Options

How do you know a job move is right for you?

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
How do you know a job move is right for you?

Current job:
Been a contractor for 5 years, overall the environment is very relaxed and low stress. 15 minute commute. I'm fine with the pay (could always use more) and I'm sure I'll continue to get increases from time to time. There is always stuff and time to learn. Management is always thanking me for the work I do. The only thing I'm really missing is some form of 401k match and feeling like an actual employee.

Potential job:
Employee with the company, the environment is under construction so I'd be able to help design everything from the ground up. 45 minute commute. Uncertain of all the current and future job responsibilities. I'd get to work with a friend I used to work with. The team is small but will grow over the next two years. Sounds like everyone on the team knows their stuff. If my friend didn't work there I wouldn't even be considering this job. Since I work really well with my friend and building an environment from the ground up sounds awesome, I need to give this some serious thought. Great benefits. Average employee with the company has been there 10+ years.
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Salary? How much more?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I'm bored and I run out of work that I can create for myself. If I'm at a job and I've done all that I could and I cant move up or learn something new then its time to start looking.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go with your gut.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Average employee with the company has been there 10+ years.

I'm only going to give feedback on this, because it stands out to me. I, above all else, like stability, which is why I chose my previous employer over a school district. At the local site, the average worker had been there for 20 years (manufacturing plant). My layoff was the first (IT Outsourcing). The old-timers are retiring left and right, and the company is looking to cut back more and more as time goes on.

My advice is to look at everything else, because these days, everyone is expendable. Yes, I'm jaded, but it's happened to me twice so far, as well as to some friends of mine.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    I'm not sure on the salary yet, I have a interview next week with some of the internal customers the team supports. It sounds like the company is very thorough in their hiring process.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me the decision is simple. If it pays ~15% or higher more it is a better job (yeah, I'm that bad for monies). This is true in 98% of cases. Commutes, relocations, dumb boss and everything else don't matter. A job in Alaska pays more? I'm there, rest assured.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally I would always take a Full Time job over that of a contractor position. I feel they are more secure positions, when times get tough, nine times out of ten it's the contractors that get cut first. I recall when layoffs were occurring at the FAA in 2013, some people came to work and were told that day, we don't need you anymore, clean out your desk and leave, no notice at all. And many of these people held the same contracting position for ten plus years. Also contractors in many companies get less respect than a full time employee. I remember back when I used to work as a contractor for the FAA, when a contractor would request something from a Federal employee, they would sometimes just ignore them. I heard it on several occasions, he's just a contractor, he can't tell me what to do.

I'm sure some would say if they get laid off as a contractor, they would just go out and get another contracting gig, but usually when companies are laying off staff, it's because the economy isn't doing well, which in turn means far fewer contracting gigs available.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally I move on when I'm not learning anymore and sense a company direction I don't want to be a part of anymore. I always keep my options open as well because job stability like all things in life is temporary. I try to stay above the curve but my motivations are pay, responsibility, title, and overall culture/benefits. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    It has to pay more. Commuting is 40 minutes longer? Imagine in bad weather or car accidents. Although the issue is that you are a contractor.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It would have to be a pretty damn good friend for me to have to drive an hour more everyday and leave a good job just to work with.
  • Options
    I rent so I could potentially move. I also keep thinking about the 401k, employer contributes 8% fully vested after three years.

Then I keep hearing about all the interesting upcoming projects at my current job.

I guess I just need to wait for an offer.
    A+, Network+, CCNA