Options

Service desk dilemma

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm 18 and currently I'm working for my local governments service desk on a contract. This contract typically lasts up to 1 year. We support close to 7k users between 7 of us. I'm leading so much here, gaining great experience with a range of tickets. However, I would like to have a permanent job. I have been put forward for a few permanent service desk roles, however I know that I won't learn even close as much as I'm learning now. I'm just a bit confused on what to do? Stay at the contract job, learn a lot more and then move into a 2nd line service desk role in a couple of years or so, or take a permanent service desk role now and go from there?

Comments

• Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Permanent while not learning will keep you steadily at the bottom.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So you have only been there a few months? Is there a reason you would need a full time job right now and couldn't wait a few more months while you gain some more experience (and possibly a more advance cert)? Then apply for more advance positions
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ben1373 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm 18 and currently I'm working for my local governments service desk on a contract. This contract typically lasts up to 1 year. We support close to 7k users between 7 of us. I'm leading so much here, gaining great experience with a range of tickets. However, I would like to have a permanent job. I have been put forward for a few permanent service desk roles, however I know that I won't learn even close as much as I'm learning now. I'm just a bit confused on what to do? Stay at the contract job, learn a lot more and then move into a 2nd line service desk role in a couple of years or so, or take a permanent service desk role now and go from there?

Why do you assume you won't learn anything at a service desk? Every one of them is different...
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    this one's easy:
    There's No such thing as a permanent job.
    Ben1373 wrote: »
    I have been put forward for a few permanent service desk roles, however I know that I won't learn even close as much as I'm learning now.

Keep Learning! And figure out what certification you want to work on next :]
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    These days most employers don't care if your previous roles were perm or contract so this shouldn't be an issue if it is about how it looks on your CV.

Getting the skills is what is most important for you at the very beginning of your career so get stuck in, suck the information from the role and those who can train you and supplement it with certs (eg MCP, network+ etc) to make you look a desirable hire by the time you hit 18 months to 2 years into the role - this will give you the chance to a big step up to 2nd line or other role at a big pay jump in a lot of cases.

Remember that pretty much everyone has to suck it up and do the hard slog at the start just to get the experience, and you are in a better position to most right now.

Unless you love the customer contact part of the service desk, always look to move up and see if the other roles are more interesting. You can always move back but moving up if the challenge.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't understand how you can already know that you won't learn as much at the other jobs.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to get as much experience as possible, stay a contractor. Your contracting company makes more money by getting you into a higher level position, so just sit back, and let them work hard to get you a promotion. You rise up the ranks a lot faster that way. You don't leave the contractor game until you've gotten plenty of experience, then you move over to a "permanent" role, and stay there a while.