tcp utils questions

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
How in detail are the questions on the tests? Do i need to know all the command line switches for arp/netstat/nbstat/ping, or are more of the questions on how and when to use them?

Would i be ok with just the switches in the technotes here, or do i need to know more detail on them? I can only cram so much more information into my head before my exam tomorrow morning.

Comments

• OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Knowing all the switches would help but you will do fine without them. Net+ is not a hard exam. Know the more common switches since they will appear on the exam.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Knowing all the switches would help but you will do fine without them. Net+ is not a hard exam. Know the more common switches since they will appear on the exam.

Here's a gotcha that most people often look over. Make sure you know what the output from those commands look like also. In other words, don't just know what tracert does, know what the resultant output is, and be able to identify it in a "line up" with others.

Good luck.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Being able to recognize the output of these utilities is actually an explicitly mentioned exam objectives:

"4.2 Given output from a network diagnostic utility (For example: those utilities listed in objective 4.1), identify the utility and interpret the output."

Hence the screen shots in the TechNotes:
    www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpiputils.shtml
    which btw will be updated today to include dig, traceroute, and ifconfig.

Regardless, the best way to learn about these utilities, and memorize the options and parameters, is to actually use them.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Pay close attention to detail on this as well... There are some commands where there is a difference between lower case and upcase switches.
    I would have to say that there is a really good chance that you will see question on the exam that require you to know the switches and what the results of their output looks like.
  • gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    One switch I learned studying for Network+ exam was:
    ipconfig /flushdns.
    And I got a questiong regarding that command. So knowing what the switch does will help you.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input.

I did the exam today and I don't think i got any command line switch questions. Pthub, there goes 3 hours of last night reading them over and over again.

I would have to agree recognizing the output of these utilities and when to use them is much more important in real life and for the exam.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I'm surprised you didnt get any question regarding command line switches.
    Anyway, don't look at it as wasted study time, look at it as being better prepared for whatever they could send your way...