Options

CCENT tomorrow...

PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am taking the CCENT tomorrow, I was really ready a couple weeks ago but the testing center near me didn't have any openings until May 9th. I feel disconnected from the material and I have a suspicion I will either pass by 2 points for fail by 2 points, woohoo!
Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.

Comments

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck! ............. Let us know
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck! Always keep the foot on the pedal until your exam date!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck

Ride or Die as they say ;)
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    860 with a required 832. I was really comfortable with the material. I think I had less questions than the 54 it said. Feels good for sure! Thanks for all the well wishes!
  • Options
    Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sent you a PM
    Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great job on the pass! When is the ICND2?
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Thanks, JoJo!
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Great job on the pass! When is the ICND2?

Thanks! I have no current plans for the ICND2. I really enjoy networking and it has been fun studying for the CCENT but I am actually starting the new WGU BS: Cybersecurity Information Assurance program in June. I've been doing some planning and thinking and as it stands now I more interested in the security side of things. But I could be eating my words in a couple months and start studying for the CCNA. I will be doing the CCNA CyberOps scholarship January - March 2018.
  • Options
    Well in that case, have fun with the new degree program! I would put everything else on hold and focus on WGU. If you can pass the degree faster, you could save money on tuition.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • Options
    How I prepared:

Quick background, when I took the Network+ the only thing I did to prepare was read the Lammle Network+ book cover to cover and I did his labs and questions over and over again.

With the CCENT I wanted to test my learning style to find what is best for me after all this is just the beginning of my certification studies and the better I know how I learn the more I can learn.

I watched the itpro.tv videos and took notes. I then did the labs they provided through practice-labs.net. After that, I watched the Accelerated CCENT(also from itpro.tv) with Todd Lammle as the host. Todd Lammle is great at really giving you the straight talk of what is going to be on the exam. I did some more labbing, some with the practice-labs.net and some with packet tracer. I forgot that I had gotten the Pearson Simulator for the CCENT/CCNA V2 as a gift so once I found it I installed it and labbed my weak areas with Wendell Odoms labs. I actually liked the Pearson labs because you had to search through configurations to answer questions and it made me feel more comfortable with the configuration side of things.

I have a subscription to safari books online through my employer and it is the best. I read Lammles CCENT chapters in areas I wasn't comfortable with and I did all his labs which are nice for hands-on experience and mostly work in packet tracer.

I have been doing some soul searching on what career is right for me so it took me from December to now of not the most focused studying to pass. I could have passed in March but you know life happens. I got the opportunity to try a different testing center which was an hour drive instead of a 45-minute drive, but it is worth the extra 15 minutes it is really really nice!

If you have any questions holler, obviously I take the NDA very seriously but I will try to help as best I can. The new Network+ was more difficult but set me up to be so comfortable while taking this test FWIW.
  • Options
    DR14DR14 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed it as well.

Congrats to you!
  • Options
    Thanks, congrats to you too!
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Had a feeling you would pass............ congrats! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Had a feeling you would pass............ congrats! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    KhayriKhayri Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

I just passed my Sec + exam on Saturday and I am now looking to get some actual networking skills under my belt. So Ive decided on the CCENT as a foundation to further my new career in security. I currently have access to CBT Nuggets. Do you have any advice you can share? I'm more of a hands on learner, but I used Darril Gibsons book and premium website to help me pass the Sec + exam.

Thanks
    Certifications - CompTIA A +, CompTIA Security +
  • Options
    pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    pearljam wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks!
    Khayri wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

I just passed my Sec + exam on Saturday and I am now looking to get some actual networking skills under my belt. So Ive decided on the CCENT as a foundation to further my new career in security. I currently have access to CBT Nuggets. Do you have any advice you can share? I'm more of a hands on learner, but I used Darril Gibsons book and premium website to help me pass the Sec + exam.

Thanks

I would say lab a lot if you are a hands on learner.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also used Wendell Odoms Live Lesson on prepping for the CCENT (CCENT ICND1 100-105 Exam Prep LiveLessons | Pearson IT Certification) it is included in Safari Books Online and it helped me pick up extra points and clarify some sticky things for me. I didn't get to his test questions part but I am sure it is through as all of his stuff is.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks.

Will some of these online tools or websites that you used allow me to do the lab work if I don't have any equipment at home? Or do I actually have to go out and purchase equipment?

Thanks
  • Options
    Khayri wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks.

Will some of these online tools or websites that you used allow me to do the lab work if I don't have any equipment at home? Or do I actually have to go out and purchase equipment?

Thanks

ITpro.tv will get you access to real equipment but you need to have a paid premium membership. Packet Tracer from Cisco is free and will let you run some of the commands, but honestly it was too limited for me to really dig in. But Packet Tracer will allow you to run most of the commands you need to navigate the exam. Some people buy equipment and some people use GNS3 or VIRL. You should research these options to decide what is best for you. If you are going all the way to CCNP I would for sure buy equipment. If you are just getting your CCNA I know a lot of people swear by GNS3, but you have to get your hands on IOS images which means you need to own Cisco equipment or have a Smart Net agreement FWIW. Had I built a lab I would have followed these suggestions: https://blog.cbtnuggets.com/2015/02/ccna-home-labs-revisited/
  • Options
    Additionally, you can use GNS3 AND live Cisco gear if you watch Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets videos covering GNS3. In there he talks about connecting the GNS3 switches to real Cisco switches via ISL. I don't have live Cisco gear, so I haven't tried it, but he demonstrates it all.
  • Options
    lamdavlamdav Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long did it take you to prepare? Did you use simulators or real equipment to practice?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I plan on going the security route so I'm not sure I need the full CCNA. I just want to get a network cert and then go back for a more advanced security cert.

I'm now trying to find best ccent book to study and use my cbt nuggets subscription as well.
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    udemy.com has a lot of courses for ccna and some of them are free. I am taking two from Laz Diaz and one from Chris Bryant.