Options

Home Lab for CCNA and beyond

jhubert74jhubert74 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am starting my journey and have started studying for ICND1. I want to do hands on labs and am NOT looking for bare minimums get by for CCNA.. I would like to piece together a lab that will suit my needs for CCNP studies or even other CCNA such as voice or security. If I were to purchase 3 switches and 3 routers to start off with, what would you suggest?

Thanks
Jason

Comments

• Options
    pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished ICND1 and have moved onto ICND2.

Im currently using 3 3560 switches and 3 2611xm routers. I inherited these from my dad so that was a plus, looking to get an ASA 5506x for CCNA sec studies, £700 however lol
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Based on your requirements I would say:
    routers - 2800 series ( not the 2801 if you want voice)
    switches - 3560, 3750

The 2600 series are quite enough for associate level, but for professional you need some feature rich platform like ISR.
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options
    robo78 wrote: »
    Based on your requirements I would say:
    routers - 2800 series ( not the 2801 if you want voice)
    switches - 3560, 3750

The 2600 series are quite enough for associate level, but for professional you need some feature rich platform like ISR.

So if budget isn't an issue (within reason) would you just do 3 X 3750's or is that overkill and not necessary?
    Also, if you have specific router model suggestions in the 2800 series I would be grateful.
    So in a nutshell I am thinking 3 switches / 3 routers / access server to make switching back and forth less hell. :)
    Any other ideas welcome.
    Thanks for the suggestions and help

Jason
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well you don't really say where you are.

for certs beyond the ccna, your going to pretty much want equipment that run version 15 of the ios. And, you'll need the appropriate feature set.

so, for switches, you can't add more memory. What you get is what you have. And, version 15 of the ios require 16mb and up of flash memory to load it onto the switch. There are a lot of 2960/3560/3750 switches that come with only 16mb of flash. And, you will not be able to put a version 15 of the ios on them. Be sure what ever model of switch you get that it has 32mb of flash. Then be sure you get the right feature set. lanlite/ipbase is the dumbed down version of lanbase/ipservices. You want the lanbase/ipservices because then your switch will truely be a layer 3 switch.

And, 4 3560/3750 will work fine for you. you could save a few dollars and subsitute 2 2960's. if you get 3750's it is best to get at least two for stackwise.

as far as routers, it is best to get those that run version 15 of the ios also. but, you will need the expandability to support serial cards (at least for ccnp). Many of the isr routers do support voice. But, there really isn't a voice cert right now. The cert is combined with video. And, to do video you will need isr gen 2 routers. right now these are expensive (at for me). For now I'd get equipment that will support the ccnp. Get my ccna, ccnp, and ccna security. And, then like a year or two from now. isr gen 2 equipment will be a lot cheaper. re evaluate what your needs are then.

again, the feature set is important. ipbase will get you through the ccna. you will adv security for ccna security. And, advipservices if you want to do ipv6. And, of course, you need to have enough memory to load and run that version and feature set of the ios.

what you will need is 2 serial wics in 3 routers and a 4th with 4 serial wics for the ccnp.

with that said, the 1841 is a good choice. 256 ram/64mb flash a couple of serial wics and the right version and feature set. The router is quiet. But, rack mounting brackets are hard to come by (expensive).

the 2811 is another good choice. it is larger than the 1841. fans are louder (some say much louder). But with an access server you can work remotely so to speak.

the 1841 and 2811 are on the small/light side and therefore cheaper to ship. The 2821/2851 are bigger/heavier and more expensive to ship.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    look for a used digi cm 32 or 48 on ebay. wont be more than $60-70. much better than a cisco 2501 or others.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    look for a used digi cm 32 or 48 on ebay. wont be more than $60-70. much better than a cisco 2501 or others.

How would you compare the digi cm 32/48 to a Cisco 2511-RJ access server? Ease of setup, ease of use, etc... ?
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    Well you don't really say where you are.

for certs beyond the ccna, your going to pretty much want equipment that run version 15 of the ios. And, you'll need the appropriate feature set.

I appreciate all the detailed suggestions. It looks like you are suggesting 4 switches? 2 3560's and 2 3750's with 32mb of flash to accommodate ios 15. I am curious how I make sure the feature set of the switches will be lanbase/ipservices when purchasing on ebay. Is that normally listed?
  • Options
    it is best for the ccnp to use 4 switches. But, I'm thinking only 3 are really necessary.

some people recommend 3 switches for the ccna. I passed using only 2.

I recommend purchasing what you need now. and purchase more later as you need it.

used cisco equipment is always going down in price. Don't let it go down while it is sitting on your shelf because your not using it. let the price drop while on someone else's shelf.

I am curious how I make sure the feature set of the switches will be lanbase/ipservices when purchasing on ebay.

1) the listing does include that information.
    2) ask before buying. if they don't tell you or won't, it probably doesn't have that feature set.
    3) buy from someone like me, who will make sure you get what you want.

from Fargo, I've been through there. live in the twin cities now.

How would you compare the digi cm 32/48 to a Cisco 2511-RJ access server? Ease of setup, ease of use, etc... ?
    I have used various models of the cisco access server. Never used one before, but there was lots of information online to help me. Now that i've set up a few, it is pretty easy.

The digi is cheaper than the cisco, way cheaper on a per port basis. But, are you really going to need to use 48 ports. I looked into one a while back, but couldn't find information on how to set one up. There are a few on this forum that have them and love them. Maybe you get one of them to help you set one up.

they both use roll over cables i think

the digi uses embeded linux, the 2511 uses an old version of the ios. So, both are a bit one offs from an ios that your going to be running for studying. And, the digi is further off.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jhubert74 wrote: »

It doesn't matter if I need 8 ports or 48 ports. It is just that way because they are cheap enough that you'd find a deal for it.
    Currently at CDW, it is $3,776.99. On ebay, it goes for $70ish used usually. I have no idea why but with all lab gear, they push 10 or so years old.

These things are extremely easy to set up. All web interface no cli.
    It has decent security, authentication and management. including port access to devices via telnet/ssh, or even via the java web interface.

you connect your cisco devices to it with regular ethernet patch cables.
    you connect your digi cm to your local LAN however you want with regular patch cables too. no need for cisco octal cables.

You then just ssh into these devices through your digi cm the same way you would with any access server.
    you would set specific L4 ports to point to the physical port on the digi when you ssh into the digi.

Also, dont worry that the digi is 'one off' from the ios you find in the 2511. You're only going to be setting the thing up once, why would it matter that it has to be ios too? you literally will never be configuring it more than once or twice after its set up. wouldnt you rather use a web interface and get it over with?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jhubert74 wrote: »
    So if budget isn't an issue (within reason) would you just do 3 X 3750's or is that overkill and not necessary?
    Also, if you have specific router model suggestions in the 2800 series I would be grateful.
    So in a nutshell I am thinking 3 switches / 3 routers / access server to make switching back and forth less hell. :)
    Any other ideas welcome.
    Thanks for the suggestions and help

Jason

These days, if I should choose , it would be two or three 3750 (stacking capatibilities ) and 3560 or 2960 as allready clarson adviced. Also It's not bad idea to have more type of devices, not just one.
    So these are relative cheap ( not the gigabit 3750 - you don't need gigabit at all for labbing - that is overkill imo) and obtainable.
    Regardind routers - again clarson hit the subject very well.
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options
    [h=1]Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750V2-48PS-S 48-Port PoE Switch WS-C3750-48PS-S LATEST VER[/h][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=2]15.0 IPSERVICE IOS[/h]
    Would 3 of these be sufficient ?? Ebay 79.99 / each with Make Offer button. What do you think doable offer would be?
  • Options
    the 3750v2's do have 32mb of flash. 3750-48ps-s only has 16mb of flash.