Options

active timer and standby timer in Hot Standby Router Protocol? Help!!

Llukman1Llukman1 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can someone please explain to me how these timers work.

In the book I am reading it says:

Active timer The active timer monitors the state of the active router. The timer resets each time a router in the standby group receives a Hello packet from the active router. This timer expires based on the hold time value that’s set in the corresponding eld of the HSRP hello message.
Standby timer The standby timer is used to monitor the state of the standby router. The timer resets anytime a router in the standby group receives a Hello packet from the standby router and expires based on the hold time value that’s set in the respective Hello packet.

But looking at Cisco's website: Understanding and Troubleshooting HSRP Problems in Catalyst Switch Networks - Cisco
Active timer This timer is used to monitor the active router. This timer starts any time an active router receives a hello packet.
Standby timer this timer is used in order to monitor the standby router. The timer starts any time the standby router receives a hello packet.

What I am not understanding is why is it that on cisco's website it says anytime an active router receives a hello packet but in the book it is saying anytime a router in the standby group not the active router.
Same thing for the standby timer.