Options

Anyone invest in crypto currency?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I had a discussion with my wife and after explaining some things, she gave the ok to buy some al coins. As long as we dont put everything we have. So i put 250 of XRP and got 312 coins. Lets hope next year it will be 100.
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    No way it will reach $100 in a year.
    Maybe $3-4
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Krusader wrote: »
    No way it will reach $100 in a year.
    Maybe $3-4

Bitcoin at $700 in January 2017. Its 19000 in December 2017. No one knows for sure, but one can hope.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Bitcoin at $700 in January 2017. Its 19000 in December 2017. No one knows for sure, but one can hope.

Crypto def. seems to be speculative investing but even $3-4 is a great ROI if you ask me.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I cashed in 6 LTE coins Friday, got my original invest back, the other 11.7 coins I have are pure profit to me, there no down side at this point for me.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    A gentleman showed me his phone today and he made 47K. I seen it with my own eyes. I am sure I would not have believed it if he hadn't.

I am on Coin Base rightttttttttttttttt now signing up.

I lost money on the FB IPO pulling out. I remember buying the FB for like 39 Bucks. Now it is around 178 bucks. I dropped 5k in it and pulled out when it dropped. You do the math.

I am just going to transfer some funds and watch and observe.

I like the steps Mr/ Ms. Hurricane laid out. Although, I will use multiple sources.

Even if I lose, I need some deductions for this tax year so it'll be a win/win regardless, especially if I lose money. As ridiculous as that sounds reading it..

Coin Base has some interesting reviews icon_rolleyes.gif:

http://bittrust.org/coinbase
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can only stress, don't keep your wallet (or rather, your main wallet) with an online service. Get an offline wallet or a hardware equivalent. After what happened recently with nicehash, leaving your currency online is asking for trouble.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    My only complain with Coinbase is they support so few currencies, I wish they supported the top 10 currencies.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    A gentleman showed me his phone today and he made 47K. I seen it with my own eyes. I am sure I would not have believed it if he hadn't.

I beg to differ, unless he exchanged Cryptocurrency for dollars, then he really didn't make anything. He has a potential profit of 47k, but tomorrow it could be worthless or worth more.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm just holding my breathe waiting for the next big correction. These gains aren't realistic anymore imo... Profits need to be taken at some point.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    There won't be any big stock sales for the rest of this year because of the tax implications for 2016. It may be that the timing of paying taxes might have an effect on the "profit-taking" of crytpo-currencies as well. It's something to consider.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There won't be any big stock sales for the rest of this year

What do you mean "stocks" isn't it supposed to be a currency?? hehe icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I put $48 into Tron(TRX) back when it was under $.01 and got 9216 coins. I exchanged it after it went up to $.02 and then started to tank and got out at $.01.4. Man I wish I would have waited. It was upto $.05 last night. I still turned my $48 into $125 as long as BTC doesn't tank as well. Still I could have $460 from $48. I also put $700 into MIOTA and bout it for $4.56 a coin about a week and a half ago when it was on a huge rise and looked to be going up. Well it has dropped below that price now and hasn't really come close since. Hopefully it goes backup before I loose it.
  • Options
    I also put $700 into MIOTA and bout it for $4.56 a coin about a week and a half ago when it was on a huge rise and looked to be going up. Well it has dropped below that price now and hasn't really come close since. Hopefully it goes backup before I loose it.

I put about $1000 into IOTA when it was about 40 cents and sold it a few weeks after for a small profit... I also bought 120 NEO when it was about $7 and sold that for small profit a few weeks after... Granted I'm up money (hard not to be atm...) , but I just keep shooting myself in the foot all over place!

**Yells at self** "Just stop looking at it constantly!"

Put a little bit in Civic earlier this week. We'll see...
  • Options
    I put about $1000 into IOTA when it was about 40 cents and sold it a few weeks after for a small profit... I also bought 120 NEO when it was about $7 and sold that for small profit a few weeks after... Granted I'm up money (hard not to be atm...) , but I just keep shooting myself in the foot all over place!

**Yells at self** "Just stop looking at it constantly!"

Put a little bit in Civic earlier this week. We'll see...

Where did you buy iota? did you buy it using USD or did you use btc or ltc?
  • Options
    Where did you buy iota? did you buy it using USD or did you use btc or ltc?

BTC on Bitfinfex.

Which makes me think of another thing that is really annoying. Not all currencies are on each exchange! Only reasons why I havent bought any REQ. Too lazy make another account and get verified.
  • Options
    BTC on Bitfinfex.

Which makes me think of another thing that is really annoying. Not all currencies are on each exchange! Only reasons why I havent bought any REQ. Too lazy make another account and get verified.

bitfinfex not allowed for US residents.
  • Options
    Is that recent? Honestly I haven't been back on that site since I sold my IOTA awhile back.
  • Options
    Is that recent? Honestly I haven't been back on that site since I sold my IOTA awhile back.

It seems like it happened within the last 4 months or so I think. I had to buy it through binance as they are the only one that I know of selling it for US residents.
  • Options
    So what just happened? 20% correction in BTC and LTC?

I saw on the news earlier that a company that was traded in the exchange was halted. Was this what caused the correction?
  • Options
    BTC on Bitfinfex.

Which makes me think of another thing that is really annoying. Not all currencies are on each exchange! Only reasons why I haven't bought any REQ. Too lazy make another account and get verified.

I know what you mean, Just wanted to buy some PeerCoin, Changelly.com support around 30 currencies, but Peer isn't one of them. Bittrex isn't accepting new accounts at the moment, and Poloniex want's me to have a webcam ti verify my identify. Very Frustrating.
  • Options
    So what just happened? 20% correction in BTC and LTC?

I saw on the news earlier that a company that was traded in the exchange was halted. Was this what caused the correction?

There was a Bitcoin Cash pump and **** after some news of it came out today. (I'm calling it a pump and ****, we'll see though) It started to spike when I got home from work and I was able make a nice little chunk very quickly, luckily... Everything will go back up in the next few days I'm assuming.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There was a Bitcoin Cash pump and **** after some news of it came out today. (I'm calling it a pump and ****, we'll see though) It started to spike when I got home from work and I was able make a nice little chunk very quickly, luckily... Everything will go back up in the next few days I'm assuming.
    May I ask how much you put in and how much profit you made? I'm looking at btc now and at the time of writing it's £12,813.78 and is down £770.93 (5.67%) in the past day. Part of me is saying: "invest, invest". The other part of me is saying: "resist".
  • Options
    Not a ton... I put a $1000 into it when it was at $2800 and sold it when it dropped back down to $3500. (it hit $4000 just a few minutes before that) About a 30% profit in like an hour and put my money back some alts. Which went up about another 10% overnight. (wish I would just listened to Hurricane and put it in ARK, that had a nice night! Kinda looking at CVC for a short term spike atm.)

But today BCH is back up to over what I sold it at so I could be wrong. I'm still skeptical about BCH (or BCC, seen it different in different places) and haven't bought back in. Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Feel like it is teetering right now and could go either way. Just hoping it goes down and people pump more money into ALTs.

I'm just doing this for fun and don't have a ton of money invested in personally.

Edit: back over 4k already icon_sad.gif 5k today maybe? I still haven't bought back. Think it will be hard for it to go too much higher, but I've said probably about every coin and they just keep going.
  • Options
    Following bitcoin has proven scary - it is up and down far too much for me to want to risk getting involved. I would love to throw say £500 on it and ride out the storm - but it has lost 7.11% in a day - that's too big of a drop for me to want to put some serious money in. And then there's the fact that the exchanges can be hacked. It's a risky game. I've currently got £70 worth of litecoin and to be honest, as soon as it makes any profit i'll cash out. Litecoin is probably the most unstable coin at the moment.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    Following bitcoin has proven scary - it is up and down far too much for me to want to risk getting involved. I would love to throw say £500 on it and ride out the storm - but it has lost 7.11% in a day - that's too big of a drop for me to want to put some serious money in. And then there's the fact that the exchanges can be hacked. It's a risky game. I've currently got £70 worth of litecoin and to be honest, as soon as it makes any profit i'll cash out. Litecoin is probably the most unstable coin at the moment.

You store your currency in a wallet that is password protected, and you do not store that password on the computer. Fairly safe. Get a ledger nano if that is not enough. It goes up and it goes down. LTC has been $300+ for over a week and actually decently stable.

Risky game, sure. Put money in and let it ride. You don't rebalance your 401k every 3 hours, don't rebalance your cryptocurrency portfolio every 2 hours either if you cannot handle the swings. Put money in, and let it ride.

Looking back, I was right on some things and wrong on others. NEO and XRP did well, but so did ARK and LISK. Still would recommend ARK and REQ to anyone new, they have plenty of growth opportunity.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got in on XRP at 47 cents. I wouldn't mind if Coinbase added it to its list.
  • Options
    You store your currency in a wallet that is password protected, and you do not store that password on the computer. Fairly safe. Get a ledger nano if that is not enough. It goes up and it goes down. LTC has been $300+ for over a week and actually decently stable. Risky game, sure. Put money in and let it ride. You don't rebalance your 401k every 3 hours, don't rebalance your cryptocurrency portfolio every 2 hours either if you cannot handle the swings. Put money in, and let it ride. Looking back, I was right on some things and wrong on others. NEO and XRP did well, but so did ARK and LISK. Still would recommend ARK and REQ to anyone new, they have plenty of growth opportunity.
    I have coinbase open on my phone most of the day and I see the drops so that's probably why I consider it unstable. The problem is the transaction fee when you transfer from coinbase to a wallet. I wish it was much cheaper.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I have coinbase open on my phone most of the day and I see the drops so that's probably why I consider it unstable. The problem is the transaction fee when you transfer from coinbase to a wallet. I wish it was much cheaper.

I feel ya
  • Options
    put $800 into reddcoin(rdd) earlier today and its upto $1600. Just hope that it keeps going up for awhile. About to put in XP coin and see where that gets me.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You Coinbasers need to move to GDAX to avoid those fees.