vSwitch not routing within same subnet

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a lab set up, and ESXi is on the physical machine. I'm connecting with vSphere, and when I set up the VMs, the VMs are unable to talk to each other. They can all ping ESXi, but no other VMs receive a response.

The VMs are in the same subnet, and everything that I'm seeing says that the VMs should be able to talk to each other by default since they are in the same subnet (both in the OS and on the vSwitch).

Any ideas on what to try troubleshooting?

Comments

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Is this just a single host, not nested? Are they using the VM Network port group? Is Windows Firewall turned off?
    Are all machines using same vSwitch?
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a single host, not nested. They are in the default VM Network port group, and I've tried making a new port group as well, same result. Windows Firewall is off, and CentOS is having the same issue. All machines are on the same vSwitch.

I think I'm going to try reinstalling ESXi today.... I really hope it's just an issue with the install (I know the image is good, as I've used this exact disc to install ESXi on other systems). It's the only thing I can think of at this point.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look at the Nic Teaming settings for the portgroup in that vswitch and make sure that you have a functioning physical nic set as an active adapter.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help y'all, reinstalling ESXi seems to have done the trick. Gotta love the little things.........