What pairs best with CCNP?

ThexzenoThexzeno Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

So i finished my CCNP about 6 months ago and since then have been wondering what cert to go after next? for right now I'm going to hold off on getting the CCIE because I don't have as much experience as in networking as i would like to have. TBH I am more of a paper CCNP but an experienced CCNA after a few years of SMB network administration.

Security is the hot field right now and I hear that virtualization is tapering off but I would like some guidance on what cert combo would really make employers say "damn" this guy might be good. I've been working on my programming chops as well getting to know python. But what cert was most satisfying or gave you the most applicable knowledge in real world scenarios?

Comments

• pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Im not at your level yet but I posted a similar post in regards to pairing something with the CCNA R&S, and aside from CCNA security someone on here suggested the VMware network virtualisation professional.

If you have a CCNA as you do you can jump straight into the professional level cert.
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What pairs best? Well what do you work with on a daily basis? You're on the right track with learning python I am seeing it come up more often in job requirements. In fact I would not be surprised once you get competent enough with python even with little networking experience you would get picked up just for those python skills.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first reaction to the title was that it probably pairs well with a nice imported beer. How about getting the VCP6-NV? It marries, to a degree, virtualization and networking. Plus, you only need to show them your CCNA in order to sit for the exam, instead of having to take a class.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    My first reaction to the title was that it probably pairs well with a nice imported beer. .

LMAO! My first thought was a cold beer when I read the title so I checked the post to see if that was the first reply lol.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It really depends on the role. Having MS certs with your CCNP then working in a linux environment probably won't help much.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can branch out into other NP-level Cisco certs, which will also renew your existing cert. You can also do another vendor's networking cert, such as Juniper, if that fits what you're doing.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    How about getting the VCP6-NV? It marries, to a degree, virtualization and networking. Plus, you only need to show them your CCNA in order to sit for the exam, instead of having to take a class.

This is probably a good idea.

If security is your thing, you could look into CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, CEH, OSCP.

Good call on holding off on the CCIE. I recommend not going after that until you have an employer who will pay for it. Don't do that one out of your own pocket.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VMware Certified Professional 6 – Network Virtualization Exam

Note: this exam was retired on 30 April 2017.

https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64297&ui=www_cert

?????
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□

?????
    Dang it! Didn't see that!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

?????

Still good advice. Just take the next version.
    Still good advice. Just take the next version.

That's what I initially thought, but I couldn't find one. That's why I posted what I did. Maybe I'm missing it.

Edit:
    I've looked again, and all I see for VCP7 is VCP7-DTM and VCP7-CMA. The VCP7-DMT is new, I guess? Since the Beta exam for it was in October. I don't know. Someone with more of a background in Virtualization can probably be more thorough here.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A fat pay check?! ;)

Seriously, gratz on the nice cert!
    Thank you! New to virtualization and never thought to look for a 6 point something icon_rolleyes.gif I kept looking for a 7 lulz. Glad it exists. I'm interested in it also.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for the fat paycheck! :D
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...