Manager Leaving: Possible Promotion and Raise

2»

Comments

• f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I can have both integrity and still provide for my family, the two do not have to be mutually exclusive. Keep in mind I am going to get advice from people who know me and know my situation much better then anyone on TE. I am guessing I will be told to leave my job, which I will be more than happy to do.

I did not get played, someone who started less than a month ago is getting laid off, and one month ago our company was actually doing better after a down turn. So for those saying HR knew a layoff was going to happen 3 months ago is wrong.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    f16jetman wrote: »
    I can have both integrity and still provide for my family, the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

They definitely don't, this just appears to be one of those situations where they are. But that is just off the information we are provided. Which is just a small window.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I did not get played, someone who started less than a month ago is getting laid off, and one month ago our company was actually doing better after a down turn. So for those saying HR knew a layoff was going to happen 3 months ago is wrong.

Companies need a lot of time to plan layoffs - I've been through them in numerous companies on both sides of the desk and it has been my experience that it is the long term trends that result in something as expensive as lay offs, not a one month decision. The costs are eye watering and the reputational damage can be harsh so they won't do it without good research and a lot of prep.

So much of the process is done in secret meetings to work out who to cut, the impact on the business of the cuts and where restructuring can be performed, and if the staff get wind of it before it is formulated it can lead to strikes, walk outs and all sorts of things to mess their carefully crafted plans up.

You only see what you are allowed to see - even your boss was in the dark.

There are a lot of experienced people offering some insight here but you are right to seek your own counsil and make a decision with input from those you trust. I hope the advice here can be input into the discussion with them and you reach the right decision for you and your family.
    UncleB wrote: »
    Companies need a lot of time to plan layoffs - I've been through them in numerous companies on both sides of the desk and it has been my experience that it is the long term trends that result in something as expensive as lay offs, not a one month decision. The costs are eye watering and the reputational damage can be harsh so they won't do it without good research and a lot of prep.

So much of the process is done in secret meetings to work out who to cut, the impact on the business of the cuts and where restructuring can be performed, and if the staff get wind of it before it is formulated it can lead to strikes, walk outs and all sorts of things to mess their carefully crafted plans up.

You only see what you are allowed to see - even your boss was in the dark.

There are a lot of experienced people offering some insight here but you are right to seek your own counsil and make a decision with input from those you trust. I hope the advice here can be input into the discussion with them and you reach the right decision for you and your family.

Yes, I do appreciate getting advice from people who have experienced this kind of thing. I have only been laid off once so I am no expert in the matter. I wish they would not hire people with the intent to lay them off. Dishonest of them to do so. I am already looking at job options and I am going to beef up my resume.
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Call me young and naive. I had been unemployed for six weeks when I had the interview. When the HR director asked about my short tenure at some jobs she asked me if I would be willing to work there for at least a year, because they didn't want to hire someone who would be gone in a few weeks or months. I did what I had to do. I have a stay at home wife and young son, making me the sole bread winner.

And yes, if it came down to it my integrity would be worth being laid off or unemployed.

I agree with the sentiment, but in my mind, they broke THEIR side of the agreement that you would stay for a year, when they decided to lay you off 3 months later. They are the ones who broke trust.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am one of the most loyal and dedicated people you will find (to a fault) but when it comes to what is best for me, well, I have to look out for myself and my family. I have been taken advantage of too many times by my employers. I lost my last job because the owner wanted me to go back to school for an accounting degree and I refused. I knew it was coming but being the loyal employee I didn't want to walk away. They ended up terminating my employment because of it. My loyalty earned me a few months of unemployment and several nights with no sleep trying to figure out my next move.

Bottom line, they will do what is best for them 100% of the time. Don't become a casualty.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup, put your family first. The vast majority of companies value their bottom line over employees.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
    Well, I go saying goodbye to my job here. I will search for a new position and try to use any down time to earn my Linux+ and AWS.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I go saying goodbye to my job here. I will search for a new position and try to use any down time to earn my Linux+ and AWS.

So, you just got laid off after discussing they were going to keep you?!
    No, I did not get laid off. I realize my post reads that way, but I was rushed when I wrote it. I was advised to seek other employment and I am actively doing so. In the meantime with my free time at work I will learn Linux and AWS as best as I can.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No, I did not get laid off. I realize my post reads that way, but I was rushed when I wrote it. I was advised to seek other employment and I am actively doing so. In the meantime with my free time at work I will learn Linux and AWS as best as I can.
    'Advised' by upper management?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He is advised by all of us to leave..
    Advised by my Pastor, dad, my manager who put in his two weeks and everyone at TE haha!
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    'Advised' by upper management?
    I believe by his pastor.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Ummm NO you're not breaking your integrity; here is why

When you made that promise of not leaving, they asked to make it with the implied guarantee that they will not make you redundant before that.

They have ALREADY broken that promise but putting your name on the redundancy list, so you're clear now. They were cool with letting you go before a year passes mate, so your word didn't mean much to them.

Get a better job with a better employer, ASAP.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Ummm NO you're not breaking your integrity; here is why

When you made that promise of not leaving, they asked to make it with the implied guarantee that they will not make you redundant before that.

They have ALREADY broken that promise but putting your name on the redundancy list, so you're clear now. They were cool with letting you go before a year passes mate, so your word didn't mean much to them.

Get a better job with a better employer, ASAP.

This pretty much nails it. Looks like you are already looking though which is good.
    I had a recruiter reach out to me. I am trying to schedule an interview. This job would come with a Secret or Top Secret clearance, which would be very beneficial. The ball is already rolling to leave this place!
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,070 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice!

if things work out... you might have to send your employer a thank you card :]