Options

Are there grants to just cover exam costs?

walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
Of course, one way to do this, is to take a course that includes a voucher for an exam.

When you do this, you spend $5000 to get a voucher worth $350. But if a grant covers it, so what? Then you go to a five day class, after which, you are supposed to study on your own.

This does not seem like a sensible system to me.

Is there any way to get a grant for just the cost of the exam?

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best, ask your boss to expense for your exam (at least, and possibly training material/classes).
  • Options
    walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What if you are unemployed?

I think most grants cover those who are not employed.

If I get a grant for training + certification; why not get a grant for just certification?
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    walterbyrd wrote: »
    If I get a grant for training + certification; why not get a grant for just certification?

I wish life worked this way, but it's probably about making an investment. If you take the training, you're much more likely to pass, therefore not wasting the exam price. It's true that it spends more money in the longrun IF everyone passed without training but most people won't, so I guess it's a cost-preventative.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Talk to the employment office. Many times they do have a budget for vouchers for taking the exams. Right after my first back surgery, I was able to take a couple Server 2000 exam. Granted that was quite a while ago (I can't believe it's already 2017 and Server 2000 is ancient... I wanted my NT certs, but needed to look to the future!), but they might have something for you.