Options

Help me decide my next Education step.

PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Background:
I have been in IT for about 4 years. I started as a cable guy, then I worked Help Desk and got promoted to Workstation Support. I then took a job at a much larger enterprise for a Help Desk position.

I have a Bachelors of University Studies from a State school, it was focused in Geographic Information Systems but I'm not as exited about it as I once was and don't really want to do it for a living.

I have been studying for the CCNA R&S and I have found myself very interested in Network Architecture and Network Security (blue team stuff?).

I will be doing the CCNA CyberOps Scholarship January through March 2018.

With the company I work for I get a lot more money a year to spend on Education than Certs so I am really looking for advice for what WGU programs would help me get in the direction I want to go. I really don't need a lecture about the evils of college, right now I have money and study time and that doesn't happen much in life so I want utilize it.

Career Goals:

Obviously this is subject to change as my career progresses, but if I were to go off of what I am interested in now I would say long term I would really like to be a Network or Security Architect. But I am lucky enough that I am interested almost all things IT.

SO the question is which WGU program is right for me?

https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/cybersecurity_information_assurance_bachelor_degree
https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_technology_degree_security

OR
https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/cybersecurity_information_assurance_master_degree

I have been mentally preparing myself for the Masters program and I am leaning that way. I am looking at education as something for myself, I don't expect it to make me a fortune I just love to learn.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if this is sort of an odd rant let me know if you need more details.

**Edit: I am taking the CCENT on May 09, I really expect a pass because I was going to take it this Friday but there were no openings.**

**Edit: I had applied for the BS Information Security and all no IT credits transferred, I would expect it to be the same for the BS CIA.**
Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just looked the WGU site, why does BS in "Information Technology - Security" have a course dedicated to the CCNA:R&S but the BS in "Information Technology - Network Admin" does not? icon_scratch.gif

The Interconnecting Network Devices courses

I guess the BS in "Information Technology - Security" would get my vote.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You already have a BS degree. All you need now is CERTs and EXPERIENCE. You should aim to get your CCNA within a few months. Then start looking to get a Network Administrator job ASAP. Then in a few years go for the CCNP etc...
  • Options
    Just looked the WGU site, why does BS in "Information Technology - Security" have a course dedicated to the CCNA:R&S but the BS in "Information Technology - Network Admin" does not? icon_scratch.gif

The Interconnecting Network Devices courses

I guess the BS in "Information Technology - Security" would get my vote.

Yes, I just don't really get their Cert Choice.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I missed that you already have a BS... Just go after certs in whatever interests you.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm split on how I should provide a recommendation.

1) I think getting a 2nd bachelors degree is redundant given you already have a related bachelors degree
    2) you say you love to learn and the course content and certs in the bachelors programs are probably highly appealing

I'd recommend self-studying and learning what you want (CCENT->CyberOps-> CCNA -> Sec+ ->CCNP/CISSP (depending on your experience and path)), continuing your career progression, and then revisiting if you want to pursue further education (Masters) later.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    You already have a BS degree. All you need now is CERTs and EXPERIENCE. You should aim to get your CCNA within a few months. Then start looking to get a Network Administrator job ASAP. Then in a few years go for the CCNP etc...

I kind of stuck where I am at career wise for about a year do to family things so this isn't really an option right now.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I kind of stuck where I am at career wise for about a year do to family things so this isn't really an option right now.

Get your CCNA and network internally. Maybe the Network Administrator in your current company will allow you to alleviate him from certain task. Or you can constantly LAB even after you receive your CCNA. You already have a BS degree so no need to get another to pad the resume. Get other certs relevant to what you want to do in the future.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Get your CCNA and network internally. Maybe the Network Administrator in your current company will allow you to alleviate him from certain task. Or you can constantly LAB even after you receive your CCNA. You already have a BS degree so no need to get another to pad the resume. Get other certs relevant to what you want to do in the future.

Not to completely discard you advice but where I work there is far too much bureaucracy were I work to allow me to work for another section of IT. They way I see it the BS from WGU will get me the certs, and my employer will cover it. Like I said I have time and money right now and I am looking at getting the most bang for my buck. Basically I will be really hitting the job market a year from now.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As long as you have any kind of bachelor's degree, you're good.

Time to get those certs.

I also suggest getting CompTIA Security+.