Options

The "Beast" is Slain

frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
I passed with a 721, 40 questions, 3 sims.

My only concern is that a print out didn't print out in the testing center. They said that sometimes when people decline to fill out the optional survey that the score won't print out. They said everything would be fine and that the score would upload to Prometric, etc. However, I have read horry stories in these forums that sometimes people get screwed in similar scenarios.

Should I be concerned?

As for preparation, I failed my 1st time in February and put off studying for a little while until about a month ago. I used Transcender, Microsoft Press Suite, and CBT Nuggets. I can't remember specifics right now about the actual exam and I don't want violate the non-disclosure stuff, but if you use the products I've listed above you should be alright.

This was the hardest exam I've taken so far, the key is to be able to process the information given, instead of just memorizing facts, it's not like the A+ or Net+ where it's just pure memorization. It is all scenario based, and you have to understand the circumstances of the scenarios in order to deduce the correct answer. This exam ranked 9 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. I hated studying for this exam and I'm glad it's out of the way, CCNA here I come!!!

Comments

• Options
    ArbeiderArbeider Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing this exam. It's my next. Good luck on the ccna
    Certifications: ITILF / MCP / MCDST
    Passed the: EX0-100 / 70-270 / 70-271 / 70-272 / 70-290
    Next to do: 70-284 / 70-285 / 70-291 / 70-293 / 70-294 / 70-297 / 70-298 / 70-299 / 70-350
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    YAY icon_cheers.gif ...
    don't worry about the score sheet, and i never fill out the survey thing so that's obviously not a problem.
    unless i am silently getting screwed, but i can't feel anything lol.
    witty comment
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    frankj1247 wrote:
    I passed with a 721, 40 questions, 3 sims.

My only concern is that a print out didn't print out in the testing center. They said that sometimes when people decline to fill out the optional survey that the score won't print out. They said everything would be fine and that the score would upload to Prometric, etc. However, I have read horry stories in these forums that sometimes people get screwed in similar scenarios.

Should I be concerned?

As for preparation, I failed my 1st time in February and put off studying for a little while until about a month ago. I used Transcender, Microsoft Press Suite, and CBT Nuggets. I can't remember specifics right now about the actual exam and I don't want violate the non-disclosure stuff, but if you use the products I've listed above you should be alright.

This was the hardest exam I've taken so far, the key is to be able to process the information given, instead of just memorizing facts, it's not like the A+ or Net+ where it's just pure memorization. It is all scenario based, and you have to understand the circumstances of the scenarios in order to deduce the correct answer. This exam ranked 9 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. I hated studying for this exam and I'm glad it's out of the way, CCNA here I come!!!

I very seriously doubt the issue had anything to do with the questionaire. If you tested at prometric, it's pretty common to leave there without a score report. They've been having more and more problems with the test engines and with the score report print outs.
  • Options
    Keatron,

So, not having the piece of paper doesn't mean that I won't get my score uploaded to the Prometric Servers?

-Frank
  • Options
    bbbngowcbbbngowc Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass. I'm taking it this Friday and like you, I don't like studying for this exam. I'm relieved tho', I'm using the same materials as you are so hopefully things will go smoothly.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I passed my 290 about a month ago and never received a printout....and my MCP profile shows that i passed it.

just sucks that you dont get to see which areas you did strong/weak in.
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    good job, congratulations
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    gbhpboygbhpboy Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    great job Frank, brilliant !

you won't be screwed, don't worry, but the beast just has been, nice one !

good luck with future studies.
  • Options
    frankj1247 wrote:
    Keatron,

So, not having the piece of paper doesn't mean that I won't get my score uploaded to the Prometric Servers?

-Frank

Not at all. Your score will be uploaded automatically. They just have bugs in their test management software, which usually surfaces in either the printing of the score reports, or by actually crashing/locking up the exam. And just for those of you who haven't experienced this yet, when the test engine freezes, the proctor usually just needs to reboot the computer and the test will come back up and be right at the last question you answered. I'm not sure if this is SOP or what, but I've seen some who go through a few diagnostics, when it all fails, reboot and all is well. The bad thing about the score report not being printed is if you fail and don't get a score report, you have no idea which areas you did the worst on. However, calling the candidate care line or emailing them usually get's you a mailed score report within 10 days. If you'll settle for a pdf copy of it being emailed to you, you can sometimes get it in 3 days.

Keatron.
  • Options
    The BEAST is my **** NOW!!!

I'm gonna put the CCNA on hold because after reading the 70-293 forums I have gathered that this exam is like a sequel to a really bad movie that will never end, just this time shorter; with a couple new characters and a less complicated plot to follow.

I hope to get it out of the way, less than a month

This exam needs a nickname, any ideas?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    frankj1247 wrote:
    I'm gonna put the CCNA on hold
    Congratulations!

Hum.... I guess we can wait a month to get you over in the Cisco forums.....

Smack it down hard -- and make it cry! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    solo79solo79 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am taking this test on Monday. Any Pointers? How many questions? What kind of sims were there. 290 almost killed me. This one seems as tough...

Thanks!
    Finally ALL Done!!!!!!! MCSE:Messaging - Task Complete
  • Options
    If 290 almost killed you, then this one will chew you up and spit you out. jk.

Seriously though, 291 is alot harder than 290, you have to know DNS inside out. As long as you're registered for your 2nd FREE shot, I don't see why you shouldn't take the exam just to see what happens.

40 questions, 3 or 4 sims, that's all I remember. Just know DNS thouroughly and you'll be alright and the BEAST will be your B-I-T-C-H.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing how I do. I started with a new company a few weeks ago and have about a month to get my MCSE... Yes, I must be crazy and if I wasn't before I will be at the end. My brain is getting to be mush but I push on. 2 tests a week for the next four weeks. I also have to get the messaging specialty. Need to go stick my nose in a book. Thanks for the info!!!
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Solo79, you must be mad, two exams a week, your brain will be swiss cheese by the time you finished. Good luck though. I am trying for 1 exam a month and that is hard enough.

:o
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Congratulations on your pass!! Now that you have your MCSA how many more exams do you need to take for MCSE?

Cheers!!
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    I need 3 more exams, I'm taking 70-293 on Tuesday, It's only been two weeks since my 291 pass, so I might be jumping the gun, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I plan on taking 284 for my elective.

SOLO79,
    I don't know who you're working for, but to get your MCSE 2003 in a month is impossible, well ofcourse unless you're a genius. I've heard of really smart people getting their MCSE 2003 in a couple of months, but not a month, that's crazy, I think you're employer misunderstands what the MCSE 2003 really is. From what I have gathered it usually takes your average techie about a year, ofcourse there are exceptions and if you turn out to be one all power to you, but if you're not don't put too much pressure on yourself for not being one of the handful of men who have walked on the moon.
  • Options
    Well, they have a deadline, I was an admin for two different companies without the cert. I have a pretty good knowledge on how it all works anyway. I have a testing lab at home and at work. I am diligently working on the things that I don't know. Part of the situation is I think for my employer is they have a deadline for something. All I can do is try. It's a good company just under some heat with certifications. I take this tomorrow and have read the MS Press book, tinkered with my lab. I am under some stress to say the least... I will let you know how I do. The thing about me is I want to know why everything works the way it does, some don't. It won't do me any good not to learn it even in a short amount of time....

Wish me luck!
  • Options
    solo79 wrote:
    Well, they have a deadline, I was an admin for two different companies without the cert. I have a pretty good knowledge on how it all works anyway. I have a testing lab at home and at work. I am diligently working on the things that I don't know. Part of the situation is I think for my employer is they have a deadline for something. All I can do is try. It's a good company just under some heat with certifications. I take this tomorrow and have read the MS Press book, tinkered with my lab. I am under some stress to say the least... I will let you know how I do. The thing about me is I want to know why everything works the way it does, some don't. It won't do me any good not to learn it even in a short amount of time....

Wish me luck!

They probably need another MCSE on staff to keep their Gold Partner status, I've seen it to many times.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    They probably need another MCSE on staff to keep their Gold Partner status, I've seen it to many times.

Yeah, I think this happens a lot. The company I work for was up front about it when they offered me the job. They said that they needed a person with an MCSE to maintain their Gold Partner status and get more 'licenses' so to say.

It was fine by me, because for one I wanted to get it and second, they are paying for it. icon_cool.gif

On a side note, I don't know how the hell Solo79 expects to obtain his MCSE in 1 month. But I'll say Good Luck to you!

And of course ... Congrats FrankJ on passing the exam icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Just to clarify it's "her" MCSE and I missed passing this one today only by 21 points. Pretty ticked about the 21 points. Will retake by the end of the week. I believe that I can do it (MCSE and all), But it's a 12 hours a day plus weekends prepping. Thanks for all your comments. It's nice to know there are those out there going through the same thing, although without the deadlines. Everything has just taken a back seat to this. Thanks for the support. icon_lol.gif