Options

Systems Analyst > Help Desk ?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can someone tell me if this is an ideal position for me to further my career into the security realm?
(I don't know where my finish line is as I transitioned from a criminal justice/business background)

Yet, it seems that a system analyst is like a help desk, which I currently do. I'm only 4 months in...job has to be ideal fore me to leave before my 6 month mark. Yet, this looks similar to their help desk position. Can can someone elaborate what YOU do as a system analyst.

Straight from their job description.
Maintains, upgrades, modifies, enhances, customizes and supports the company’s core operating system and all other business critical and ancillary systems. Troubleshoots end user problems. Provides application and data integrity problem resolution. Translates business requirements into programs, reports, and functions that facilitate the company’s core mission while looking for opportunities to improve member’s experience.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Can can someone elaborate what YOU do as a system analyst.

Titles mean close to nothing. 100 people with the title of System Analyst could tell you what they do but your job could be different than everyone of them.

A lot could depend on the size of the company. My previous title was Systems Analyst and I was pretty much the whole IT department for a small company. Managing user access, troubleshooting daily problems, ordering and provisioning equipment, making sure nothing caught on fire....
  • Options
    js586850js586850 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went from a help desk role to systems analyst within the same company. Granted like NetworkNewb said titles can be misleading... I was basically a SharePoint Admin except there were other systems I needed to manage. I would generally say its a step up though, again it will depend on the company. After I left the helpdesk I had some downtime in my new role to study and learn sql, powershell, etc.
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my experience Systems Analysts are generally programmers who also do business analysis.
    Basically working as the middle man between corporate needs and COTS.