Options

I dont know what to do

dota2sf46dota2sf46 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Basically I am a student of IT but I dont like it I dont like anything its so hard to select my career I understand programming and like more than an average student but deep inside I know that, that is not what I should be doing. Any help? Any idea?

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    How much understanding do you have of programming? Maybe you could combine that with your passion for gaming by researching how Dota 2 was developed? Or are you not interested in that side of things either?

Are you creative? What about the art used in the games in which you like to partake, or the story lines, if you're a creative writer?

It's going to be hard work for anyone to advise you unless you can say what you are interested in, rather than posting about want you're not interested in.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Student of IT"... that means nothing.

I.T. is a mile wide... you just need to find your spot within it.

On the otherhand,
    if you think that you're suppose to be a teacher, or writer, or Philanderer....

then it's time for some self-reflection.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dota2sf46 wrote: »
    Basically I am a student of IT but I dont like it I dont like anything its so hard to select my career I understand programming and like more than an average student but deep inside I know that, that is not what I should be doing. Any help? Any idea?

If you know deep down, why are you asking this question?

A life of misery isn't worth a couple dollars.

I was a touring musician for a number of years. I did IT contracts as a way to earn money but music was my passion. However, IT was definitely something that held my interest and now I found a great balance of earning a living (in IT) and still doing my passion (music).

If IT isn't even on the RADAR for something you would enjoy doing, you need to bail. I can tell you from first hand experience that I absolutely hate working with people who HATE working in IT but do it anyway....
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple as that. However, on the flip side, don't do something that is not considerably profitable either. I.e. degree in anthropology. You should have a passion (Or enough of it) for what you do. If it's not there, look elsewhere. Just do your research and make sure you don't waste 4 years of studies on something that won't be all that helpful in your career endeavors.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    volfkhat wrote: »
    or Philanderer....

I really hope you meant "philanthropist". icon_lol.gif
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    goatama wrote: »

Hey, some people have a passion. And if you can make philandering profitable, good on ya!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    goatama wrote: »

Nope!!
    :]
  • Options
    Jack B. QuickJack B. Quick Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always tell people that if you're about to graduate, and you feel like you really don't want to do what you're about to do, don't worry about it. Its more important to have a job and some on hand cash. Graduate, get a job in programming, and do it for a year or two at least. Then, if you decide you really hate it and want to leave, you'll have the economic freedom to go off in any other direction. But don't just say, "I hate this and never want to do it," and then graduate and be a barista for a decade as you "figure it out." You can always decide to go somewhere else, but once you're out of school, its usually gonna cost money.

Now all of this is with the caveat that you can't really come up with a better plan for graduating. If you can, and it looks solid, more power to you.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IT is an awfully broad field. So much so that almost anyone can find a niche if they look hard enough. Check out the various certification paths available to you for ideas. Cloud? Security? Python? Wireless? The sky's the limit. We are in an industry that, imho, is easy to break into and make a semi decent living at. There's no reason you can't find a good balance with something else that grabs you. If you're close to graduation I'd stick it out. Check that box at the very least and go from there. If you give it a solid year and feel that you hate the field from all directions than yes, get out. Find something that you can tolerate and keep yourself fed. But if you do stay in IT- in whatever form it takes- you'll be happy you have that degree.