Taking 70-410 on April 21 any tips or advice greatly appreciated

wishmeluck82wishmeluck82 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all! I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and finally joined. I have to pass 70-410 and 70-411 by June 1 and I'm suuuper nervous which kind of unfortunately has me stalled. I finally started watching CBT Nuggets and I'm getting through those, going to start taking the Transcender tests and see what I am weak on from there and then bulk up on knowledge in those areas. Not sure what book I should focus on, my boss gave me one (can't remember now what it's called, but didn't have great reviews on Amazon so I'm not really paying attention to that). My best study times are going to be on the weekend (which really just leaves me one weekend left now), I honestly do better cramming. The hardest thing for this was to figure out where to begin so I really wish I joined you guys sooner and asked questions.

Also, I'm really confused about this Exam Replay stuff, is it worth purchasing? I see they're available for $230... that's great because it definitely beats paying 170 and not passing and having to pay that again but I don't see much mention of them in the forums. HELPP!!! I am so confused lol.

I have installed 2012 several times and heavily worked with it in 2012-2014 but the project I'm currently on isn't as involved so there is a lot that I am having to re-learn and brush up on. I have so far learned that CBT Nuggets is a good place to start and I feel pretty comfortable with the material there, Garth is pretty awesome!

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You have the study material - CBT Nuggets, Transcender Practice Tests, and a book - it's just a matter of spending some time with this stuff. Work your way through the book, there will probably be review questions and opportunities to lab out the material. You can do the same as you follow James Conrad or Garth Schulte through it. Double-check what you know against the exam blueprints here and here, and you'll do fine. You'd be amazed at how much you absorb as you read, watch videos, and lab, and at how fast it goes.

Don't forget to go download a trial copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 to get a couple of virtual machines going, so you can follow along with setting things up and trying out what you learn. You can install it as many times as you like, but the activation for each lasts a maximum of 180 days.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As for the exam replay, that's up to you. The real question I'd have is this: are you confident you can study for, and pass, each exam in one try? If you are, then just go ahead and pay the one-time cost to sit the tests. If you're not as confident, and worried you might have to give it a second try, then buying the replay ultimately saves you money.

Think of it like one of those "buy 2, get the 3rd free" deals at the supermarket: do you need three of those things? No, not really, but it's a really good deal and saves you money in the long-run, if you end up using them.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • wishmeluck82wishmeluck82 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for the reply and the information! I am gonna buy the replay for at least 70-410 since it's my first Microsoft exam and I don't know what I'm walking into. I'll let you guys know how I do! :)
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey wishmeluck82, check out my thread here http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/118385-passed-70-410-first-attempt-heres-what-i-did.html where I give a very detailed write-up about my experience with the 410 exam. Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Abi4ITAbi4IT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have recently passed my 70-410.

Very much followed a path similar to AndersonSmith.

Things to consider:

1. Video resources are usually not thorough enough. I have seen many.
    2. Many books are also similar in depth to videos.
    3. You will need to lab lots. Use Linked clones in VMware Workstation or differencing disks in Hyper-V.

Having seen through many resources, I think Technet and MS Official Academic course books have most of the detail.
    Minasi's book is also good.

If you can afford it get MOAC material with their lab manual and follow it through.

Like AndersonSmith emphasized it greatly helps if you already have other certs such as Network+, CCNA etc.
    I have Network+ and studied for CCENT before and benefited in Networking section a lot.

Another point is about preparing for multiple Mcsa exams at once, like 410+411+412.
    Pluralsight people also recommend this tactic.

Good luck with your exams.
  • Abi4ITAbi4IT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, just realised you have a week until the exam.

My advice is if you haven't followed through proper exam training and achieved high results (90%+) in practice tests, you might be better off rescheduling it for later and prepare more.

If you want to to spend in replay voucher then go for it and get a hands on experience of the exam.
    HI everyone!

Ok so, I actually am going to take 70-680 on Friday and I have bought the replay for that exam.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely be using it!!!
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well trust me when I say study and do lab. It took me many times to pass the exam. Most people will know that I tried my butt off but never gave up. Don't stress yourself out so much, and read the question. When you do the lab you will see that it will help you when taking the exam...

Good luck and may the force be with you icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • BolaStephBolaSteph Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently passed my Microsoft Database Fundamental (MTA 98-364) exam.I am passionate working with databases.I bought "SQL lab" and I usually practice to gain hands-on experience and improve myself.

I am currently looking for a "entry level or Junior SQL Database Administration" role. I am looking to enhance my understanding of Database Fundamentals. I am also thinking of taking "MCSA" cert but I need your honest professional advice with respect to the best career path because I love working with data(s). Someone told me that "Microsoft Certification" is not as lucrative as "Oracle Certification". Is this correct? Attached is a copy of my resume.Please advice me .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You.
  • BolaStephBolaSteph Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently passed my Microsoft Database Fundamental (MTA 98-364) exam.I am passionate working with databases.I bought "SQL lab" and I usually practice to gain hands-on experience and improve myself.

I am currently looking for a "entry level or Junior SQL Database Administration" role. I am looking to enhance my understanding of Database Fundamentals. I am also thinking of taking "MCSA" cert but I need honest/professional advice with respect to the best career path because I love working with data(s). Someone told me that "Microsoft Certification" is not as lucrative as "Oracle Certification". Is this correct? Please advice me .

• WinuserWinuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

First of all,all the best for your exam.

Apart from the things mentioned by others, please ensure you know what all the topics covered by the exam. If a question comes up, you should be able to relate to its topic.

This helped me alot. Atleast having the knowledge on what you will be questioned(even if you are not aware of answer), you can make educated gusses.

So, all the best.
    Well... I failed. With a 560 or something like that and to be honest I am not surprised because I really didn't study that hard. I mostly wanted to get a feel for how the test goes because it was my first Microsoft exam. WOW there is so much stuff covered in the exam that it really makes your head spin. Now that I only have one retry left I am definitely nervous because they don't make it easy at all. But like I said I know where to go from here so next Friday I will definitely make sure I pass!

Thanks again for all the advice! Really glad I joined this forum!
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember when you take the exam again it won't be the same . Let's say you only got 1 powershell command question next time you might get 2 more or 7 more. Suggest you study based on what your weakness is and study the other section too.

Good Luck!

Well... I failed. With a 560 or something like that and to be honest I am not surprised because I really didn't study that hard. I mostly wanted to get a feel for how the test goes because it was my first Microsoft exam. WOW there is so much stuff covered in the exam that it really makes your head spin. Now that I only have one retry left I am definitely nervous because they don't make it easy at all. But like I said I know where to go from here so next Friday I will definitely make sure I pass!

Thanks again for all the advice! Really glad I joined this forum!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My philosophy on MS exams is that if you fail with 650 or more, retake the exam as soon as you can. If you are getting below that, make sure you give the material another glance before you retake. Also, LAB LAB LAB. Look at exam objectives as well and use technet as a resource. Microsoft is known for trying to throw you off on their exam questions.

Good luck!
  • heix75heix75 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-410 felt pretty easy. I know that I answered lot's of questions wrong, but still passed it.
    One good advice is that read every question couple of times, to understand what was the question about, it is also good to take notes about the facts in the questions. If I took the 70-410, in the almost end of the exam there were couple of questions about subnetting. I was tired of reading and answering previous questions, so in my mind there was idea to just answer something. But then I think that what if, if I will not pass this exam because of only one question. So I tried to concentrate, and I think that was why I passed it. Every single point will count and might be useful.
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure to do plenty of hands on/labbing. A lot of the questions seem to derive from experience and not so much something you can learn reading out of a book. Seems like a pretty tight time frame to get both tests done, let alone one in my opinion but everybody learns differently and at different rates. I did a write up a few years ago when I passed this test if you would like to take a look:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/106479-passed-70-410-a.html
    Oh I failed 70-680 not 70-410, I changed my mind about taking that one just yet because unfortunately I'm on a time crunch for work and need to get 3 exams done by June 1. I will retest 70-680 on Friday and feel like with some actual studying I'll pass it the second time around. I really just wanted to go ahead and try it out since I bought the replay so I could get a feel for how hard it is.

Not to be a cry baby but work has been super swamped and I'm almost 6 months prego so concentrating on anything outside of work has been a bit difficult especially with the added pressure of a mandatory deadline. But at least I have the weekend to study!
    I have to prepare for the 410 and 411 immediately after the test. I just wish I could relax after work!