Options

CCENT - Passed (Past failed)

Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
Update:

I failed the CCENT roughly a month or so ago. I barely missed it. Well, I got frustrated (ego took a little hit when I think in retrospect) and decided to retake it 10 days after. I brushed up on my material, labbed the crap out of the material and went in, hard charging. I screwed up again, but that time worse. I finished the exam in like 30 minutes, but where I screwed up really bad was I skipped an entire lab on accident. I clicked next after reading the instructions. Oh boy, I felt my stomach sink. I realized how poorly I was treating the exam.

Anyway, I went back and I started from square one. I realized I was getting reckless and I needed to back-off and start over. Today, subnetting is practically second nature (from a CCENT level). I can pretty much do it in my head. I have all the AD's memorized, what is and isn't a linkstate routing protocol. NAT, NTP, ACLs, Priv, Global - the outputs of the CCENT level syntax.

I had my test yesterday, and I can say with pride, I passed. This time, I hit it differently. I spoke with a CCIE and he told me to remember that cisco is a marathon, not a sprint. Best advice ever. I took the exam slowly this time. I breathed. I read every question twice. I asked myself why the answer was right and why the others were not. I think I made a 896.

I will be honest. I was a network admin when I was deployed overseas. I only have about 1.5 years of actual networking experience, but I was only given the bare minimum training (im talking a couple weeks and the rest OJT) and then I was handed 3 networks (Unclass, Joint, and Secret) to manage - for the most part, by myself. 90% of the time when a host would go down, I'd reset the entire switch and pray while ******* off the rest of the users connected to the switch. Then the CO would come in calling me a wizard. I really didn't know - aside from running cables and resetting the switch and the router - wtf I was doing. I also setup a private network on my own with the help of google and the afghan ISP for the team to use for rec purposes.

Anyway, this cisco career path is going to be a steep climb but I think I may have figured out the method. Slow and steady, and treat the exam with respect.

My resources were

CBTNUGGETS (not enough on its own)
CCNA Lammle
&
Boson practice exams
Home Lab (2- 2950's, 3 1841's)
Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!

Comments

• Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Congrats. Good job keeping up with it!
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice work, Moldygr33nb3an! It took me three times, too.

Are you planning on taking the ICND2 exam next? I'm studying for the CWTS and Mobility+ now (both are entry-level wireless and differ from one another a little in focus), and plan on taking the ICND2 probably in August.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    but where I screwed up really bad was I skipped an entire lab on accident.
    Ouch! Yeah, I almost did that myself when I took- it's easy to do. And since Cisco doesn't let you go back to review any previous questions it can be scary. Congrats on the CCENT BTW, that test was a doozy for me. I think I had minutes left when I finished lol.
  • Options
    xagreus wrote: »
    Nice work, Moldygr33nb3an! It took me three times, too.

Are you planning on taking the ICND2 exam next? I'm studying for the CWTS and Mobility+ now (both are entry-level wireless and differ from one another a little in focus), and plan on taking the ICND2 probably in August.

Thanks and maybe. I was thinking CCNA Security, but I'm not sure. I really want to learn about ASA devices.

I just want to get a CCNA level understanding before going for the OSCP. If I get a networking job soon, I'll head directly into CCNP after CCNA, otherwise, I'm going to hit the OSCP. Still a very long road ahead of me.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    Ouch! Yeah, I almost did that myself when I took- it's easy to do. And since Cisco doesn't let you go back to review any previous questions it can be scary. Congrats on the CCENT BTW, that test was a doozy for me. I think I had minutes left when I finished lol.

Yup, when I did that I immediately panicked, followed by a "Oh ill just go back" followed by panic. lol

Follow my OSCP Thread!