Options

Passed Security+ 1 hour ago, not pleased.

2»

Comments

• Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    tell us how it goes
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm 100% certain you got this! Good luck!

Thanks Deus Ex Machina! You're sure boosting my confidence. I'm scheduled to take it on May 8. Hoping I'm on here May 9 posting good news.
  • Options
    topazfaetopazfae Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My husband mostly works in Govt sections. I work in a higher education setting. In order to get the new job, he had to take Sec+. He passed it 3 years ago and even with my urge, he let it expired. He went into without Darril's book. Only depended on MeasureUP because it helped him the last time. He studied for only a week and half at the most. He came out with a 685. He was bummed, but I told him it's a good score for someone who doesn't study that much. So his experience working in IT helped him. So now we ordered the Darril book. I also have an access to lynda.com. So I decided to go for the test myself since I work in an IT setting and I work a lot with systems.

I told him, he should pass this time because he now has access to all three study materials - Lynda.com, MeasureUp and Darril and his materials online. I would be surprised if he fails again. I told him it is a lesson for him to LEARN to listen to me to keep up with his certs instead of letting it expired. It expired on March 8. He got an offer in MArch 24, pending on his damn certs. He ould have got it renewed very easily based on his previous training at his old jobs.

We were qualified to get extended time - because I'm deaf and I take some more time to read questions and re-read them to make sure I understand what it is saying. My husband is qualified because of his disease (MS) - his cognitive skills are not sharp as before. He did not use the extended time on his last test. I encourage him to apply for the extension.

I plan to take the test myself after my husband finishes his and is working. Tip for you - get CompTIA bundle, it's life saving for us. Technically, it's like you are getting the 2nd test for free. Two vouchers for exams and study guide. I hope this bundle will be still there when it is time for me to take it.

Fortunately, his job will pay half of his exam fee if he failed, and full when he passes. Since he purchased the bundle - we saved his company some money :)

Study materials we use:
    Darril Gibson's book
    Lynda.com Sec+ Learn Path
    MeasureUp

I saw it somewhere here - MeasureUp is more difficult than it actually is on a real CompTIA Sec+. So I hope it prepares us.

Shannon
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You passed, be happy. Move on. icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Be pleased because you passed, plenty have come out of that testing room with their heads down and were not pleased because they didn't.
  • Options
    PeterHandsPeterHands Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember some time ago i used measureup.com as a practice test engine. Its a paid for resource but well worth it.
    ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+
  • Options
    Oliver0822Oliver0822 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One of the problem with these test is that you can use different resources and believe you know everything only to have a question thrown at you that was never covered, or just didn't seem important. You might study everything you need to know about authentication only to have a question such as: which authentication method is the most popular. All that studying and the only question you got about that particular subject is one you just never thought would be important.

They may also ask you a questions that are really confusing and all the choices may seem applicable.
  • Options
    KhayriKhayri Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed on yesterday and I had no Linux questions. I did have quite a few obscure ones that weren't in the comptia book or the Darril Gibson book
    Certifications - CompTIA A +, CompTIA Security +
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wasn't too impressed with the test either but mostly for my own reasons

I didn't study very hard, paid for the exam and tried to study as much as I could but got tired of the material and focused on my job instead. I worked at a SOC at the time, and spent most days investigating security incidents, managing devices and being a lead engineer for certain clients. Stopped reading the sec + books, decided even if I fail its ok and I'll study harder next time

Closed my eyes, pressed finish exam and passed the exam with a good score. Surprised myself but in a way I wasn't impressed with the exam since whats in the books/study material is barely on the exam sometimes..

Don't do what I did btw, the one time this happened to me and it won't happen again, if you are dedicated to your career make sure you study and read/watch videos from multiple sources.. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You should be happy if you passed the test without practical experience. The techs with experience normally take the prep test so they can study the testing format.

If a tech has good foundation, he/she will be able to deal with questions that were not covered by prep tests or study material.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wasn't impressed with the exam since whats in the books/study material is barely on the exam sometimes..

The exam is not written to match the books/study material. The study material is supposed to be written to match the exam. So if the two don't match, it is generally a failing of the study material. This applies to all tests that I'm aware of, with the possible exception of the PMI tests that ARE supposed to be written to test the tester's knowledge of the PMBOK