Pluralsight users?

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone using Pluralsight on here? If so, how do you like it and what type courses do you watch?

I recently signed up a 7 day trial of LinuxAcademy, to learn some AWS and Linux. I was thinking about maybe switching it to Pluralsight, since they also offer security related courses. I do own ACloud Guru's course for AWS Associate, so I'm not overly worried. I'm sure for linux, I'd be better sticking with Linux Academy.

Would rather not have both

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would like to know as well. WGU Alumni get discounts on Pluralsight subscriptions, and I'd like to know if it's worth it. We do get Skillport for free, so I don't know if it would be worth it as a supplement.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have PS via WGU (got two 90-day trials). I like it a lot. High qualify videos, good content, and good trainers. Better than CBTN IMHO,
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MitM wrote: »
    Anyone using Pluralsight on here? If so, how do you like it and what type courses do you watch?

I recently signed up a 7 day trial of LinuxAcademy, to learn some AWS and Linux. I was thinking about maybe switching it to Pluralsight, since they also offer security related courses. I do own ACloud Guru's course for AWS Associate, so I'm not overly worried. I'm sure for linux, I'd be better sticking with Linux Academy.

Would rather not have both

I tried Pluralsight with the free months of Visual Studio Dev Essentials, right now it's 3 months. Why don't you check it out? I loved the content and all the courses I watched had great slides and good sound. Plus the app lets you download the videos. My cellphone got a bit hot hearing them while driving.

I ended buying the annual ITpro.tv because of the Transcender exams and virtual labs. I also like that it has a Roku channel and that I can download MP3's of the audio, they're nicer on my battery. They also have a 7 day trial. Not everybody likes their content. But really, Pluralsight, ITPro and CBT Nuggets and even Cybrary are complementary sources for the books and practice exams. There's no escaPING them.

PS. The Visual Studio Dev Essentials also has a linux academy trial, I have not checked that one out.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I may check it out. I had a CBTNuggets subscription but not anymore. I do have ITPro though. Just looking for something else
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Safarionlinebooks.com is definitely my favorite. Don't let the name deter you, lots of good videos. Not to mention the official books for a lot of certification exams.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Depends on the instructor but it's pretty good. Sign up for a free account here: https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

And you'll get Pluralsight for 3 months for free. Decide if it's useful after 3 months :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Safarionlinebooks.com is definitely my favorite. Don't let the name deter you, lots of good videos. Not to mention the official books for a lot of certification exams.

I have this too, for my books. There are some good videos on here too. I agree
    Depends on the instructor but it's pretty good. Sign up for a free account here: https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

And you'll get Pluralsight for 3 months for free. Decide if it's useful after 3 months :)

Thanks! I'll try this too. You're so smart :)
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am an happy customer of both Pluralsight and Safari Books Online. Both are great product, but my preference goes to Safari because books are my primary training source and they have also great video. Pluralsight have great content, great trainer and many new training each weeks, specially if you are working in dev.

Recently I started try Cybrary, it is more focused but it is great too. ITpro.tv seem to be lighter in tone, it is less "death by Powerpoint" than Pluralsight. I just find ITpro.tv too expensive. Also, even with all those subscription, they can't give me more time to study ;)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    MitM wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll try this too. You're so smart :)

Ha! Not any smarter than anyone else. That link got around one of the study groups I'm in months ago and I signed up. They have some REALLY broad topics for videos which is awesome. Doesn't help me much in terms of my CCIE Security studies but definitely will when I want to go back and study up on some other non-Cisco topics.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Pluralsight has awesome videos, but not labs or test exams on the level of Boson or Transcenders
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Ha! Not any smarter than anyone else.

There sure are a lot smart folks on here. I appreciate all the replies.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I wasn't a big fan, though I was studying for the VCP5 at the time, and their videos on that topic were painfully low level, I wouldn't spend my money on a plural subscription but it sounds like it depends on the topic.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On Pluralsight, the Ethical Hacking path is very nice and interesting. 20 courses. It's goal is to cover the CEH objective without being tied to the certs. I liked the SSCP path too.
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They have some REALLY broad topics for videos which is awesome. Doesn't help me much in terms of my CCIE Security studies but definitely will when I want to go back and study up on some other non-Cisco topics.

I agree. I find it very useful for learning new topics that I may not have exposure to and need a broad scope. However, when it comes to detailed studies i.e. some SANS topics, I find some of the videos lacking and I turn to safaribooks.