Options

Would you stay at your job for a SANs cert?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
My job agreed to pay for my GCIH after I pass the CEH. They said they're going to draw up a contract with stipulations since the course the $6k. I understand that they wouldn't want me to leave right after I take the course. I feel like the contract is basically gonna say I have to stay there at least a year after the class or I'll have to pay the cost of the class back.

My question for you guys is if that was the situation, would you be okay with staying at your company for a year after you took the class?

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are you looking to leave?

I'd probably do it. If I decided to leave before the year is up, I'd hope my bump in pay will be more than 6k :)
  • Options
    No I'm not. And I should be getting a $10K raise in a few months
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you could always t.r.o.l.l them by turning down the contract.
    Instead, inform them that you will be paying for the training out-of-pocket.

I'm sure that would go over well.
    ;]
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting 5250 a year tuition reimbursement, with a year commitment for each year they pay... so would be an extra year after I finish my degree... thats pretty typical for companies. I dont see an issue with it
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well... it depends.

If the environment was all good and I trusted management to not play games then yes but I would for sure see if that they could use anytime that I've already put in towards the time that they're asking for. I think that if someone is staying a year or more should be able to do that.

Plus would make sure that they understood that if someone in the family was sick, or I was sick and had to go out of state for something then I shouldn't be held responsible.

My last job did this, they were hiring people to be licensed insurance agents and the deal was to be there for a year and within that year if the person quit or was fired, they would have to pay the company back.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very normal for companies to do that.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the GCIH? Probably not. For GCFA or GREM? I'd be all about it. But I'd definitely keep that six grand sitting in my bank account the whole time, just in case.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jcundiff wrote: »
    I'm getting 5250 a year tuition reimbursement, with a year commitment for each year they pay... so would be an extra year after I finish my degree... thats pretty typical for companies. I dont see an issue with it
    Same here. I try to push for the company to pay for any training directly before I dip into that though. I'm OK where I am for now but I like to keep my options open too.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Same here. I try to push for the company to pay for any training directly before I dip into that though. I'm OK where I am for now but I like to keep my options open too.

With my current company, EA is separate from training budget... EA is at the corporate level, training is the CSO's budget, so much per head... I am doing a small FireEye iSight event in June and then Blackhat w/training this year. Our training $$ do not have to be paid back, just EA
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It's a great offer...you get the training, the cert, and an extra year of experience...you can leave after that. spend the first 4 months getting GCIH, and then maybe CISSP or whatever your goals are

Winning either way
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The whole year thing really doesn't mean anything. Frankly if you do the training and find another job that will pay a signing bonus or makes up for the cost...who cares.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd do it. But, I'm planning on staying with this company for quite a while. So, it would make sense. It sounds like they are willing to invest in you, so it might be a nice place to stay. The invest in you, you provide them with more and more work, you get more responsibilities and experience, move on up... It's much better than some that stay at the bottom and never move forward. I'd definitely go for it!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'll go for it. Looking forward to GCIH.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't stay with an employer only for a certification if I planned on leaving. I stay with a company if I'm happy there - certs are irrelevant.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jcundiff wrote: »
    With my current company, EA is separate from training budget... EA is at the corporate level, training is the CSO's budget, so much per head... I am doing a small FireEye iSight event in June and then Blackhat w/training this year. Our training $$ do not have to be paid back, just EA
    Right, same with mine. That's why I'd rather push them to pay for something out of training budget, which doesn't really cost me anything and I have no obligations. If they won't and I really want it, then I can use tuition reimbursement for work related training and courses but that's my backup plan. We also only get paid back 80% up to 5250/year. So if I want to do a $5000 course though tuition reimbursement I have to pay for it up front then I really only get 4000 back after passing.
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What happens in these situations if the company decides to fire/lay you off before the year is up? Are you still on the hook for 6k? Because if that's the case, they hold all the cards.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would think that the employee is not responsible. If he/she was laid off it makes easier. Normally the company will keep the employee hoping they will apply the skillset(s) learned.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you like it there and plan on staying, why not. If you have any doubts, then probably not.

If security is your domain I would do it, IF I liked it there.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you made the request, then yeah a contract is understandable. If they are wanting to fill a skills gap for needs of the business, then no they should take the risk and provide the training without having you sign anything.

See if the contract includes anything about the amount to be paid back being pro-rated each month. That would be reasonable for both sides.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What happens in these situations if the company decides to fire/lay you off before the year is up? Are you still on the hook for 6k? Because if that's the case, they hold all the cards.
    Usually how they work is if the termination is due to lay-off or something unforeseen in the company then the employee DOES NOT have to repay. If the employee is fired or quits before the timeframe, then the employee has to repay.