Options

eJPT Full or Elite?

Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just got my CEH, and I'm looking to continue learning. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the eJPT as I don't feel ready for eCPPT or OSCP yet.

Those who have bought the Full or Elite PTS course, what would you recommend? Is the Elite worth the extra $?

Thanks guy!

Comments

• Options
    airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    You should be just fine with the Full version. Even for eCPPT you don't neccessily need the elite version. You'll still get a exam retake with the Full and should learn everything you need to pass.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took my time and having the Elite allowed me to do that. I spent about a year but it took me a few months to really focus on the exam and get it done. I'm a slow learner so it worked out for me.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I do the eCPPT I'm going to do whichever one offers the most lab hours. The lab time is what really made eLearnSecurity such an enriching experience for me. When I did the eJPT, I did the non-elite version, the one with less lab time.

Like jamesleecoleman, I like taking my time. I felt like I had to move on when I wished I could repeat all labs a second time. I was worried about conserving hours needed for the final exam (turns out your lab hours don't count towards the final exam).

As for other benefits, the only other advantage in my opinion is with elite you don't have to put up with awful, garbage, should be banned-from-the-planet Adobe flash slides, instead of a pdf or HTML5.

I'm exaggerating a little. The flash is certainly tolerable. I mostly just dislike Adobe. And Microsoft. And Oracle.:D
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would you recommend eJPT as a worthwhile jumping off point to OSCP or would I be better served just going through the Georgia Weidman books and labs? The money isn't necessarily a consideration I just want to be reasonably well prepared for OSCP.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    redworld wrote: »
    Would you recommend eJPT as a worthwhile jumping off point to OSCP or would I be better served just going through the Georgia Weidman books and labs? The money isn't necessarily a consideration I just want to be reasonably well prepared for OSCP.

What is your level for this type of stuff? People have posted their review and prep for the OSCP on these forums and blogs online. Have you checked out the syllabus for the OSCP? For some people it's eJPT>eCPPT>OSCP. While some just go for the OSCP. There was a review for both the eCPPT and OSCP to compare them as far as testing and learning style. I can't remember if it was on these forums or on a blog.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is your level for this type of stuff? People have posted their review and prep for the OSCP on these forums and blogs online. Have you checked out the syllabus for the OSCP? For some people it's eJPT>eCPPT>OSCP. While some just go for the OSCP. There was a review for both the eCPPT and OSCP to compare them as far as testing and learning style. I can't remember if it was on these forums or on a blog.
    I'll see if I can dig it up on the forums. I'm familiar with the OSCP syllabus. I'm passable with bash/python scripting; I'm comfortable with Wireshark and Netcat and I do vulnerability assessments in my job.

Where I'd be particularly weak is in actual exploitation. I've played around with MSF and walkthroughs of Metasploitable2 but I haven't really touched things like buffer overflows except from an academic standpoint.
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since I'm fairly new to the field and have no background in penetration testing, I went with the Elite option for more lab time on the PTP (eCPPT) course. I'm not very far in to the training because I'm currently doubled-up on the Cisco Cyber Ops class and Palo Alto training (and GCIH training starting in 2 weeks....), but I want to use the training as a solid step before the OSCP. So far, it seems approachable without doing the PTS (eJPT) course, though the system section diving straight in to buffer overflow (super detailed) hurt my brain a bit.

I don't think I'll use all 120 hours on just the course labs, but I don't see any reason why I couldn't use it as a playground for other techniques.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So far, it seems approachable without doing the PTS (eJPT) course, though the system section diving straight in to buffer overflow (super detailed) hurt my brain a bit.

Agree with that, I know I had to go to extra youtube videos for more info when I got to that section. I stopped going through the PTS course awhile back, think the my GCIH course got in the way. Maybe will get back to it someday, maybe. I did pay for the course and exam.
  • Options
    Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You went straight for the eCPPT?

What kind of experience do you have? I thought about that, but figured the eJPT would be a good way to prep for eCPPT or OSCP.