set to start Linux Admin job next week, job interviewed for before just made offer

mikwelquemikwelque Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I accepted a really good position that I am starting next week. I am excited to start and had no hesitations until earlier today.

Today I got a call from a job I interviewed with 3 months ago. Mind you I thought I bombed the interview because I did not know most of the technical questions, and I felt the position was way above me based on that.

I got an email today asking if I am still available and if I want the position. I said that I am starting a new job next week and am not trying to move on, but that I wanted to give him a call to discuss...

So he tells me they want to send me to paid training to get more Redhat Linux experience. He said they know I am not as knowledgeable as they need for the position but that they thought I have great potential and that I am very smart, that they could turn me into a Subject Matter Expert. That's all great....here's where the story turns....They offered me 40K more than the position I am supposed to start next week. Also I would be bumped up to a TS/SCI clearance

The downside is it's a contract position (still 3 years left on contract). The other position I have been offered that I am supposed to start is for a private sector company.

My contact at the company told me that they understand that I took a new job recently, and that they took forever to get back to me, so if I say no that they understand. They said they had been waiting to get the approval for the position and then in turn to hire me and just now got that approval

I'm stuck I mean I don't want to be a job hopper....but how do I turn down a 40K pay raise and paid training....it's actually too good to be true to the point I feel a bit weary of the whole deal.

What position do you think I should take?

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thats freaking awesome!!!!! Congratulations :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you haven't started the lower paying job yet, take the higher paying one instead.

Like they said, it's not personal it's business. Employers don't owe you any loyalty. You need to watch out for #1, which is yourself.

Just make sure you spend you remaining time with the higher paying one wisely since you know you may not be with them in 3 years.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations - sounds like you have some great options.

First thing is that you need to get the new company to move quickly. There are a few things to consider.
    1. Assuming that you already resigned from your current job, you have to consider if you can deal with not having a paycheck if the new company cannot bring you on immediately.
    2. There is no way that you would be viewed as a job hopper. In certain job markets, it's not uncommon for candidates to get multiple offers.
    3. Don't retract your acceptance where you plan to start until you have a signed written offer from the second company.
    4. Let the new company know that you would need to have a written offer today if possible. Professionally, you want to be able to give the other company as much time as possible.
    Until you have an actual written offer, it's all just talk.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3 years is a long time, for some that would be considered a full time position. Besides, 120k more over the span of 3 years is equivalent to another full time year at another company, so you are making 4 years worth of money. The advantage is that they will send you to paid training and get you clearance. Those two benefits alone in 3 years could put you in a good position for future jobs. Go with the higher paying job since you haven't started yet.
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a great problem to have congratulations. icon_thumright.gif
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $40k is alot but as a contract position are there any benefits? If not then that $40k won't be quite as much as it seems. If it does include benefits then I would seriously consider taking them up on it. With the training they are offering you shouldn't have much trouble down the road if the contract ends. Also, work out the details of what happens while you are waiting for your TS/SCI. Those take quite awhile. Will you be sitting at home with no pay during those months waiting? Good luck!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikwelque wrote: »
    ....but how do I turn down a 40K pay raise and paid training....

You don't. icon_thumright.gif
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For $40k there should be little to think about unless it won't be a good fit with your work/life balance.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That 3 year contract sounds like a pretty amazing opportunity. The only thing that would make me turn it down is if the other company had amazing benefits and perks. And was a lot closer commute. Even than it would be tough to turn that down that contract position.
    For an extra 40k per year just PAY for those extra benefits lol. What's an extra week of vacation getting paid 40k less? lol.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take it, higher pay, TS, T RA INING! Plus the contract can be renewed after 3 years. Go for it!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For an extra 40k per year just PAY for those extra benefits lol. What's an extra week of vacation getting paid 40k less? lol.

Health insurance, 401k matching, gym access, and performance increases (that 40k difference probably wouldn't be 40k in a year). Not to mention there is usually many unique perks that different companies offer. I work an entertainment company and get free access to a golf course and a horse track. They also have an onsite daycare that I get 50% off of, which saves like 10k a year. My wife just got a company vehicle she can drive around as her personal vehicle.

That 40k sounds great, but after taxes and it is pretty easy to cover. And commute would be a big thing for me.

The fact they want to send the person to Linux training right off the bat to become the SME sounds the best part to me.
    Health insurance, 401k matching, gym access, and performance increases (that 40k difference probably wouldn't be 40k in a year). Not to mention there is usually many unique perks that different companies offer. I work an entertainment company and get free access to a golf course and a horse track. They also have an onsite daycare that I get 50% off of, which saves like 10k a year. My wife just got a company vehicle she can drive around as her personal vehicle.

That 40k sounds great, but after taxes and it is pretty easy to cover. And commute would be a big thing for me.

The fact they want to send the person to Linux training right off the bat to become the SME sounds the best part to me.

Touche.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    no brainer-er
    don't be scared of contract positions, if you get settled in and your co-workers like you then you are golden. They will possibly bring you on full time. plus, paid training?? I would do it, unless they have really weird contract where you have to stay for a long period of time to satisfy the paid training. just be sure to find that out and read the fine print. if you are not sure, just ask them...it's better to ask than assume.
    congrats and HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • mikwelquemikwelque Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice and the congrats everyone. Like some others said, it's not a bad problem to have!

A few things to add....I still have not received a written offer from the contracting position or 100% confirmation that they want to offer me the job. Also for commuting..... the job I accepted is a 50 minute commute each way while the contracting position would be closer to 1 hr & 15-20 minutes each way.

The contract is only technically good for the next 2ish years. They hope and expect that it gets extended through 2020.

The contracting position is a W2 position with benefits ( don't know specifics but won't be as good as the private sector company ).

From what I was told, they want to send me to a RHCA or RHCE (probably the former) boot camp(s), and they plan to have me work with a lot of new open source technology.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice and the congrats everyone. Like some others said, it's not a bad problem to have!

A few things to add....I still have not received a written offer from the contracting position or 100% confirmation that they want to offer me the job. Also for commuting..... the job I accepted is a 50 minute commute each way while the contracting position would be closer to 1 hr & 15-20 minutes each way.

The contract is only technically good for the next 2ish years. They hope and expect that it gets extended through 2020.

The contracting position is a W2 position with benefits ( don't know specifics but won't be as good as the private sector company ).

From what I was told, they want to send me to a RHCA or RHCE (probably the former) boot camp(s), and they plan to have me work with a lot of new open source technology.
    Are you going to be a DOD contractor? I am having a hard time understanding your definition of 'contract position'. If you are W2 than you are going to be a FTE, 1099 is usually 'contract position'. W2 positions normally come with full benefits. What if you dont get your TS/SCI? Some people have been in the process for 9-18 months.
    Can I ask what are your Linux qualifications? Curious, I'm learning now and just want to know the extent of your skills and such.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    Are you going to be a DOD contractor? I am having a hard time understanding your definition of 'contract position'. If you are W2 than you are going to be a FTE, 1099 is usually 'contract position'. W2 positions normally come with full benefits. What if you dont get your TS/SCI? Some people have been in the process for 9-18 months.

It sounds to me like he will be working for a defense contractor as an FTE.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • mikwelquemikwelque Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update: Contract fell through for the contracting job that was going to pay more. Yes it was a FTE position for a defense contractor in New York. Good thing I approached the situation with caution and didnt want to think too hard about a decision until I got a firm offer letter.

Im still in good shape, I was actually leaning toward the lower paying job anyways and I'll still be getting an 11K pay raise.

sillymcnasty - My background is in and I work with Redhat and do mostly just your typical Sys Admin, monitoring, etc type of work for servers. Gotta know how to navigate the CLI and things like that. I dont know much scripting beyond occasionally doing bash scripts for basic functions.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Take the second offer. Red Hat trainings are priceless. 3 years is a long time and you will be very experienced by then. 40K and clearance. No brainer mate

congrats
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Update: Contract fell through for the contracting job that was going to pay more. Yes it was a FTE position for a defense contractor in New York. Good thing I approached the situation with caution and didnt want to think too hard about a decision until I got a firm offer letter.

Im still in good shape, I was actually leaning toward the lower paying job anyways and I'll still be getting an 11K pay raise.

sillymcnasty - My background is in and I work with Redhat and do mostly just your typical Sys Admin, monitoring, etc type of work for servers. Gotta know how to navigate the CLI and things like that. I dont know much scripting beyond occasionally doing bash scripts for basic functions.

Thanks. Sorry to hear that, but congrats on the 11k raise!
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Huh small world. I already answered you on Reddit.

I guess good thing it all worked out for you icon_profileleft.gif