolutely. HIDS hooks into the OS deep to monitor things. Often times vendors have HIDS and HIPS rolled into the same product, the HIPS portion can just be turned on/off depending on the needs of the customers. Usually you have to be in lock step with the OS because patches and updates can remove the hooks or impede access of the HIDS software to do their job, often times itself working like a piece of sophisticated malware.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, in conjunction with the chipset drivers being jacked up.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Thanks all, I figured this was the case. Just couldn't find much info online regarding examples / stories of HIDS crashing PC's. So if anyone has any stories, please share!
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems