Options

Just applied to WGU, what program is right for me?

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am graduating New Horizons bootcamp for Computer support and networking tech. I also have some python, visual basic and HTML exposure. I took a semester in college a few years ago and took programming in highschool (long time ago). I have been building gaming PCs for years and I play around and hobby in Kali Linux for fun and I had a desktop support role in the military. My goal is to enter into cyber security however I have been reading that networking experience is great for cyber security so here is what I am wondering.

Should I take the cyber security BS or the IT BS with security emphasis?

https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/cybersecurity_information_assurance_bachelor_degree

https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_technology_degree_security

Those are links to the program overview.

I just want to get advice from professionals who know the hell they are doing. In the meantime while taking these classes I will be pursuing a help desk position. I have an interview for one tomorrow. If I can handle it I will work on my Cisco and Server competencies during any free time if possible. I also plan on retaking my Network+ exam in a month or so.

Thanks ahead of time everyone.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Just my opinion, but I think any degree with 'cyber' in the title is just too buzzwordy and won't be taken seriously in the job market.
  • Options
    It is buzzwordy however they do get more into the legal aspect of the job and the IT path gets way more into actual infrastructure.

How much time does a security expert spend designing networks?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you scrolled down and looked at the PDF Program Guide for each? Right off the bat you see that the B.S Cybersecurity and Information Assurance just gives you a lot more security-based information in terms of classes; whereas, the other degree is just broad-based generic IT with a small amount of security thrown in.

I'm sure others will chime in here but if it were me, and I wanted to go into Cyber Security there would be no doubt in my mind that I would go with the BSCSIA instead of the BSITSECU.
  • Options
    That's what I thinking.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was just spending a ton of time typing stuff, and decided to refresh the screen first. Montague said exactly what I was going to say.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Perfect thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many years have you been providing desktop support for the military? I think, despite the buzzwordiness of the program, that if you can qualify for the SSCP and CCSP it will be a good program to be in. Here is what I would add to the list of certifications that they provide:

MCSA: Linux on Azure: it requires you to get not only a Microsoft certification but also a hands-on, CLI-only type of Linux certification (LFCS). A lot of cyber jobs are looking for Linux skills and this will validate that. Not to mention, it goes hand-in-hand with the CCSP.

CCNA: R&S: this certification will give you a great understanding of networking. While your present role may not include much switch or router work, your resume will stand out more if you have this. Think of it as a value-add.

CCNA: Security or Cyber Ops: either, or both, of these will expand your knowledge base considerably. The Security version will look more indepth at how to secure Cisco networks. The Cyber Ops may not be much of an overall value-add as it is still new and covers a lot of what will be provided through Network+, Security+, LFCS (the Linux certification required for the MCSA mentioned above), and the SSCP. At this point, I would put as a third-tier pursuit until it gets added to 8140/8570 or catches on in the overall marketplace.

I would also read through this thread for a strategy to move yourself forward quickly before you start WGU. Given that CLEPs and DSSTs are free to active duty military, it will help you bypass a lot of the more mundane required courses and let you focus more on the interesting technical certification courses.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    You're asking an online forums to decide what degree is better for you?
    =\

Go over the classes, prospect jobs, research, etc. And decide which one sounds better for you and for what you want in the future.
    If you just want a short cut to cash, learn to code a couple languages and focus on software engineering.
    meh
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »

I would also read through this thread for a strategy to move yourself forward quickly before you start WGU. Given that CLEPs and DSSTs are free to active duty military, it will help you bypass a lot of the more mundane required courses and let you focus more on the interesting technical certification courses.

Cheers

Much appreciated for the call out Stryder!

I was weighing both, but decided to go IT Security for two reasons. Over 20 years, my career has followed a wandering course. I think the IT Security degree strikes a solid balance between generic (regular IT degree) and specific (IT:CSIA) degree. That was more important to me. Secondly, the CSIA is a brand new degree plan that starts 6/1. It hasn't been taken, and nobody has experience with it. My focus is on getting the degree right now. Not sure I want to be the guinea pig.

In the end, I can leverage the IT Security degree into the cyber world with real world experience. I don't know that the CSIA has the same scope of application. That is just me, given my position and experience. Either way, keep us posted!
  • Options
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    You're asking an online forums to decide what degree is better for you?
    =\

Go over the classes, prospect jobs, research, etc. And decide which one sounds better for you and for what you want in the future.
    If you just want a short cut to cash, learn to code a couple languages and focus on software engineering.

I am asking more qualified individuals of their experience and what may be more applicable in the field.
  • Options
    So you are saying that a degree in IT might open up more opportunities??

How hand in hand is the security field with IT infrastructure/ engineering??

What has a wider range of opportunity?

What has a higher salary cap?