Accepted CEUs for BrightTalk, Udemy, Cybrary, etc?

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Had a quick question and just wanted to see everyone else's experiences. I need to maintain my Comptia Security+ certification. I was planning to watch webinars and complete courses but had 2 quick questions (below). My plan was to:

1.) Submit 10 CE's using BrightTalk webinars - I watched a webinar on Brighttalk but did not get any type of certificate of completion. Has this been everyone else's experience as well? Were you still able to submit this for credit to Comptia?

2.) Submit the remaining 40 CE's using Cybrary and Udemy courses - Has anyone been able to successfully submit completed Cybrary and Udemy course certificates to Comptia for CE's?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this.
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am in same boat, duder...I have reached my max of 10 CEU's for webinars. I rec'd a combination of them through Professor Messer live training on YouTube & a couple of CompTIA webinars. I have been looking at the options, but it all involves spending more money: CompTIA fees $50 per yr, taking college courses; which I am not certain if Udemy or Cybrary are ok (that might be worth looking into by contacting CompTIA support), blog/article writing about security, IT security experience (which I have, but still need to finish my year in Oct to submit). I believe there are a few more here: https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/how-to-renew/earn-continuing-education-units

I think I will just try to pass my CSA+ or CASP before my May 2019 deadline. Then it will renew it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to keep things simple, so my first choice was to pass CASP... but I didn't pass.

So then I only really looked at their pre-approved course lists. I used FedVTE courses (free to U.S. veterans and federal employees), but they also list pre-approved courses from SkillSoft, Cybrary, and some others. Lists are here https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/choose/renewing-with-multiple-activities/training-and-higher-education.

Joe
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AverageJoe wrote: »
    I try to keep things simple, so my first choice was to pass CASP... but I didn't pass.

So then I only really looked at their pre-approved course lists. I used FedVTE courses (free to U.S. veterans and federal employees), but they also list pre-approved courses from SkillSoft, Cybrary, and some others. Lists are here https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/choose/renewing-with-multiple-activities/training-and-higher-education.

Joe

Thanks
    For
    pointing
    this
    out!

I missed this when reviewing CompTIA's website. I have access to Skillsoft myself.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How hard is it to get the CEUs in a three year time ? I'm not there yet as I have to pass my Sec+ in June and renew everything, but just wondering should I start right ahead after I pass my Sec+ and start working for CEUs ?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How hard is it to get the CEUs in a three year time ? I'm not there yet as I have to pass my Sec+ in June and renew everything, but just wondering should I start right ahead after I pass my Sec+ and start working for CEUs ?

If you keep on it, it is quite easy to get 50 CEUs in one year, so three isn't too hard.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    How hard is it to get the CEUs in a three year time ?

Well, it's 50 CEUs for Sec+, so roughly 50 hours... so just gauge how long it would take to go through 50 hours of courses/etc. You can knock it out pretty easily in an hour a day for about 2 months. I don't think it's critical to start immediately after getting certified, but it's also not a good idea to wait until the last minute.

I started focusing on getting mine done when I was about a year from expiration, I think. But then I knocked it out pretty quickly.

I have two co-workers who waited until too close to the expiration and then didn't get the CEUs finished, and both expired out. That's definitely not the way to do it, but a lot of folks seem to put themselves in that position.
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I don't want to put myself in that situation lol

Thanks for answers!
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    In the past I've submitted FEDVTE courses (40 CEUs total) for my Sec + CEUs. Ideally a course will provide you with a certificate and you would then upload with how many hours spent (translates to CEUs). You can also do webinars up to 10 CEUs, which you just have to provide a summary of what they cover and it has to be security related.

As long as you follow the CompTIA guidelines when submitting CEUs, you don't have to worry if they audit you because you're following the rules (they're looking for cheaters). In my experience (having been Sec + certified for 7 years now), I've only been audited once and that was the most recent cycle when I submitted my RHCE (50 CEUs) for my last CEU cycle.

Overall its extremely easy to get your CEUs completed as long as you don't wait until the last 2-3 months before your CEU deadline.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    In the past I've submitted FEDVTE courses (40 CEUs total) for my Sec + CEUs. Ideally a course will provide you with a certificate and you would then upload with how many hours spent (translates to CEUs). You can also do webinars up to 10 CEUs, which you just have to provide a summary of what they cover and it has to be security related.

As long as you follow the CompTIA guidelines when submitting CEUs, you don't have to worry if they audit you because you're following the rules (they're looking for cheaters). In my experience (having been Sec + certified for 7 years now), I've only been audited once and that was the most recent cycle when I submitted my RHCE (50 CEUs) for my last CEU cycle.

Overall its extremely easy to get your CEUs completed as long as you don't wait until the last 2-3 months before your CEU deadline.
    How do you get proof from FedVTE that you completed the course? I just started using that website a couple of weeks ago and I'm not completely familiar with it.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

FedVTE lets you print out a certificate after you complete the course.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    FedVTE lets you print out a certificate after you complete the course.

What he said^.
  • RosegardenRosegarden Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What about the people that can't get an account on FedVTE? I just passed my sec+ exam. I don't want to have to take this exam again. Trying really hard to find ways to keep it current. Thanks for any advice that could help us keep our certification current.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

Joe

Thanks for linking to this - very helpful! When I look at the pre-approved list, it says at the top: Pre-Approved Training Courses for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)I would imagine this list does not only apply to people working at the DoD? Am I reading this correctly? Has anyone (not part of the DoD) submitted courses from these list and got them approved? Specifically Cybrary?

Also, has anyone been able to submit Paul's Security Weekly webcasts as CEUs? I only ask because I also hold a SANS cert and that was one of the pre-approved methods of getting renewal credits.
    "Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."