New OffSec certification. You're welcome

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Kali Linux Certified Professional:
https://www.kali.org/news/introducing-kali-linux-certified-professional/

You're welcome!! :)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Soooo kinda like their certification option to go for before the OSCP if I'm reading it correctly?
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's cool. A good foundation before the OSCP. Learn Kali Linux pretty in depth so you're comfortable with it before tackling the more difficult exam. I like this, as it was usually recommended to have some decent Linux experience (Linux+) before hitting the OSCP. Now, you're getting it with the distribution you're most likely to use on the OSCP. I like it. :)
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is pretty cool. I wonder if it will be rolled out into an online format after the initial class....
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pretty sure someone posted this already, but still a great reminder that it is available. I figure the book would cover everything needed for the exam. Might be adding it to the list!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get that anyone taking training at BlackHat is going on the company dime, but $5k for how to install and configure Kali? Wow. Nice gig.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah we did discuss this one a few months ago, from the page:
    [FONT=&quot]Please Note: This is not a penetration testing course.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] This course is focused on teaching the student how to get the most out of the Kali Linux Penetration Testing Platform, not how to use the packaged tools in an offensive manner. [/FONT]
    So it's a 5K class on how to use linux, but not any of the tools. Seems like a total cash grab.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PC509 wrote: »
    That's cool. A good foundation before the OSCP. Learn Kali Linux pretty in depth so you're comfortable with it before tackling the more difficult exam.

Show me an employer that will place more value on you if you have this certification, if you can't it's a pointless and worthless certification to possess. While the training may be valuable, that doesn't mean a certification in it will be.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So it's a 5K class on how to use linux, but not any of the tools. Seems like a total cash grab.

Not linux, a specific distribution. Its unfair to say exactly what will be taught in the class in terms of tools without a review. That simply states the course is not designed to make you a pentester, it doesn't mean the tools will not be utilized.
    Show me an employer that will place more value on you if you have this certification

I would. I would rather have an applicant for a security position who has demonstrated familiarity with a security distribution. They may not be a pentester but they have made an effort to learn something related to security and having the cert shows more than a line on a resume where someone claims they have familiarity with it.
    While the training may be valuable, that doesn't mean a certification in it will be.

A certifications value goes beyond just its worth to an employer, which is variable. If that certification motivates someone to learn, then it has value. As for the value to the employer, some employers could see it as a different certification that catches their eye and shows the applicant is going outside the box. Ive seen it personally when my employers asked about my CPT.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but the official title for the OSCP course is PWK (Penetration Testing With Kali Linux), and you'll learn how to use Kali in that course. I'm sure there are more advanced concepts in PWK than in KLCP, but it still seems like an unnecessary step and a cash grab.
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but the official title for the OSCP course is PWK (Penetration Testing With Kali Linux), and you'll learn how to use Kali in that course. I'm sure there are more advanced concepts in PWK than in KLCP, but it still seems like an unnecessary step and a cash grab.
    While I agree with what you're saying (cash grab), the pre-reqs for the PWK/OSCP are that you know how to use linux reasonably well already.
  • Options
    SaSkiller wrote: »
    Not linux, a specific distribution. Its unfair to say exactly what will be taught in the class in terms of tools without a review. That simply states the course is not designed to make you a pentester, it doesn't mean the tools will not be utilized.
    I'd be interested in seeing a review as well. The course info page specifically says, and I quoted it in my earlier post, that it's not about the kali tools. Forget not making you a pentester, it doesn't even cover any of the tools. Just seems very odd to be offered by OfFSec.