Options

The commute makes a difference

2»

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently have a 35 minute commute on mostly rural roads. I used to commute into Chicago every day and wouldn't want to do it again. Up at 3:30am to be on the road by 4am so I could beat the traffic. It was pretty miserable. I could manage about an hour or a little more depending on if the drive was in traffic or not. I also only fill up once every two weeks for my current commute. Doubling the distance doubles the costs so it has to be factored in.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently have an eight minute walk to get to work. This allows me time to get extra sleep, study and go to the gym. I previously had to commute into Washington, DC from Woodbridge, VA. On a good day, it took me an hour to get to work. I then had to find a parking spot. When it rains, it was no less then two hours stuck in traffic. I hated living in that region.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me the most valuable thing i have is time. I have about a 7 minute commute to work and about 15 minutes back home due to increase in traffic in that direction, but man does it feel good to have that extra time. Having a shorter commute is healthier for you for a number of reasons:
    Less time in a seated position,
    You can get more sleep
    More time for studying
    Less rush in the mornings
    less chances of getting into a car accident
    Way less maintenance requirements on your vehicle. My car is 10 yrs old with 120k miles, but I've only put in about 15k miles in the last 3 years since starting my current job (My wife has a 2015 car that we use most of the time)
    So having such a short commute has an enormous monetary impact on you life as well.

The list goes on...