Options

Service Desk to Desktop Support

BigRedJapanBigRedJapan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I've been working on Service Desk for just over a year now and have been offered a position in Desktop Support within the company i work for.

There will be no pay increase however, do you guys think this is a good career move?

My career goal is to move into a Wintel role eventually.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    it certainly is a step in the right direction

over time make sure they give you a chance so you could do some network/system administration work.

Also ask for a salary increase after 6 to 12 months since you did not recieve one as of yet.

but make sure you could back up as to why they should pay you more money.
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd say yes if you support company specific software applications on the helpdesk, as that won't transfer to a new job necessarily, but setting up and deplying new PC's will give you a good dose of server experience joining them to the domain and setting up outlook.

I had this same situation at my old company toward the end of my stint there, then I had a VOIP / network role at another company fall in my lap, that was a refreshing change in my professional growth.

I would say go for it!
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Yes great move! If your not moving forward, your going backwards. Surprised there is no pay increase as there is usually a talent gap between Level 1 and 2. My first IT job I was hired straight into Level 2 because I was able to prove my IT knowledge during the interview and they felt I would be more productive on level 2.

You should learn a lot on desktop support, especially if supporting a large Windows environment, I got interested in the VOIP while on desktop, so the engineers would sometimes train me on simple things to get it off their plate. Hopefully you'll have some older guys and will actually want to teach you.

Good Luck
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All the very best and I am sure moving to Desktop Support would teach you a lot. Always ask question your self when you are troubleshooting and I am sure with the questioning and trying to get the answers will itself teach you a lot and guide to the direction you are heading faster and sooner.

I was in the same position couple of years back and the quest to learn and know new things moved me up the ladder faster and expected.
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    Hey All,

I've been working on Service Desk for just over a year now and have been offered a position in Desktop Support within the company i work for.

There will be no pay increase however, do you guys think this is a good career move?

My career goal is to move into a Wintel role eventually.

Thanks.
    you from japan bro?
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    you from japan bro?
    I'm not:O
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm taking the Desktop position hopefully it should be good.
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    you from japan bro?

I lived in Hiroshima, Japan. Amazing country. :)
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm taking the Desktop position hopefully it should be good.

All the very best in your new role.