Need Some Advice! I can't get an entry level/internship, or volunteer position

PhotoGuy87PhotoGuy87 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone I am looking to get my foot in the door in the IT industry but I've been having a hard time making that happen. I am about to finish my Network+ and Security+ classes next week, after which I plan on taking the tests for the certifications. For the past 5 months I've been trying to get an entry level job or an internship but I haven't had any luck at all. I can't even find a volunteer position to gain some experience, I don't know if it is because the job market in Houston is still recovering from the oil situation. Regardless I would love to hear any advice or recommendations from the members of this community, thank you everyone!

Comments

• scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try looking into some IT meet-up groups, or look for a hackerspace in your area. If you connect with the right people socially, then they may be able to help you get in the door professionally.
    PhotoGuy87 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I am looking to get my foot in the door in the IT industry but I've been having a hard time making that happen. I am about to finish my Network+ and Security+ classes next week, after which I plan on taking the tests for the certifications. For the past 5 months I've been trying to get an entry level job or an internship but I haven't had any luck at all. I can't even find a volunteer position to gain some experience, I don't know if it is because the job market in Houston is still recovering from the oil situation. Regardless I would love to hear any advice or recommendations from the members of this community, thank you everyone!
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not easy man.

I know information technology degree holders with multiple cert who can't get anything.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Your pain resonates with me and I know exactly how you feel. There's really only 1 answer to your dilemma-
    connections.

"The winner takes it all"
  • PhotoGuy87PhotoGuy87 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice everyone, I will look to see if there are any meet ups happening around me. I know quite a few people in the IT industry but none of them are able to give me a position. Also I am constantly trying to meet people who work in the industry but haven't had any luck meeting someone that knows of an available positions or ways to get my foot in the door.
    Your pain resonates with me and I know exactly how you feel. There's really only 1 answer to your dilemma-
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Get creative. Obviously job fairs are good. Bring a ton of resumes and dispense them like they are tokens at a Chuck E Cheese. Talk to your professors. Family obviously, even extended. Don't be afraid to move too. In fact, I would encourage you to. I missed out on a couple potentially amazing internship opportunities as I didn't immediately warm up to that idea. You're also in the weird situation where a lot of the summer job application windows have closed by now. You might be SOL until the next wave of application windows rolls around, and if that is the case, you need to do something that is actually within your control, like working on some sort of project with kids at school or going for yet another cert.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It makes a difference how you approach this. What you want to do is make connections and socialize. Don't ever go to a meet-up, event, or hackerspace looking for someone to give you a position, and don't ever present yourself from a position of needing anything.

Talk about projects you're working on, areas of interest, and you could even mention certs you're studying for if the topic comes up. Then ask them what they're interested in and/or working on. Show interest, ask questions, and connect on a level of shared interest. Don't bring up your employment status or current job unless they ask. If they bring it up, answer briefly, and casually shift the conversation back to topics of mutual interest.

For example:

New person: "We've got a big database migration project going on at work right now, so I'm pretty swamped. Haven't had time to mess with 3-d printing much yet. So what do you do for work?"
    You: "Right now I'm just working at a shirt factory buttoning shirts. But eventually I'll find a way into networking once I finish my certs. So how about you? What got you started in databases?"

So in that example, you let them know your goals without asking them for anything--that's important. Neediness is a turn-off to most people, but confidence and motivation inspire interest. Eventually you'll have a conversation like that, and someone is going to say, "I know a guy with a junior networking position open. Maybe I can connect you and see if there's a fit."

So to sum up, be patient, be confident, never act needy, and always show interest in the other person.
    PhotoGuy87 wrote: »
    I know quite a few people in the IT industry but none of them are able to give me a position. Also I am constantly trying to meet people who work in the industry but haven't had any luck meeting someone that knows of an available positions or ways to get my foot in the door.
  • kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    How about you do a Google or a Linkedin search for local companies that you would like to work for.

Then find their contact detals (I prefer email) then send them a email and give them a description of who you are for an example " I am a university student studying etc etc and know this and this"

And say I am willing to volunteer for free icon_smile.gif - to gain some work experience.

I did this when I was starting out in my career

And it has worked well !

Best of luck !
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
    I figured I would update the thread and let you guys know that I still haven't had any luck finding an entry level job or volunteer position to gain experience. I looked into local meet ups like suggested but from what I found there isn't any IT groups that meet up. In May I did receive my MTA Security Fundamentals certification and now I am going to start studying for the MCSA Server 2012 certification. Recently I've met a few people in the IT field but they all said they don't know of any where that is hiring.

I never thought it would be this hard to get an entry level job or gain experience after talking to the people I know in the IT field. I'm definitely not going to give up even though it feels like I am constantly hitting dead ends with trying to gain experience.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whats yout location?
    What jobs are you applying for?
    Have you redone your resume?
    Apply to helpdesk or temp or contract roles to get your foot in the door.
    Post your resume for feedback
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Whats yout location?
    What jobs are you applying for?

I'm applying for help desks, Tech Support, NOC Tech, Desktop Support, and a few other positions

Have you redone your resume?

Yes I have, I just redid it about a week ago.

Apply to help desk or temp or contract roles to get your foot in the door.

I've been applying for those positions nonstop

Post your resume for feedback

I'll have to post my resume later this evening.

See answers in bold
    I forgot to post that I am located in North Houston
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you get any experience from the institution you are taking classes?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1st jobs is always the hardest to get. Keep on plugging away at learning and whilst applying for roles.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Are you getting interviews? If no --> It's the resume. Correct it/better format.

Getting calls is about the resume. Getting the job is about you.
    meh
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get your A+ first. You can focus on higher certs later once you get your foot in the door.

With A+ you'll be able to land a helpdesk role easier and go from there. Try IT staffing agencies.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was about to say, I don't know why people think it's a good idea to skip the A+. That knowledge is key to lower level jobs.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are there any educational establishments you could volunteer in such as schools, colleges, universities they sometimes have less IT staff that a traditional business would have so often need all the extra help possible from my experience over this side of the pond.

But you may have already tried that route. Only other advice is keep trying sometimes you need to be persistent and you will catch a break when you least expect it.
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's tough breaking into the field man. I had a 2 year internship under my belt when I finished my bachelors and it still took me a year to land my first real IT job. During that year I took an unpaid internship for 8 months just to gain some more experience. I would say once you finish those 2 certs, it will be a bit easier to land your first job. Good luck and don't give up!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have a little more work to do before companies will take notice. You won't be able to get far with basic certs like N+ and Sec+ these days. Once you get your MCSA or MCSE is when you should get more interest. At that point, you should be able to get a good entry level help desk or IT admin position. Start by installing Virtual box and setup a Windows server or two.

You also need to be willing to pick up and move, especially if you live in an area where there's not much in the way of IT jobs. Remember Austin and San Antonio are hot markets for IT jobs. If you don't have a degree, think about going to school and at least getting an Associates. Telling HR and hiring managers in the interview process will help score brownie points. The idea is to get yourself into a position that will pay for some or all of your degree.

Your resume could also be part of the reason your not having any luck. Once you get your MCSA, you can post what you have on the forums here. Just make sure to remove any personal information (i.e.: Name, address, phone, etc.) before posting.

Remember that you'll never stop learning in this industry. You will need to invest the time, money, and effort to move up the ladder and get to where you want to be.
    MCSA and MCSE is a bit overkill if his aim is for "entry" level jobs, he will do fine with N+ and Sec+. I would say if you cant get an entry level position with those 2 certs, then the problem lies else where. Such as, your resume, interview skills or a lack of knowledge.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Get your A+ first. You can focus on higher certs later once you get your foot in the door.

With A+ you'll be able to land a helpdesk role easier and go from there. Try IT staffing agencies.

I've looked in to getting my A+ but all of my IT professors told me not to waste my time since most companies don't really care about it. Instead they suggested to go for N+, S+, or Microsoft Certifications.

I've tried gaining experience through my local community college but they don't have any volunteer IT positions.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My advice:
    I would post your resume on this forum for review by other forum members. Please REMOVE all personal and company info. I wouldn't apply to any more jobs until someone reviews your resume.

+ 1 on the MCSA being overkill!! It's great to have these skills and knowledge, but it's a little beyond entry level.

You said you can't find any local meet ups. Have you tried searching meetup.com?

Do you have a college degree?
    Having a degree does help.

I agree with others, if you're applying for jobs, and not getting any interviews, then there is probably an issue with your resume.

For the volunteer positions, I would check volunteermatch.com. I found some volunteer positions on that website.

Here's a good link on internships and volunteering:
    Internship & Volunteering

Here is a good link on Resume writing:
    Resumes
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    kiki162 wrote: »
    You have a little more work to do before companies will take notice. You won't be able to get far with basic certs like N+ and Sec+ these days. Once you get your MCSA or MCSE is when you should get more interest. At that point, you should be able to get a good entry level help desk or IT admin position. Start by installing Virtual box and setup a Windows server or two.

You also need to be willing to pick up and move, especially if you live in an area where there's not much in the way of IT jobs. Remember Austin and San Antonio are hot markets for IT jobs. If you don't have a degree, think about going to school and at least getting an Associates. Telling HR and hiring managers in the interview process will help score brownie points. The idea is to get yourself into a position that will pay for some or all of your degree.

Your resume could also be part of the reason your not having any luck. Once you get your MCSA, you can post what you have on the forums here. Just make sure to remove any personal information (i.e.: Name, address, phone, etc.) before posting.

Remember that you'll never stop learning in this industry. You will need to invest the time, money, and effort to move up the ladder and get to where you want to be.

I plan on moving to Portland or Seattle in the near future but I was hoping to get some experience under my belt before I made the move that way it would be easier to get a job. I already have an Associates and am in the process of getting my Bachelors.

Maybe you guys are right that it could be something to do with my resume and that it needs to be reformatted.
    Hey guys here is my resume, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciate. For some reason the bullet point underneath core competencies is shown in bold but on my resume it is not in bold like that.

[h=2]IT Systems[/h][h=2][/h]
    • Seeking an opportunity in IT career field. I am committed to providing quality skills, with professional work ethic. I enjoy working in a fast pace environment, and learning all aspects of the business. I'm extremely self-motivated, reliable, and committed to task. Most of all, I enjoy working with others and building long lasting relationships.
    CORE COMPETENCIES
    • [h=2]Proficient in Microsoft programs such as Word, Power Point, Excel, and Access. Interested in MCSE, Cisco, and programming Certifications. [/h]
    · Experienced in Basic computer trouble shooting and computer set ups and formatting.
    · Understanding of Network security and hardware proficiency.

EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Acquiring BS, Information Systems, Houston Community College Houston, Texas 2016-Present.
    Associates of Arts, Lone Star College – Houston, Texas 2016
    MTA: Security Fundamentals Certification - 2017
    · Volunteered at Lone Star Cy-fair Computer lab as lab tech (2013-16).
    · Computer Repair Services (2014-Present)
    [h=2][/h][h=2]PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE[/h]
    Oakley Inc. - Sales Associate 2011-2014
    • Engaged in cross/relationship selling, product marketing, and promotion techniques/campaigns.
    · Provide peer feedback and coaching to Sales associates to improve business results and customer experience.
    • Assisted coworkers with complex transactions, problem resolution, and on-the-job training.
    • Provided information, handled the more complex customer inquiries, and successfully resolved conflicts.
    Wilson Fire Equipment – IT Help Desk/Estimator 2007-2009
    • Provided technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware
    • Resolved technical problems with Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, and other systems
    • Installed, modified, and repaired computer hardware and software.
    • Constructed fire alarm systems, nurse call system, intercom systems, CATV systems, and security camera systems for commercial businesses.
    Farmers Insurance - Insurance Producer 2006-2007
    • Generated and Processed payments from policyholders.
    • Responded accurately and efficiently to policyholder’s inquiries and concerns.
    • Marketed the agency and generated customer interest by going out into the community and interacting with local commercial businesses and through contacts.
  • TibsTibs Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since you have had trouble for this long, reconsider getting the A+ first. Yes, N+ and S+ are higher and if you're pursuing those the A+ could be seen as a waste of time, but don't forget you are trying to get into *entry level* positions right now. It is a common expectation (and sometimes a requirement) to have the A+ for those positions.

With that in mind, despite having the MTA right now, if people looking over your resume for those positions are looking for an A+ and don't see it; then they may not even look at anything else and just move on to the next resume. If you see the A+ being listed under requirements or pluses commonly for the positions you are applying for, then the people that decided not to get the A+ would get an interview consideration before you.
  • TibsTibs Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In terms of your resume, I recently made the transition into my first IT position within the last year. I had to completely re-work my resume for it too. Take a look over the details you gave for your previous jobs (responsibilities, accomplishments, etc). If you're going for a tech related position, see if you can approach talking about your previous jobs from a tech standpoint. You may not need to do that for the Help Desk position you had, but the other two jobs are showing employers that you would be good for sales. For the descriptions of those jobs, talk less about the sales and social aspects of those jobs and focus a bit more on the technical side of the jobs where you can. Show the reader that even though you were a salesman or insurance producer you still used and even improved your tech skills in those positions.
    One thing I notice about your resume is that you are applying for an "IT" job but under your core competencies you have ,"Proficient in Microsoft programs such as Word, Power Point, Excel, and Access"...... These are not really IT skills. Try listing some actual IT skills such as "imaging and deployment of systems, active directory management, patch management", I realize you may not have those skills but those are just examples of some IT related skills. Also your resume looks a bit messy and disorganized to me, but that's just me. I realize there are infinity +1 ways to write and organize a resume but here's how mine is laid out with some info redacted. ***NOTE*** The formatting, isn't exaclt the same due to copy and paste but this should give a basic idea. ****

Computer Skills/Software

Ethical Hacking Enterprise Security Penetration Testing w/Kali Linux
    Windows Administration Vulnerability Assessment Risk Management Framework
    Python SQL Web Application Testing
    Nessus Metasploit BurpSuite
    Wireshark OSSTMM OWASP Top Ten

Education

Bachelor’s Degree: Technology – Information Technology Concentration - May 2014
    Vincennes University, Vincennes, Indiana

Certifications
    CompTIA Security+ CompTIA CASP MTA: Server Administration
    CompTIA Cyber Security Analyst+ OSCP Certified Ethical Hacker

Work Experience
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I redid you resume a bit here.

Please add more info
    I see you're currently doing computer, can you expand on this?

Look for where I put please add more info....

Wilson Fire Equipment – IT Help Desk/Estimator 2007-2009 (did you use a ticketing system??) if so add it

John Doe
    meme@gmail.com
    999-999-9999

Summary of Qualifications:
    IT student experienced building relationships and helping customers. Able to troubleshoot…. … addstuff here

EDUCATION:

Bachelor of Science- Information Systems, Houston Community College – Houston, Texas Summer 2018 (Expected)

Associates of Arts, Lone Star College – Houston, Texas 2016

CERTIFICATIONS:

MTA: Security Fundamentals Certification - 2017

EXPERIENCE

Computer Repair Services (2014-Present)
    What task do you do here?
    Please add more info!!

Oakley Inc. - Sales Associate 2011-2014
    • Engaged in cross/relationship selling, product marketing, and promotion techniques/campaigns.
    · Provide peer feedback and coaching to Sales associates to improve business results and customer experience.
    • Assisted coworkers with complex transactions, problem resolution, and on-the-job training.
    • Provided information, handled the more complex customer inquiries, and successfully resolved conflicts.

Wilson Fire Equipment – IT Help Desk/Estimator 2007-2009 (did you use a ticketing system??) if so add it
    • Provided technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware
    • Resolved technical problems with Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, and other systems
    • Installed, modified, and repaired computer hardware and software.
    • Constructed fire alarm systems, nurse call system, intercom systems, CATV systems, and security camera systems for commercial businesses.

Farmers Insurance - Insurance Producer 2006-2007
    • Generated and Processed payments from policyholders.
    • Responded accurately and efficiently to policyholder’s inquiries and concerns.
    • Marketed the agency and generated customer interest by going out into the community and interacting with local commercial businesses and through contacts.

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
    Volunteered at Lone Star Cy-fair Computer lab as lab tech (2013-16).
    What did you do here?
    Please add more info!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's your timetable for moving ? A lot of companies don't want to invest time in training if that person is just going to pick up and leave 6mo down the road?
    Thanks everyone for advice on my resume, I will definitely rework it and see if that helps any. NetworkingStudent I really appreciate you taking the time to redo my resume, I will fill in that information that you recommended. Now that you brought those to my attention I can see why employers might be passing on my resume.